Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Internally, there has been no news of meals being restored.

But there's hope - meals have improved on West Coast - Europe flights this month in Y and PP.
Why would they restore meals to E+?

Wouldn't UA want people to buy up tp PP? Besides, if meals return to E+, there is a chance that PP would again receive the E+ meal, instead of the J meal they currently receive
Old May 10, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Why would they restore meals to E+?

Wouldn't UA want people to buy up tp PP? Besides, if meals return to E+, there is a chance that PP would again receive the E+ meal, instead of the J meal they currently receive
I’d certainly like an E+ meal or at least make them available for purchase. I miss the Southwestern omelet very much!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I’d certainly like an E+ meal or at least make them available for purchase. I miss the Southwestern omelet very much!
The pessimist in me says we will not get comped E+ hot meals under the current leadership. Soft product is clearly not a priority,

I still have fond memories when UA first introduced E+ hot meals; in more ways than just the food
MatthewLAX and cczzll like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:47 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Repooc17
The pessimist in me says we will not get comped E+ hot meals under the current leadership. Soft product is clearly not a priority,

I still have fond memories when UA first introduced E+ hot meals; in more ways than just the food
Does anyone know what DL is currently offering on JFK-LAX/SFO? AA brought back cold snacks (sandwich/wrap, fruit and cheese plate or hummus plate) for all of Y a few months back. I know DL offered something similar before the pandemic, not sure if it’s been restored yet.

Certainly UA only offered complimentary food in E+ back then but it was hot, so I suppose they could argue they were both better and worse than the competition depending on coach section.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dw
Does anyone know what DL is currently offering on JFK-LAX/SFO?...
A better answer, based on very recent experiences, might be had at DL forum. You don't trust them?
SPN Lifer and tstauck like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 3:20 pm
dw

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A better answer, based on very recent experiences, might be had at DL forum. You don't trust them?
Post was intentionally placed here as a means to compare UA’s current Y offerings on these transcon routes against the competition (I just don’t have the full current picture of what that is)… to allow speculation on whether UA may upgrade what is currently being offered in light of what DL and AA are offering
Old May 10, 2022, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Post was intentionally placed here as a means to compare UA’s current Y offerings on these transcon routes against the competition (I just don’t have the full current picture of what that is)… to allow speculation on whether UA may upgrade what is currently being offered in light of what DL and AA are offering
UA: nothing
DL: nothing
AA: cold food (e.g. bagel/sandwich)

Edit: AA offers free food to the entire main cabin; not just MCE (UA's E+ name scheme)
dw and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Repooc17; May 10, 2022 at 4:40 pm
Old May 10, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
What is the service like on redeye SFO-EWR flights in Business? I will almost certainly want to just sleep, but out of curiosity, is there a drink/snack service after takeoff? If so is it just a basket or is there a plated snack? Thanks!
cczzll likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 7:04 pm
dw

Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA: nothing
DL: nothing
AA: cold food (e.g. bagel/sandwich)

Edit: AA offers free food to the entire main cabin; not just MCE (UA's E+ name scheme)
So it sounds like unless DL brings service back in Y (I recall there was a brief period where they also had enhanced offerings in Comfort+, above the complimentary fresh food snack in Y, but it wasn’t a hot meal), we’re unlikely to see UA restore anything in E+
Old May 10, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
What is the service like on redeye SFO-EWR flights in Business? I will almost certainly want to just sleep, but out of curiosity, is there a drink/snack service after takeoff? If so is it just a basket or is there a plated snack? Thanks!
It's a full meal. You can check the Let's Eat Thread for more details/examples. Here's one I posted on the dinner flight in reverse but it's the same on the redeye going out albeit with different but similar entree choices.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 7:32 pm

I miss that 8 pm EWR-SFO flight that UA stopped operating from this month
Old May 10, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by UAFAM
I miss that 8 pm EWR-SFO flight that UA stopped operating from this month
I’m still seeing an 8-8:30 pm departure on various dates this month and next. Maybe it’s not operating every day?
Old May 10, 2022, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by econ
I’m still seeing an 8-8:30 pm departure on various dates this month and next. Maybe it’s not operating every day?
You are correct, It seems like from May 13 it’s back on the schedule.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111
It's a full meal. You can check the Let's Eat Thread for more details/examples. Here's one I posted on the dinner flight in reverse but it's the same on the redeye going out albeit with different but similar entree choices.
Wow, even on the 11:50pm flight?
Old May 11, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Wow, even on the 11:50pm flight?
Yes.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.