Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mom told she could pump milk in pet relief area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Yet more negative press for United. Maybe we should make a consolidated thread for these articles? Mods?

http://www.wcvb.com/news/mom-led-to-...-milk/35677844
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Various
I feel bad for her, and that was a really terrible suggestion by UA, but this seems to be more of an airport issue than a United issue.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:05 am

Maybe she should fly AA next time. Oh, wait: http://gma.yahoo.com/mom-says-flight-attendant-shamed-her-using-breast-175711186--abc-news-parenting.html
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Based on the way the article is written, it sounds like she's so upset that UA didn't give her free lounge access that she wen't to the press. This is not UA's fault in the slightest - indeed, they went above and beyond their responsibility ("Please ask an airport official").
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Wow. Now the airline has to provide private rooms for women who need to pump milk? Seriously? She could have paid $50 for Club access, or tried to use a rest room stall near a power outlet. Better yet, do what my wife did for many years: plan ahead......pump before you leave for the airport and keep it chilled.

She claims this is a teachable moment. The teaching part is how media will pick up on crazy stories to make an airline look bad. Stay strong UA!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Do you really want to pump in a restroom with so much airborne fecal and other bacterial matter?

The bigger issue is that why is it such a big deal in the land of the free for a woman to express milk in an an attempted discreet manner in a public area? If an offended person sees this, that is the teachable moment.

Unless and until we get over this nonsense, it is not unreasonable for someplace such as an airport to provide a private room for this purpose. And to the extent that an airport or other public facility finds it acceptable for a woman to express milk in a public area (i.e., no arrest, shaming, asking to move), she needs to get over finding a private room.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:26 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by mechteach
I feel bad for her, and that was a really terrible suggestion by UA, but this seems to be more of an airport issue than a United issue.
+1.

Honestly, the only mistake here was by the representative who suggested the pet room. I appreciate the thought, but it was a bad idea -- much like somebody who tries to apply CPR to an accident victim and ends up killing them through ignorance.

The correct response was "I'm so sorry, but there are no private facilities available at this airport. And I'm sorry, but our lounges are only available to customers who have paid (by purchasing a membership or day pass, or by ticket-purchasing patterns that entitle them to access); you are welcome to buy a day pass for $50, but the lounges don't provide dedicated private facilities for your needs either. You're also welcome to pump on the airplane or in the gate area, but we can't guarantee privacy."

I am totally in favor of making pumping a natural, comfortable, and destigmatized activity -- and I would happily hector the airport about providing facilities. But it's not United's problem -- any more than (e.g.) the absence of a handicapped restroom at a given airport is United's fault.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

The bigger issue is that why is it such a big deal in the land of the free for a woman to express milk in an an attempted discreet manner in a public area? If an offended person sees this, that is the teachable moment.

Unless and until we get over this nonsense, it is not unreasonable for someplace such as an airport to provide a private room for this purpose. And to the extent that an airport or other public facility finds it acceptable for a woman to express milk in a public area (i.e., no arrest, shaming, asking to move), she needs to get over finding a private room.
As a husband who's wife nursed 3 of our children I can appreciate the idea of an airport having a private nursing room. That said from an airport standpoint it would be a place where they'd need to staff it to make sure it is safe. I can imagine there are some who would seek it out to leer. Of course this goes to your 2nd point that women nursing in public shouldn't be a big deal either.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Would she have no problem changing the baby's diaper in a public space?

Only sympathy lies in that she (seemed to be) traveling alone with a 4 month year old. If it was that much of an issue there are plenty of gates and seats and spaces where Dad could have discretely held up a blankie.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
As a husband who's wife nursed 3 of our children I can appreciate the idea of an airport having a private nursing room. That said from an airport standpoint it would be a place where they'd need to staff it to make sure it is safe. I can imagine there are some who would seek it out to leer. Of course this goes to your 2nd point that women nursing in public shouldn't be a big deal either.
It's a two way street. Women should be able to breastfeed or pump milk in any public place as long as they can do so safely (not while they are driving a car, etc).

And if women care about being seen by others who might be "leering" then they should take appropriate precautions to cover up with a blanket or some such.

Then again, I also think the U.S. is way too prudish when it comes to nudity in general and have a really hard time understanding why people are offended by the sight of a human body.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:46 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE AND TOPIC CHECK

This is a discussion about what United did, didn't do and/or could have done but not a discussion about breast pumping and/or the pro's, con's and opinions of that subject

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I wonder if it was actually a UA employee who lead her to the PRA or just a random IAD "assistance"(what's the IAD equivalent to the EWR red coats?) employee. I would be hard pressed to find an actual UA employee (GA or UC dragon) who is going to take the time to lead someone through the airport to the PRA area.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:38 pm

Ironic?

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I wonder if it was actually a UA employee ....
Would be sad if this was a childless (and clueless*) UA employee trying to go the extra mile. It would be even worse if UA took this to mean dealing with tricky passenger questions is too hazardous to public relations.

* it is possible the pet area was perceived as unused ...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
It's bad for her ... but, what does she want?

She is not a member of UC, and it sounds like she did not want to pay for a day pass. Even if she had ... where would she have gone? The bathroom? Or did she expect to be given free entrance to the UC and free use of a conference room?

Just because Logan has breastfeeding rooms does not imply other airports do.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Now Joe Q Public wants to be a DYKWIA.

"... it was her first time flying without her 4-month-old." Without?

"... she was also denied access to the United Club Area because she is not a member." Obvious to everyone but her.

"Logan Airport has facilities for nursing mothers in every terminal ..." Solution - next time route via BOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.