Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Indelaware
You have forgotten other reasons for diversion:

Diversion for security reasons (e.g. kick the drunk or the suspected terrorist off the flight)
Diversion for medical emergency (though YYT, not that far away has more medical facilities)
WX at destination (though not likely for diversion to YYR)

Planned diversion in order to drop off needed MX crew/parts or relief flight/cabin crews (not that I've seen UA do this)
Planned diversion in order to pickup stranded passengers (e.g. EWR-LHR operated as EWR-YYR-LHR; though again, I've not seen UA do this type of diversion)
Right; I was thinking about diversions that United has to take ownership of.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...nce-issue.html

The article also makes two interesting points:

1. United Continental refuses to disclose any information about the root cause or nature of the issue that required the landing, and

2. "But the need to get down quickly may have been a factor in United's decision to land in Goose Bay. The more well-known Gander, Newfoundland, and its international airport, a major refueling stop in the early days of trans-Atlantic travel, are less than 400 miles from where Flight 958 landed in Goose Bay."
I love a good conspiracy theory, but this is ridiculous. We know the cause, it's been on AvHerald -- an abnormal indication for the right hand elevator which could be felt in the rudder. I don't think any airline puts out press releases detailing every mechanical.

And Gander isn't much bigger than Goose. They were both major refueling points -- there's a very famous El Al ad from when it got the ability to fly non stop -- "No Goose, no Gander." I've actually been to both, willing to bet the reporter hasn't.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by houserulz77
The response of the Canadians after 9/11 has been referenced a few times ITT. If you have some time, I strongly recommend watching this clip. It aired during the 2010 Olympics. It's quite long, but for anyone interested in commercial aviation (or who just appreciates human decency in the face of tragedy), it's absolutely remarkable (despite the poor quality).
I remember seeing that years ago; thanks for posting.

And let us not forget how the Canadian Embassy rescued Americans during the 1979 hostage crisis in Iran. Canada is one hell of an ally.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:37 pm

This latest UA incident was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. None of our employees were on any of the affected flights, BUT, I don't want to risk it.

I'm in charge of all of our company travel. This also means our employees call ME instead of the airlines for IRROPS and expect ME to fix it for them. I don't have time to do UA's job for them. Literally, the company I work for WILL NOT BE USING UA from this point forward until they get their crap together. All 8 flights I booked today were on DL or AA. Eight flights UA would have received in the past. No more.

I hope the UAL shareholders are listening. BTW, how's that working out for you guys? I'm very happy with my JBLU stock.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat
funny part of all this...
because united refunded that leg, we got 0 PQM. the 5,930 PQMs that should have posted from this flight would have put me at 1k this year
also, cost me 13,424 award miles. just laughable they refunded only that leg, didn't award miles for that leg, then offered a crap 25k "apology" for all that inconvenience.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by nautical
because united refunded that leg, we got 0 PQM. the 5,930 PQMs that should have posted from this flight would have put me at 1k this year
also, cost me 13,424 award miles. just laughable they refunded only that leg, didn't award miles for that leg, then offered a crap 25k "apology" for all that inconvenience.
Classic example of adding insult to injury.

I bet if you call in and make an issue of it, they will give you the PQM. They really should. PQD, I understand. But PQM, well, you really did fly!! And a LOT more distance than 5930 miles!!!!! Also what about lifetime miles for MM? Did they give you that?

United is often incompetent and mismanaged, but I have found the agents (when empowered) are humans like all of us and will understand and do what they can for you. Give it a try.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by Aventine
There's an enormous symbolic value to sticking around. The optics of leaving and staying in a hotel looks like the PR disaster that has unfolded.
2) That the entire crew separated themselves from all but two pax is inexcusable.
Wow, what a story. It will be hard to not think of this the next time I board a flight on UA. While nothing this dramatic, I have been bit by UA MX issues and communication in these matters has always been less than desirable.

I think there's one comment on the "crew stayed at hotel" issue that hasn't yet been made. Hindsight being 20/20, it looks pretty bad now for UA that the crew stayed in better accommodations than the passengers, but it matters at the time what was being planned. If the plan, or one of the possible plans, was to repair that plane and fly it from Canada to LHR, if the crew had not rested legally, they would not have been able to continue the journey. Can you imagine the outcry if UA had failed to plan for this, the plane had been repaired (or checked out ok) and there was no crew available to fly the plane?

I'm not arguing that UA handled this situation well, only pointing out that what's known and not known at the time affects decisions being made. Would be nice for someone at UA to provide some explanation of the events - and an apology - but as time passes....
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
The clumsiness and indifference of United's response to this event is startling. Seems to have infected every facet of it.

Somewhat OT, but it would be interesting to know if this elevator issue is covered by the Airworthiness Directive the FAA issued on May 7 2013 to all operators of 767 ac.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
2) That the entire crew separated themselves from all but two pax is inexcusable
Originally Posted by Aventine
There's an enormous symbolic value to sticking around. The optics of leaving and staying in a hotel looks like the PR disaster that has unfolded.
Crew have a legal rest requirement and contractual agreement with the company regarding accomodations. Pax don't.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:27 pm

You would think UA could have had their Star Alliance partner AC help them out.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I mentioned to a colleague when we were discussing the incident and offer that UA would pull this. Sorry, but not surprised, my suspicion was confirmed.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I mentioned to a colleague when we were discussing the incident and offer that UA would pull this. Sorry, but not surprised, my suspicion was confirmed.
Not surprised either but fwiw, I would contact United and ask that "in the interest of customer service", they credit you either with just the PQM's to reach 1k (or perhaps just grant you 1k given the circumstances)
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
Crew have a legal rest requirement and contractual agreement with the company regarding accomodations. Pax don't.
There's a reason rules are written on paper and not carved in stone.

And the rest rule was moot, as they were not required to fly back to EWR.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by NewportGuy

And the rest rule was moot, as they were not required to fly back to EWR.
- The PAX should have been flown to LHR (or any airport in London), not back to the USA.

- The PAX should have been given food by UA - not the Canadian Military.

- The PAX should have been given updates on what is going on (every hour) by UA. Either by the crew (who stayed at a hotel), or by Air Canada Rouge (owned by AC) who serve that airport and are part of Star Alliance. Even through Rouge is not directly part of the Star Alliance they are owned by AC.

- This entire event was a huge FAIL on UA.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
This latest UA incident was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. None of our employees were on any of the affected flights, BUT, I don't want to risk it.
Now that's just silly, IMO. I can't think of one carrier - US or European - that hasn't had MX diversions to YYR and hasn't been forced to accommodate passenger on base.

Originally Posted by kettle1
- The PAX should have been given food by UA - not the Canadian Military.
Gee. How? Fly in food and heat it up on board an airplane? I doubt that Canadian Forces/les Forces canadiennes would have allowed them to use their kitchen.

As it is, UA certainly did provide the food in that Canadian Forces/les Forces canadiennes are surely to bill UA for it.

Originally Posted by NewportGuy
So UA should have potentially ignored federal regulations -- be they DOT or DOL regulations -- by discounting both safety rules and its contracted word to labor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.