Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

This would also bring some entertainment to the boarding process. Although I do feel sorry for GAs who have to enforce the rule.
I predict the first six months' application of this 'new rule' will yield the ultimate goat rodeo on >70% of UA departures.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
I predict the first six months' application of this 'new rule' will yield the ultimate goat rodeo on >70% of UA departures.
We would probably have to start a new DYKWIA thread.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pgppetch
Gate check will now require payment of the appropriate checked bag fee for a given passenger. Bag tag printers are being installed at gates to speed the process. If you manage to get an oversize carry on or in excess of the 2 permitted, be ready to be required to gate check in order to board AND pay the checked bag fee applicable to your frequent flyer status
Don't most/all gates already have bag tag printers? Certainly every time I've ever seen then gate checking bags they print off proper checked bag tags.

Although there's certainly a small number of people who try and skirt the system by bring larger bags to the gate and then gate checking them for free, is this really a big enough problem that it's going to make much of a difference? There's no way they can charge for correctly-sized gate-checked bags (ie, those that end up getting checked because the overheads are full), so this can only be for the excessive number/size cases.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Have no problem with this and this should be the norm for all carriers. I've seen a fair share of oversize bags, as well as people bringing on too many. Not sure what else besides making people pay will stop it, since many people don't like listening to the rules, except as they want define them.

I've said this in other carry on bag threads, but those with bags that don't comply with carry on size and bring them to the gate expecting to board with them, or have it gate checked for free, should be charged the applicable checked bag fee, plus a penalty fee. Those with carry on size, but where there is no room anymore, should continue to check for free.

As for the system not taking the GAs from the boarding process, could do this: announce within 15 minutes of boarding time that anyone with bags not carry on size can come up to the podium to have them checked at applicable rates. Anyone with oversize bags at the boarding cutoffs are not considered at the gate ready to board, and per the COC, can be offloaded and treated as missing the boarding cutoff. Perhaps there's a phase in period of a couple of months leading up to this to give people time to get used to it - get a warning first I guess. Harsh...a bit, perhaps. But certainly fair.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Interestingly, I actually had a bag challenged last week for the first time in years (it fit, and the challenger thanked me after seeing it fit). It was at SFO.
My last flight out of SFO was two weeks ago and they (not sure if it was TSA or UA employees, didn't check) were actually making passengers put their bags in the sizers before security if they seemed to be oversized.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Good on UA. Most of the system has had these printers for quite some time. They are routinely used, just no fees collected.

2. Key is to have the agent handling the scammers off to the side so that the scammers have to step out of line. No reason to delay the push. If they aren't onboard, that's their tough.

3. Why grant status, CC and other waivers? If you can't follow the rules, why not simply assess the bag fees applicable to the class of service and give the DYKWIA's even more reason to check at the counter?

I'd be just as happy if UA didn't collect the fee at the gate, but used a colored tag which directed to the bag to the baggage office at the destination. Let the scammers pony up after waiting in line.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can gate agents currently process credit cards?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Often1
I'd be just as happy if UA didn't collect the fee at the gate, but used a colored tag which directed to the bag to the baggage office at the destination. Let the scammers pony up after waiting in line.
Ignoring the fact that they almost certainly don't have the facilities to do that at most airports (especially where their baggage services are outsourced), it is likely illegal for them to withhold a persons property in such a way.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Happy Days - Happy Days

Both my small roller and backpack fit easily in the UA and DL carry on. I can put either in the overhead of a CRJ. That being said, I do check one when flying a CRJ out of courtesy. I suspect there will be a TON of heartache at first.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is fantastic for those of us who follow the rules!
+1. And to be fair, probably 80-90% of passengers would agree. It's a handful of jerks on each flight who think the rules don't apply to them.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by bse118
IDK. I don't see any way that that they can implement this without slowing the boarding process down even more.
Maybe things will slow down a bit at first. But once people get used to how it's gonna be going forward, they'll just check their bags ahead of time. Actually, thinking about this a little more, what they ought to do is charge *more* to check your bag at the gate than at the normal bag-check area, to really discourage taking your chances at the gate.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:23 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
Can gate agents currently process credit cards?
Of course. They do so for buy-ups at the gate, for example.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I don't understand how this would do anything but increase revenue for UA. I see tons of kettles with huge carry-on bags every day not realize that gate-check is free, and immediately offer up their bags for gate-check once they realize it is free. If they start charging for gate-check, they will try harder to hide the fact that their bag is oversize to not pay the bag check fee, leading to more oversize bags in the OH bins. Additionally, gate check is being offered for free right now yet people are still taking oversized bags on board, thus I would imagine that the people doing so don't want their bags checked free or not; perhaps improving baggage reliability would do more for solving the OH bin problem than this. I'm always happy to check on AS because I know the bags will come out in 20 minutes.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is fantastic for those of us who follow the rules!
+1. In more than 2500 flights I've never carried on bags larger then permitted.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by emcampbe
As for the system not taking the GAs from the boarding process, could do this: announce within 15 minutes of boarding time that anyone with bags not carry on size can come up to the podium to have them checked at applicable rates. Anyone with oversize bags at the boarding cutoffs are not considered at the gate ready to board, and per the COC, can be offloaded and treated as missing the boarding cutoff. Perhaps there's a phase in period of a couple of months leading up to this to give people time to get used to it - get a warning first I guess. Harsh...a bit, perhaps. But certainly fair.
Better, just charge a penalty for anyone who gets caught rather than volunteering to check their oversize bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.