Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO 1R Departure on 77W

SFO-EWR on UA1657, operated with a 77W, we took off from 1R. I'd heard reports of heavies occasionally departing from the 1s but this was a first for me in about 30 years of flying ex-SFO. Wheels up just as we crossed the 28s.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO-EWR on UA1657, operated with a 77W, we took off from 1R. I'd heard reports of heavies occasionally departing from the 1s but this was a first for me in about 30 years of flying ex-SFO. Wheels up just as we crossed the 28s.
Most widebodies heading east on domestic routes that I've been on have used 1R. Much more infrequent on long haul routes it seems, I guess the longer 28s are needed then, although I've seen VS take off on 1R and I was once on an AY flight that used 1R.
chemengin likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I had thought 1L/1R are usually the runways being used for all domestic departures, including transcon flights. Always get a window seat on the left side of the plane for an opportunity to see all of SF before the turn to east.
chemengin and cczzll like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I had thought 1L/1R are usually the runways being used for all domestic departures, including transcon flights. Always get a window seat on the left side of the plane for an opportunity to see all of SF before the turn to east.
The normal pattern is landings on 28s, takeoffs on 1s, except the widebodies use 28 for takeoff because of runway length. When lined up for takeoff on the 1s, you'll often see the heavies lined up at 28.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The normal pattern is landings on 28s, takeoffs on 1s, except the widebodies use 28 for takeoff because of runway length. When lined up for takeoff on the 1s, you'll often see the heavies lined up at 28.
Occasional serious shifts in normal wind patterns will dictate a change in runways. Like at LAX during the Santa Ana winds. They take off to the east. Only happens on a few days of the year.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think the fuel weight makes a difference. Checking my flight diary, all the 789s running SFO-IAH I've been on used 1R and every heavy going across an ocean was the 28s.

In heavy crosswind days, I have seen lines of heavies sadly camped out at the end of the 10s waiting for a break in the wind since they need the longer runway (for long flights).
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
The only times I’ve seen a heavy domestic take off from the 28s has been when all the other departure traffic has also been using the 28s due to winds.

All the domestic heavies I’ve taken to EWR/JFK/IAD/ORD/DEN/IAH are usually on 1s except when the wind conditions cause all departures to use the 28s.

Hawaii and International though usually take off from the 28s, though I’ve seen a few instances where they will use 1R.
chemengin likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Any news on the meals in E+ and alcoholic drinks that were a perquisite with Premium Transcontinental Service
Old May 6, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Any news on the meals in E+ and alcoholic drinks that were a perquisite with Premium Transcontinental Service
Internally, there has been no news of meals being restored.

But there's hope - meals have improved on West Coast - Europe flights this month in Y and PP.
Old May 6, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Internally, there has been no news of meals being restored.

But there's hope - meals have improved on West Coast - Europe flights this month in Y and PP.
Fingers crossed, that’s a very difficult upgrade to achieve even with PP‘s. Therefore, the free drinks and a meal service was greatly appreciated (Kind bars too!)
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just flew EWR-LAX in E+. One drink service with Biscoff after takeoff, one drink service without any snacks before landing. I was able to get a free 1Kwich at least but it was still pretty paltry.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Just flew EWR-LAX in E+. One drink service with Biscoff after takeoff, one drink service without any snacks before landing. I was able to get a free 1Kwich at least but it was still pretty paltry.
No food available/offered during the first drink run?

David
Old May 10, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I’m a platinum, so for drink service was it complementary alcoholic beverages? Which was typically provided with as part of the premium Transcon service (which I stated earlier also included a meal and a kind bar)
Old May 10, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I’m a platinum, so for drink service was it complementary alcoholic beverages? Which was typically provided with as part of the premium Transcon service (which I stated earlier also included a meal and a kind bar)
Not in E+ - it's not back yet.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I’m a platinum, so for drink service was it complementary alcoholic beverages?
No, that would be a feature of Delta Platinum with the complimentary upgrade to Eco+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.