Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Not sure this is the best time for UA to further entrench its unfriendly image.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Yeah I personally would love to see some carry-on enforcement, but UA will get negative publicity if they are the first of the three legacies to implement such a program.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Pretty sure it it 10x15x23 interior dimensions.

Fact, that's still not the rule. I fit in the overhead bin on the 737s but I'm also not in the dimensions which are approved.
You most assuredly would not fit "wheels in" as spin88 stated. He is not arguing for being allowed to stow bags in the incorrect orientation, he is arguing that many bags that fit in the bins, in the correct orientation, will not fit the sizer because of the length dimension only, not the width (which is the only dimension that would adversely impact the maximum number of bags that can be stowed in the bin in the correct orientation).

All of this is ridiculously moot unless UA enforces the "personal item most go under the seat" rule. A small backpack or computer case, or even jackets/clothing, will prevent an additional large rollaboard from being stowed in the bin, thereby reducing the maximum number of rollaboards that can be brought onboard and thus, increasing the number of gate checks.

The most improvement in stowage congestion would be achieved from enforcing the "personal item must go under the seat" rule.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2015 at 6:18 pm Reason: DIscuss the issues, not the posters
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fireflash
I think this policy is more aimed at the domestic market. I can't recall an international flight I've been on where the overhead bins have filled up. Perhaps I've just been lucky!
Try flying to China.

Last trip there someone tried leaving their bag in the space near one of the doors--they didn't fess up until the last call for the owner to claim it or it would be left behind.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been pointed out in many other threads that the worst offenders of carry ons, be it size or too many or both, are elites. I see the worst offenders in groups 1 and 2 which is elites and CC holders and non-elite premium cabin passengers. So, for this to work they would have to charge everyone no matter their status.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by zombietooth

The most improvement in stowage congestion would be achieved from enforcing the "personal item must go under the seat" rule.
Or, perhaps, from eliminating checked baggage fees! haha

Anyway, love the new policy, if this turns out to be true

Originally Posted by Baze
It has been pointed out in many other threads that the worst offenders of carry ons, be it size or too many or both, are elites. I see the worst offenders in groups 1 and 2 which is elites and CC holders and non-elite premium cabin passengers. So, for this to work they would have to charge everyone no matter their status.
Yes, they definitely should!

They should also, during the on-line ticket sale as well as check-in web pages, clearly tell people what to expect at the gate, including the possible extra charges that will be incurred.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 1, 2015 at 2:37 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:49 pm

Hum, charge elites, when they don't ever pay a fee? Yeah, that'll go over like a fart in church.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hum, charge elites, when they don't ever pay a fee? Yeah, that'll go over like a fart in church.
Then maybe the offending elites will start complying with the rules then they wouldn't be paying any fees.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Agreed.

Normal people try to carry large bags, normally if they are offered to not have to lug it on and off the plane they will take a free gate check. Elites routinely put two bags in the overhead, when with modern seat density, three bags per side (at the larger wheelaboard dimension) will fit over two rows at six seats.

There is *zero chance* of this working effectively. If UA does this to elites, it will be viewed as persecuting those most loyal to them, to non-elites, people will tell their friends about how unfriendly of an airline it is.

I just can't see OP being true, it's too much of a powder keg. Traditionally, UA has seemed to enforce this at hubs where they have redcoats that don't work for the airline before security (NYC airports run by PANYNJ come to mind for me as a frequent traveler) who force the travelers to use sizers, they are a separate group to hate. Every other airport has relied off of people voluntarily checking bags.

If UA wants to go in the direction of Spirit's fares, they can; but if they charge more, the service level isn't expected to be $3 for a glass of water and strict carry on enforcement.

Also, as someone who had to gate check bags on my last two ORD -> LGA flights (standby so last to board), the fact that they have been upping ABT printers at the gate is the exact opposite of what I have encountered. I have had penciled UA "checked baggage" tags with a tearoff barcode and merely my flight number and final destination airport code written in my last two flights from ORD. The first time, the gate agent seemed surprised the bag tag printer didn't work, the second time (totally different gate), no surprise at all, straight for the manual tag. And this is a hub!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
well, if you have to check you bag many time and wait to get it at your destination ... perhaps then next time you pack conforming to the rules ... even if you don't have to pay extra at the gate due to your allowance.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:22 pm

The point is, I don't agree that elites are the violators of taking more than they are allowed on the plane. I very rarely see people in group one with more than a roll aboard and one "personal" item. I much more frequently see people in groups 3-5 bringing pillows, beach bags, massive backpacks, and more aboard the plane. Elites check their oversize bags, because they don't have to pay, and typically don't want to struggle with it. We also, travel enough to have invested in appropriate size bags to do the job, and have enough experience to not over pack.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Agent roams boarding area before boarding starts.
I saw this at BZN 3 weeks ago. GA walked around the gate area looking for non-compliant carry on baggage.

Originally Posted by Often1
I'd be just as happy if UA didn't collect the fee at the gate, but used a colored tag which directed to the bag to the baggage office at the destination. Let the scammers pony up after waiting in line.
Now this is an excellent idea!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Normal people try to carry large bags, normally if they are offered to not have to lug it on and off the plane they will take a free gate check.
Depends who. I'm sure there are some. However, on the previous threads on checked vs. carry on, many elites on this board say they don't check even though it's free and won't do so unless they absolutely have to.

The point is, I don't agree that elites are the violators of taking more than they are allowed on the plane. I very rarely see people in group one with more than a roll aboard and one "personal" item. I much more frequently see people in groups 3-5 bringing pillows, beach bags, massive backpacks, and more aboard the plane. Elites check their oversize bags, because they don't have to pay, and typically don't want to struggle with it. We also, travel enough to have invested in appropriate size bags to do the job, and have enough experience to not over pack.
I don't know if elites or non-elites are worse, but I've most definitely seen the problem from both. See above for one elite perspective. And yes, elites have enough experience but that doesn't mean they will follow the rules or have a compliant bag. There is enough DYKWIA behavior where they think the rules don't apply to them and that they won't get called out because they fly a lot, or use the, I flew with it as carry on on my past X flights, why does it need to be checked now?

I say who cares who it is, enforce it the same through all the boarding groups in the same way. If the elites don't like it, so be it. If the once a year fliers threaten to never fly UA again, that's fine too (especially since most will ignore that vow as soon as the ticket price is $1 cheaper on UA the next time they want to go somewhere).

I actually am starting to wonder if Fast Company had it right in an article where they suggested no carry on baggage except for a personal item. Would speed the boarding process, get rid of the size arguments, would be easier to travel through airports, no last minute gate checks when there is no more space in the overhead and have a host of other benefits.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by phltraveler
I just can't see OP being true, it's too much of a powder keg. Traditionally, UA has seemed to enforce this at hubs where they have redcoats that don't work for the airline before security (NYC airports run by PANYNJ come to mind for me as a frequent traveler) who force the travelers to use sizers, they are a separate group to hate. Every other airport has relied off of people voluntarily checking bags.
UA once tried to get size enforced by the TSA (at least 2 dimensions, putting a blocker in front of the xray machine). It got sued by another airline that shared the terminal and had more generous provisions, and lost.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
I saw this at BZN 3 weeks ago. GA walked around the gate area looking for non-compliant carry on baggage.
I have seen this several times recently ... now those got tagged for free ... guess that may no longer be the case in the future ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.