Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mom told she could pump milk in pet relief area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mom told she could pump milk in pet relief area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
There is quite a bit more information about this incident in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ulles-airport/

In my opinion there's really nothing else the UA employee could've done.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:07 pm

Been told by a friend that the SFO T3E yoga room is where some women breastfeed. As good as spot as any if you ask me!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:39 pm

Wouldn't the chapel / meditation room at Dulles be a good place for this? It's only used regularly for Muslim prayers (and even then for short time periods), far less often for other services.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:11 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Curious, as I thought that this article/thread was going to be from the other side... that the woman was told that she couldn't pump (or theoretically, breastfeed) in public and was being told she had to do it in the restroom or pet-relief room.

Women are legally allowed to pump or breastfeed in any area which they themselves are legally allowed to be, so privacy above and beyond that (outside of one's place of employment) is completely on the mother. Any complaint that she has should be directed to IAD and not United... They are just tenants. And even such, providing a "private" space is a courtesy, not a requirement.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:43 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Do you really want to pump in a restroom with so much airborne fecal and other bacterial matter?
I'm not sure the United Club restroom would necessarily be that much cleaner then the public airport one - assuming that was the women's rationale for wanting to go into the club.

The bigger issue is that why is it such a big deal in the land of the free for a woman to express milk in an an attempted discreet manner in a public area? If an offended person sees this, that is the teachable moment.
You forgot "and home of the brave!'

I think it comes down to the discretion. I am not offended by the sight of a woman breastfeeding or pumping - but have seen very different attitudes from some who are discreet and some who (IMO) almost try to make it more of a spectacle then it should be.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:10 am

Can't really see how a lounge is any better... Some airports have nursing rooms which is nice.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
What a precious woman!

If the milk wasn't going to be consumed by her baby what was the issue with using the restrooms? Also - why travel with an electric pump? A manual one would make more sense - no need to find an outlet before use.

And as for the desperate need to pump before flying (was it really so necessary??) if you are breastfeeding - most mums would be travelling equipped with those absorbent pads which can deal with leaks and can be discreetly changed.

And before I get flamed - I have been that mother with exploding breasts...... I retired to the nappy change room to clean myself up and make temporary pads. It was my problem and I dealt with it without making a scene!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:27 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
There is quite a bit more information about this incident in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ulles-airport/

In my opinion there's really nothing else the UA employee could've done.
+1; nice find on the article

According to the article, UA does seem to have done about all they can. First, the original employee[s] responded to "Where can I pump privately?" by saying "Well, there's the family restroom or the pet relief area. Those are the only private spaces." Which is reasonable (although in hindsight they probably should have said "Nowhere" instead).

And then UA followed up by offering to find her a private space on her next connection through Dulles, which I think is (a) more than required, but (b) a very smart PR gesture.

Seems to me like Twitter-shaming UA on this one was uncalled-for.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I agree with those who say it was IAD who dropped the ball here. Blaming the tenant doesn't make any sense, but it will get national coverage as opposed to local, and Ms. Meagher-Cooper, being a media professional, should know that.

But the thing that doesn't make sense to me is why she thinks the UC would be any better. I have seen more dogs in the UCs than I have ever seen in the pet relief areas.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Do you really want to pump in a restroom with so much airborne fecal and other bacterial matter?

The bigger issue is that why is it such a big deal in the land of the free for a woman to express milk in an an attempted discreet manner in a public area? If an offended person sees this, that is the teachable moment.

Unless and until we get over this nonsense, it is not unreasonable for someplace such as an airport to provide a private room for this purpose. And to the extent that an airport or other public facility finds it acceptable for a woman to express milk in a public area (i.e., no arrest, shaming, asking to move), she needs to get over finding a private room.
+1 this is the teachable moment to focus on. Heck use the power outlet on the plane, oh wait, UA doesn't have many of them.

But, this is an issue for an uptight society to deal with, not an issue for corporate America to deal with.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by transportbiz
+1 this is the teachable moment to focus on. Heck use the power outlet on the plane, oh wait, UA doesn't have many of them.

But, this is an issue for an uptight society to deal with, not an issue for corporate America to deal with.
It started by the woman asking for a "private" area. I think this is a case of an uptight woman as much as an uptight society.

UA did more than could reasonably be expected here. The fault lies with plenty of others before you get to UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.