Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is fantastic for those of us who follow the rules!
+1

Just don't do a weight limit. I can pack a lot of gear in my backpack (usually my only carry on) which is expensive and critical to my work.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Depends on where you're going. Second checked bag international can cost $100.
I think this policy is more aimed at the domestic market. I can't recall an international flight I've been on where the overhead bins have filled up. Perhaps I've just been lucky!
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:20 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Yeah, all the fanbois are thinkin' they'll be happy 'cause "all them kettles" will get hassled. Wait till you get some officious jerk of a GA who pulls the "it didn't slip into the sizer without barely touching the sides" crap on your redeye when all you want to do is get home without a hassle and chargin' ya a hundred bucks or threatening to leave you off the plane. I can picture the threads about "a change you'll like" already.

But YMMV.

Safe travels.
I'm gonna measure the sizer tomorrow. It appears to me to be significantly larger than 9x14x22. I'll look at the personal item template as well.

As a side note, the biggest arguments are not from "all them kettles" as you state, but from the boarding groups that board thru premier access lanes "I've flown 3,000,000 miles with these bags and you're the 1st person to stop me..." I wonder how many times that works (I doubt all that many.) That isn't to say that boarding groups 3-5 don't pack 3 bags or oversized ones, just that they don't argue that it's ok.

Originally Posted by fireflash
Isn't the bag fee $25?
Also depends on how many you already have checked. It escalates.

And the bar code scanner software has for about a year now had (2) different buttons for checking a) bulk (bins are full) and b) OOC (Out of compliance...too big, too many...) Linking that to charge when it is already differentiated as to why it is being checked couldn't be that big of a deal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2015 at 6:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by fastair
I'm gonna measure the sizer tomorrow. It appears to me to be significantly larger than 9x14x22. I'll look at the personal item template as well.

As a side note, the biggest arguments are not from "all them kettles" as you state, but from the boarding groups that board thru premier access lanes "I've flown 3,000,000 miles with these bags and you're the 1st person to stop me..." I wonder how many times that works (I doubt all that many.) That isn't to say that boarding groups 3-5 don't pack 3 bags or oversized ones, just that they don't argue that it's ok.
Exactly my point. The squeakiest wheels will be the elites who get impinged. And we'll hear them all here.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Just finished packing my compliant bag for a 6 day trip to New York with room to spare. I would love for UA to figure out a solution to this, but this proposed method sounds more like Frontier, at a time when UA is trying to improve their image.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
I can imagine the policy causing some heated conflicts at the gate between unsuspecting pax forced to check...and now pay.

In theory it sounds good for most of us who know/follow the rules, and is of little impact, but there could be some unintended consequences.

I doubt UA will take this step any time soon, though, as there is likely to be major PR pain to the first (non-ULCC) mover, and cuts against some of the positive momentum UA has been trumpeting lately.
It usually does not take three pages for a note of reality, and someone who thinks beyond the "well I'm married to UAfkaCO, and I have carefully measured my bag to fit the rules crowd." Fact, other competitor carriers allow 24" bags, and have no issues (see e.g. SW, AS, VX). Fact, many 22" bags don't fit the sizer, but have absolutely no issues fitting in the overhead bins on every single UA mainline A/C wheels in.

United will just buy itself a bucket of bad will, further slow down the boarding process, and drive away yet more passengers.

I agree with you, that this would be a kill joy to an airline that has finally attempted to turn the corner on a very very very vary bad customer service reputation and culture.

Hey, I see preventing the guy from boarding with a huge dufle and two extra bags, but the baggage n--i act does no one any good.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by spin88
It usually does not take three pages for a note of reality, and someone who thinks beyond the "well I'm married to UAfkaCO, and I have carefully measured my bag to fit the rules crowd." Fact, other competitor carriers allow 24" bags, and have no issues (see e.g. SW, AS, VX). Fact, many 22" bags don't fit the sizer, but have absolutely no issues fitting in the overhead bins on every single UA mainline A/C wheels in.

United will just buy itself a bucket of bad will, further slow down the boarding process, and drive away yet more passengers.

I agree with you, that this would be a kill joy to an airline that has finally attempted to turn the corner on a very very very vary bad customer service reputation and culture.

Hey, I see preventing the guy from boarding with a huge dufle and two extra bags, but the baggage n--i act does no one any good.
True this.

To many headaches can pop up, e.g. recalcitrant customers arguing instead of expeditiously producing their credit cards, or who will lie and say that they left their card at home, and then what will UA do? Many Japanese clients of mine don't even carry credit cards when they travel to the US. They carry cash, and have prepaid their flights and lodging before they left Japan.

If they go this way, I can see nothing but delays. Forcing a gate check is one thing, but charging for it will open up a can of worms that UA won't want to deal with.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Fact, other competitor carriers allow 24" bags, and have no issues (see e.g. SW, AS, VX). Fact, many 22" bags don't fit the sizer, but have absolutely no issues fitting in the overhead bins on every single UA mainline A/C wheels in.
Well, UAs issue with 24" bags is that they have submitted he 22" max dimension to the FAA and it was approved at that, so unless they re-submit bigger dimensions for approval, this is the FAA-enforceable cabin baggage limit for UA. So they can be fined for allowing a 23" bag on board.

The overhead bin argument is getting old. I can fit a huge duffel bag in a bin, no problem, but it's going to take over the space for about 2 or 3 rows of bags. Limits are not based on bin size - never have and never will. Otherwise, you'd have different max dimensions for every aircraft type which would be a mess.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:44 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Agent roams boarding area before boarding starts.
That is what LH does, saw this at FRA a few days ago, and they don't fool around.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
What about people who travel without credit cards or cash? Tons of college and high school kids have no money when they travel. I can see bags starting to pile up near gates because people will not have the funds to pay.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
What about people who travel without credit cards or cash?
Dont overpack and follow the rules?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:00 am

They should be doing this right now, but they don't for some strange reason. I'd be happy if they just enforced their current policy slightly better to discourage the people who are obviously well out of compliance from flaunting the rules. Unfortunately I don't really see it happening without some connection to a new revenue generating policy
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fastair
Pretty sure it it 10x15x23 interior dimensions.

Fact, many 22" bags don't fit the sizer, but have absolutely no issues fitting in the overhead bins on every single UA mainline A/C wheels in.
Fact, that's still not the rule. I fit in the overhead bin on the 737s but I'm also not in the dimensions which are approved.

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Tons of college and high school kids have no money when they travel.
Sure they do.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I do hope this is true. It will make flying UA much less unpleasant.
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is fantastic for those of us who follow the rules!
+ 1000

a welcome change IF UA can manage to do this efficiently without holding up the boarding process and delaying flights
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Fact, many 22" bags don't fit the sizer, but have absolutely no issues fitting in the overhead bins on every single UA mainline A/C wheels in.
UA still has old bin aircraft which will not take my 22" Kirkland rollaboard wheels in. It has to go sideways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.