Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally, UA does not do soft landings
-- GS exception -- May times fallen GS will receive 1K status (no upgrade certs) for the first year
-- Special circumstances -- Elite status "holds/leave of absence" (adoption, pregnancy, illness, deployment, ...)

"Soft landing" is where an individual who did not qualify for their previous elite status level is still given a higher level than they actually earned. Such as a previously UA GA is given 1K status even though they only earned Gold.
Print Wikipost

Does UA offer "soft status landings"?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by cghall74
Hi all,

I have been Gold/Plat/1K (Plat this last year) for close to a decade but barely traveled at all this year due to having a new baby and staying close to home. I might manage to keep Gold, but even that is touch and go.

Would United ever cut someone in my position slack and either offer an extension or perhaps some sort of short-term challenge to keep my higher status? I am back traveling now but took almost 6 months off flying so was far below my usual this year.

It isn't the biggest deal in the world, just likely that I would shift more business to Delta (I am Delta Plat as well) when there isn't much difference, rather than try to save my United status. I have enjoyed my time with United so would prefer to keep it up.

Let me know if you have ever had any experience with this type of request.

Thanks

Canuck FlyerDad (x3)
There are precedents in other airlines , QF has started to offer some kind of maternity/paternity break that protects status in recent times maybe another 50 years and a revolution before such a thing would happen here though
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
You should definitely write UA and explain your circumstances (1K email helps; I don't know what they have for Plats). I would ask nicely if they'd give you Platinum, since you will be returning to your previous flying patterns. I wouldn't hold your breath, but it's possible. They did something like that for me a few years ago when, after a decade as a 1K, I briefly didn't qualify. I asked if they'd give me a soft landing to platinum. (In fact, they gave me a soft landing to...1K! Albeit without any certs.) As I promised them, I have qualified for 1K every year since.

That said, based on what I recall from past Flyertalk threads, I wouldn't hold your breath. My guess is there isn't a consistent policy over time, and that it completely depends on the circumstances as assessed by whomever is looking at your file.
AirMiles2001 and findark like this.

Last edited by lancelot21; Oct 25, 2018 at 5:37 am Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
When I was in the Navy, I was a 1K. In 2010, I was deployed 11/12 months and flew maybe one flight that year on UA. Wrote into MileagePlus with the situation and they happily extended me 1K into 2011 when I re-qualified again for 2012
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I have been Gold/Plat/1K (Plat this last year) for close to a decade but barely traveled at all this year due to having a new baby and staying close to home. I might manage to keep Gold, but even that is touch and go....
I think UA should be very selective in who they extend status for. People w/ non-US addresses already get a huge start on qualification (no PQD hurdle) and if one can't even meet that...

If you have indeed cleared a US-addressed PQD level for several years (and maybe w/o the mileage), I think that UA should consider that. But if you're not making either the mileage/$ goals we do in the States, extending status seems a bit overly-generous....
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
There are precedents in other airlines , QF has started to offer some kind of maternity/paternity break that protects status in recent times maybe another 50 years and a revolution before such a thing would happen here though
UA’s competitor AS introduced such a benefit a year or two ago:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ts/elite-leave
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Hi all,

I have been Gold/Plat/1K (Plat this last year) for close to a decade but barely traveled at all this year due to having a new baby and staying close to home. I might manage to keep Gold, but even that is touch and go.

Would United ever cut someone in my position slack and either offer an extension or perhaps some sort of short-term challenge to keep my higher status? I am back traveling now but took almost 6 months off flying so was far below my usual this year.

It isn't the biggest deal in the world, just likely that I would shift more business to Delta (I am Delta Plat as well) when there isn't much difference, rather than try to save my United status. I have enjoyed my time with United so would prefer to keep it up.

Let me know if you have ever had any experience with this type of request.

Thanks

Canuck FlyerDad (x3)
They use to always offer me a "buy-up" if I was close to hitting 1K for example. I have even pulled the trigger on the offer a couple of times depending on the price. As I recall they came at the end of the year of course. Not sure they still do that as I haven't need to "buy-up" in years but I am sure someone here will know if the program is still available.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
They use to always offer me a "buy-up" if I was close to hitting 1K for example. I have even pulled the trigger on the offer a couple of times depending on the price. As I recall they came at the end of the year of course. Not sure they still do that as I haven't need to "buy-up" in years but I am sure someone here will know if the program is still available.
Those buy-ups occur in January, the most recent 2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017), there are not inexpensive and it is generally better to do the Premier Accelerator-- Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions if that can work (does not work if PQDs is the issue)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Those buy-ups occur in January, the most recent 2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017), there are not inexpensive and it is generally better to do the Premier Accelerator-- Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions if that can work (does not work if PQDs is the issue)
Thanks WCUA, sort of figured you would know. Interesting to note that you think the Premier Accelerator is a better deal. In the past I always avoided those and just pulled the trigger on the buy-up if the price wasn't horrible but I certainly have not data on this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Thanks WCUA, sort of figured you would know. Interesting to note that you think the Premier Accelerator is a better deal. In the past I always avoided those and just pulled the trigger on the buy-up if the price wasn't horrible but I certainly have not data on this.
January buyups for PQM can be in the 15-20+ cpm range and Premier Accelerator if done early enough is in the 10-12 cpm range. But all that is discussed in the above threads.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Very interesting. As a new parent, I can certainly appreciate this. It will be interesting to see if legacy carriers follow.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Both my spouse and I have had some exception made to our status since the merger.
-I was Platinum one year then only flew 55k but $10k PQDs. I asked for Plat the following year citing both a glitch in the app that show my status extended as well as having a baby and traveling less and they agreed.
-My wife was short ~500 PQDs the first year of the PQD requirement as a result of a flight (and therefore the entire short trip) being cancelled by UA. We called and she was told there would be "offers" at the end of the year but they ended up giving Gold to her anyways.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
If you're a domestic road warrior, are soft landings a big deal anymore? With domestic premium cabin/E+ priced so competitively and PreCheck, it doesn't seem too painful to get back to status after a hiatus.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Good for them , I think that is a smart move for return /retain, QF brought it in around q1 2016 as I recall a year prior , maybe they saw an opportunity in following or it was an internal thought, I don't fly or follow AS that much

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 21, 2019 at 9:39 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum/Life Gold
Thanks for all the replies and views of your own experiences.

Will see what happens, it isn't the biggest deal, was just wondering what others had seen and now I know!

thanks

Canuck FlyerDad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.