Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by godbreath
Is there any difference between economy and economy plus? The United website says
http://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/...-services.html

But aren’t non-alcoholic drinks and some small snacks already free in economy? I remember pre-COVID there was a brief period of time that alcoholic drinks and hot meals were free for economy plus.
IIRC hot meals and one alcoholic beverage were standard in E+ transcons pre-covid, period, not just for a brief time. I was thinking about that today as I flew EWR-SFO in E+ and was given a minuscule fruit bar plus non-alcoholic drinks. And yes, E- pax got the exact same selection. Bleah.
godbreath and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mehitabel
IIRC hot meals and one alcoholic beverage were standard in E+ transcons pre-covid, period, not just for a brief time. I was thinking about that today as I flew EWR-SFO in E+ and was given a minuscule fruit bar plus non-alcoholic drinks. And yes, E- pax got the exact same selection. Bleah.
it definitely wasn’t for a long time. Maybe a couple of years before COVID, and then it never came back. Delta has been doing it on their tcons for a while before UA offered it, although their meals may have been more ‘sandwich’ than hot meal, but I’m not sure.
mehitabel and godbreath like this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
Nope. Several recent reports of no comp for no lie flat.
I haven't seen any such reports for no compensation for no lie flats on EWR-SFO/LAX premium transcon flights. Do you have links to particular forum posts?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: MP Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nycityny
So what kind of compensation occurs when that happens? I normally fly Delta but booked a Premium Economy EWR-SFO seat on United which seems more comfortable than Comfort+ on a Delta 757 (Delta downgraded that route to all 757s while JFK-LAX is all 767s). Is it possible that if the aircraft is swapped I might end up in regular economy and not even Economy Plus?
This happened to us for an upcoming flight. We called and switched to another flight to stay in PE, so I don't know what the compensation would be. My guess it would be the difference in fare using the what you paid for PE minus the current Economy fare (not sure which fare class). Here is part of the email we got before switching. Plus 5000 miles. WooHoo!

If you travel in United Economy on this itinerary, you will be issued any applicable refund for the difference in fare. Refunds will be returned on the original form of payment, award miles, upgrade used, or the fare difference. Please allow two weeks from your travel date for award miles and upgrades to be re-credited, and up to two billing cycles for fare refunds to appear on the credit card statement. Additionally, as a goodwill gesture and for your understanding, we will add 5,000 award miles to the MileagePlus account that is accruing miles for this flight. This deposit will be made within 30 days after travel is completed.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Do we think they will ever bring back the P.S. planes that they used to fly or bring in more of the 87's? It is getting ridiculous the crappy transcon planes they are flying.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fryguy89
Do we think they will ever bring back the P.S. planes that they used to fly or bring in more of the 87's? It is getting ridiculous the crappy transcon planes they are flying.
87 as in 787?

United will guarantee lie-flat seats only...even that might be impacted once in a while. Beyond that, United will continue to deploy aircraft in its best interest and convenience, and passengers can take it or leave.

With upgrades difficult on these routes, I often target 752 if I am flying United, as the economy seats are better than similar widebody economy seats.
​​​​​​
The good thing is there are so many choices on these route. Personally, am flying AA three-class first later this week.
tstauck likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The p.s. 757 (with 7 rows of J seats) have been retired. The 737 MAX-10 and/or A321XLR are proposed replacements.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
which crappy transcon planes are you reffing to? PS used to be all 757 and today is a mixture of 757/777/787
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
which crappy transcon planes are you reffing to? PS used to be all 757 and today is a mixture of 757/777/787
Probably 777HD and 752.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Probably 777HD and 752.
That would be my list.

At least from SFO, hard product is one area where UA actually has a competitive advantage over AA and DL, since most of flights are 772 and 77W with Polaris seat. From LAX, the options are considerably worse. UA fares tend to be considerably higher than AA in/out of SFO, however, I assume due to the captive market. Plus UA probably sees less need to discount, since it will just sell most/all of the unsold seats as upgrades at check-in (recall the recent post by a 1K who was booked in PE and #1 on the list with 10 seats open, and did not get upgraded).
econ likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:11 pm

Probably 777HD and 752.
I know they're old but i still love the 757. The lie-flats are pretty comfortable and if traveling as a couple the step-over from the window not an issue
Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I know they're old but i still love the 757. The lie-flats are pretty comfortable and if traveling as a couple the step-over from the window not an issue
The footwells are too tight for me on the UA configuration, and I'm not tall. AA's are spaced much more generously. They are good seats for a couple (subject to the footwell issue).
nomad420 and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The footwells are too tight for me on the UA configuration, and I'm not tall. AA's are spaced much more generously. They are good seats for a couple (subject to the footwell issue).
totally get you on the footwells and even though they don't bother me, i still try for row 1 (especially 1EF). I actually prefer the comfort of the UA 752 seat to the AA Flagship biz seat, though the Flagship first seat is definitely better than the UA 752 biz seat.... and i have been able to sometimes get the AA first seat SFO-JFK more cheaply than the UA biz seat SFO-EWR
Kacee and nomad420 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.... and i have been able to sometimes get the AA first seat SFO-JFK more cheaply than the UA biz seat SFO-EWR
​​​​​​
Redeemed 42.5K on Flagship First about 2 weeks or so prior to departure (traveling this week). United usually asks for 80K; although if you can find IN space, 30K.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
​​​​​​
Redeemed 42.5K on Flagship First about 2 weeks or so prior to departure (traveling this week). United usually asks for 80K; although if you can find IN space, 30K.
That's a score in my book, the Flagship F is a better product than PS UA, JMHO.
Repooc17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.