Does UA offer "soft status landings"?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 10, 20, 4:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Generally, UA does not do soft landings
-- GS exception -- May times fallen GS will receive 1K status (no upgrade certs) for the first year
-- Special circumstances -- Elite status "holds/leave of absence" (adoption, pregnancy, illness, deployment, ...)

"Soft landing" is where an individual who did not qualify for their previous elite status level is still given a higher level than they actually earned. Such as a previously UA GA is given 1K status even though they only earned Gold.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 16, 15, 6:17 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Programs: UA Gold AA DL
Posts: 18
Does UA offer "soft status landings"?

Question:

I will make 75K miles for Pre Platinum in Dec 2015.

This will give me Pre Platinum for 2016

IF I don't make 50K miles in 2016 for Pre Gold in 2017?

Will UA reduce me to Pre Gold or Pre Silver status for 2017?

cyrious as my options..

Peace
PIDD
PIDD is offline  
Old Oct 16, 15, 6:33 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,768
Originally Posted by PIDD View Post
IF I don't make 50K miles in 2016 for Pre Gold in 2017?

Will UA reduce me to Pre Gold or Pre Silver status for 2017?

cyrious as my options..
Officially there are no "soft landings" so you will likely get dropped to what you earn based on prior year's flying.
Kacee is offline  
Old Oct 17, 15, 10:38 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Posts: 1,224
Downgrade from UA Platinun Status

They will downgrade you to the status you make in the previous year. If you only made silver then you will stay silver. If you flew no miles then you go back to being a general member.
1KHI is offline  
Old Oct 17, 15, 10:47 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Redwood City, CA USA (SFO/SJC)
Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Posts: 8,533
Originally Posted by 1KHI View Post
They will downgrade you to the status you make in the previous year. If you only made silver then you will stay silver. If you flew no miles then you go back to being a general member.
He might be asking about his status in 2017 though. The actual question being, if you're at Plat level in 2016 but only qualify for, say, Silver for the next year (based on 2016 PQM/PQD), would they drop you all the way to silver or give you a soft landing to Gold?

If that's the question, no, there's not likely a soft landing. He's going to end up wherever his earnings land him. Exceptions are rare.
Mike Jacoubowsky is offline  
Old Oct 17, 15, 10:51 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Programs: UA Gold AA DL
Posts: 18
Thanks..

If I understand correctly... I am Gold in 2015 and fly over 75K PQM I will be Platinum in 2016..If I fly less than 50K PQMs in 2016 they will drop me to Gold in 2017 because I was Gold in 2015? or
If I fly less than 50K PQMs in 2016 as a Platinum they will drop me to Sliver in 2017?

thanks again..
PIDD
PIDD is offline  
Old Oct 17, 15, 10:54 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: High and dry in Johnstown, CO
Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 4,191
You'll get the status you earn. For instance, if you fly less than 50k PQMs in 2016, you will go to Silver for 2017, which is the status you earned by flying in 2016. There is no "soft landing" from Platinum, 1K, Gold, or whatever, to the next-lowest status level, unless the airline decides to give it to you.
Lori_Q is offline  
Old Oct 17, 15, 10:59 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PHL, EWR
Programs: UA silver; AA Gold;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Posts: 1,961
Originally Posted by PIDD View Post
Thanks..

If I understand correctly... I am Gold in 2015 and fly over 75K PQM I will be Platinum in 2016..If I fly less than 50K PQMs in 2016 they will drop me to Gold in 2017 because I was Gold in 2015? or
If I fly less than 50K PQMs in 2016 as a Platinum they will drop me to Sliver in 2017?

thanks again..
PIDD
Your status in 2017 will be based on the miles your flew in 2016. Any previous status levels have no bearing on future status levels. So if you fly less than 50K PGM in 2016, your status will be silver (or general member if you fly less than 25K).
Of course you can regain your status if you fly enough miles in 2017; once you hit the miles and spend requirements (if applicable) then your status changes right away.
rittenhousesq is offline  
Old Oct 17, 15, 1:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: IAH
Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Posts: 2,647
It doesn't apply to the OP, but UA has in the past soft landed GS members to 1K.
Air Houston is offline  
Old Oct 17, 15, 4:57 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SYD
Programs: UA 1K, SPG LT Gold
Posts: 36
And whilst the "no soft landings" policy is clear, historically exceptions have been made. Some by request, and others just happened. I have had friends who have been 1K and soft landed to Platinum, and at the same time my son was shy of Silver by a couple thousand miles and was given Silver. YMMV
Adrock1976 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 15, 7:26 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Redwood City, CA USA (SFO/SJC)
Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Posts: 8,533
Originally Posted by Adrock1976 View Post
And whilst the "no soft landings" policy is clear, historically exceptions have been made. Some by request, and others just happened. I have had friends who have been 1K and soft landed to Platinum, and at the same time my son was shy of Silver by a couple thousand miles and was given Silver. YMMV
So your son who was gifted a few thousand miles to Silver status... was that before or after UA gave the opportunity to buy said status for a princely sum? Just wondering if there's really a method to the madness, an attempt to optimize immediate revenue (through selling PQMs) first.
Mike Jacoubowsky is offline  
Old Oct 18, 15, 6:14 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SYD
Programs: UA 1K, SPG LT Gold
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
So your son who was gifted a few thousand miles to Silver status... was that before or after UA gave the opportunity to buy said status for a princely sum? Just wondering if there's really a method to the madness, an attempt to optimize immediate revenue (through selling PQMs) first.
Good question, and it WAS after. He ended the year with something like 23,813 PQMs and was given Silver for the following year, saying he was close, and they bumped him up.
Adrock1976 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 17, 3:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 366
Platinum to silver status change

Hi,

A colleague of mine had a platinum status with United. Last year he had flown with them way less (used other alliances). I told him that from what I know (happened to me a few years ago), if you don't meet the platinum level criteria, you being downgraded one level each year.

For our surprise, his status was updated to silver (skipping gold).
It that a known thing in United nowadays? Or is it a mistake?

Thanks,
Joe
jjoe123 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 17, 3:30 pm
  #13  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 52,027
Originally Posted by jjoe123 View Post
... A colleague of mine had a platinum status with United. Last year he had flown with them way less (used other alliances). I told him that from what I know (happened to me a few years ago), if you don't meet the platinum level criteria, you being downgraded one level each year.

For our surprise, his status was updated to silver (skipping gold).
It that a known thing in United nowadays? Or is it a mistake? ...
Soft landings, for most, disappeared a very long time ago (decades) from most of the programs -- some ex-GS seem to soft landings, but that is pretty much it.

Sometimes calling and providing an "appropriate" (such as health, family issues), if you can weave a good story, you might get an "one time exemption" to get Gold. Especially if you are willing to say your travel will return this year and your have had a multiple year history of the old status level.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Feb 7, 17, 3:36 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: Continental OnePass
Posts: 750
I have never heard of the "only dropping down 1 level" thing. I have always followed the "you get what you earn" idea. So if you are 1K and then don't fly UA at all for a year, you will have no status the following year.
swiftaw is offline  
Old Feb 7, 17, 3:44 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 366
I see. I had a while back (~10 years ago) both in Delta and in United similar scenarios, and in both cases I got soft landings.

But then we didn't have to pay for the first luggage either :-)
jjoe123 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: