Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2017 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant 2017 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

With regards to Premier qualification, it looks like I will end the year with 29.5 segments.

Any chance UA will grant me Silver status anyway, because I'm a nice guy and tried really really hard?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yowspotter
.... Any chance UA will grant me Silver status anyway, because I'm a nice guy and tried really really hard?
This becomes one of those "are you willing to take the risk" situations. As the links in the wiki will show, it could happen and then again it has not happen for others. Who know the mood of UA at the time to make the decision. Can you accept it if it does not happen? Do you feel lucky?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2016 at 7:03 pm Reason: removed video link
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

And yes, I'd accept it. In the end I wouldn't have met the cutoff so there wouldn't much to "complain" about.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The deal is this: If you meet 30 PQS/25,000 PQM, fly at least 4 UA segments and $3,000 PQD (assuming US-based), then UA will definitely give you silver.

Miss any of these cutoffs, by, say, 30 PQS or 0.5 PQS, than you haven't hit the published target, and if you are relying on them gifting you the status, well, don't. At 29.5 segments, they may give it to you, or it may depend on other factors. For example, if you are at 29.5 segments with 2500 PQD, I'd say forget about it. If you are at 29.5 PQS and $5000 PQD, I'd say there's a much better shot.

Either way, if its what you want, it may be worth it to just do what you need to to get the extra segment. Silver in many cases isn't worth stretching for, but if you are that close, it may be the one time. You can upgrade your fare class to a 1.5 PQS earning fare on one of your upcoming flights, or SDC with an extra connection. If you don't really care that much about it, just leave it where it is, and come back and report, of course, on what happened, as I'm sure folks on here would be interested to know.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... And yes, I'd accept it. In the end I wouldn't have met the cutoff so there wouldn't much to "complain" about.
There was not quite what I meant. Will you regret not getting the extra 0.5 PQS?
Perhaps by upfaring to a fare the earns an extra 0.5 PQS or SDCing a trip to add an extra leg?
Other ideas in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-2017-a.html.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hardly. That other thread is about adding PQMs and PQDs, nothing there about PQSs.

OP, where are you based? If you tell us, perhaps we can find you a quick short segment. That is to go beyond the good ideas of upfaring or SDCing that have been proposed here.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm at 81k miles, 45.5 segments, and $13,249 PQD right now. Based on anticipated travel, I'll be at 96k year end- probably a little shy of $20k PQD.

Assume I need to get to 100k for 1k, no? EWR based.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by gold23
I'm at 81k miles, 45.5 segments, and $13,249 PQD right now. Based on anticipated travel, I'll be at 96k year end- probably a little shy of $20k PQD.

Assume I need to get to 100k for 1k, no? EWR based.
Yes, you'd better, if you value the 1K benefits.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the discussion.

To answer a bunch of questions or things that have come up:

- I'm based in Canada (YOW)
- Getting to Silver ultimately isn't so important to me. It would just be unfortunate to miss by 0.5 seg.
- PQD suffers due to exchange rate, so unlikely to get credited the difference because of high spend, not to mention being Canadian means PQD exemption.
- A mileage (or segment) run to make up the difference may be tough because cheap flights within Canada are rarely cheap at all, not to mention that lowest fare buckets on AC for flights within Canada don't accrue PQS. A UA flight transborder would be even costlier, so ultimately i must decide if the "perks" are worth the chase.
- All remaining trips are for work where lowest fare matters. Booking a higher fare class to get 1.5 seg would be tough to justify, but might be possible.
- Best option would be to book one of the remaining trips (or SDC a booked one) with an unnecessary extra stop, something I avoid doing but might be worth it just to get over the hump.
- I may also leave things be and try calling in when at 29.5 to see if they'll do something. Either way, I'll report back with the final outcome.

Last edited by yowspotter; Sep 14, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
- I'm based in Canada (YOW)
You do not have to worry about PQD requirements for elite status.

If you travel on UA later this year, you may have an opportunity to buy-up (TOD) into a P class fare. That would give you the extra 0.5 segment.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede

If you travel on UA later this year, you may have an opportunity to buy-up (TOD) into a P class fare. That would give you the extra 0.5 segment.
Thanks. If the price is right I may try that.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
True, but OP doesn't technically have the segments to make status anyway. My point above with PQD is if OP has more PQD, whether or not it's technically a threshold, it may influence whether a CSR will be willing to help. If the OP gives UA a ton of revenue, they may be willing to bump, while if they are flying all G fares, probably not as much
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Thanks. If the price is right I may try that.
If you can't find a buyup that will give you the extra 0.5 PQS, you may be eligible to buy an extra 1 PQS through this promo UA has until Sept 19.

Your price may vary, but it offers me 1PQS & 1000PQMs for $190 US
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA-Gold, HH-Diamond
Another Angle

You can also volunteer to be bumped if a flight you are on is oversold. Often times they will book your new flight as a full "Y" class fare (1.5 PQS).

In fact, any irregular ops is an opportunity for you. For example, ask to be rebooked on a connecting flight instead of direct if you encounter a cancellation.

Hope this helps.

-Goat
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverGoat
You can also volunteer to be bumped if a flight you are on is oversold. Often times they will book your new flight as a full "Y" class fare (1.5 PQS).

In fact, any irregular ops is an opportunity for you. For example, ask to be rebooked on a connecting flight instead of direct if you encounter a cancellation.

Hope this helps.

-Goat
Many reports that this is the exception rather than the rule now. And relying on it would be a fools errand. And there have been reports that even if it does show as a full Y to get you on a flight it still posts as your original fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.