Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

UA 958 (ORD-LHR 6/12) returned to gate in ORD for maintenance, then diverted to Goose Bay Canada also for maintenance, with no ETA to LHR.

Not sure I'd want to get back on that plane.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
UA 958 (ORD-LHR 6/12) returned to gate in ORD for maintenance, then diverted to Goose Bay Canada also for maintenance, with no ETA to LHR.

And....it's canceled. I'm sure it was great good times looking for a bed in Goose Bay at 2 AM...
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JDT1955
And....it's canceled. I'm sure it was great good times looking for a bed in Goose Bay at 2 AM...
What are the odds pax even got out of the airport? Doubt they had immigration there at 2 a.m.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
They need to either get the 767-300 away from EWR or have a spare or two based there.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:49 pm

Any FT'ers on this flight? I'd be fascinated to hear what the experience was like in Goose Bay!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyallegheny
Any FT'ers on this flight? I'd be fascinated to hear what the experience was like in Goose Bay!
The "Daily Hate" aka Daily Mail is your friend with this somewhat hyberbolic "exclusive"
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
The "Daily Hate" aka Daily Mail is your friend with this somewhat hyberbolic "exclusive"
I've heard it referred to as "The Daily Fail".
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
I've heard it referred to as "The Daily Fail".
You've got to love the photo of the ten foot deep snow drifts, despite it now being June.

Still, sounds like a pretty miserable experience.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Were the "barracks" on the airport property so they didn't have to clear immigration? Assuming somehow the FAs/crew did to get to the hotel...were pax not allowed to leave and make their own accom if they wanted?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Were the "barracks" on the airport property so they didn't have to clear immigration?
That would be my guess.

Canada immigration is really strict.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1M, AA EXP
6/12 958 Saga

I really feel for the folks on that flight - a complete customer service debacle by United (yet again). I lived through a 2-day nightmare a few years ago when an LHR to LAX flight got diverted to Shannon, Ireland and we didn't get out for two days. At least we had hotels.

UA 958 on the 12th:
1) Left Chicago late due to MX.
2) Diversion to Goose Bay due to MX.
3) Passengers slept in barracks while the crew went to a hotel.
4) Replacement aircraft from EWR (2176) delayed almost five hours due to MX.
5) UA shuttling folks back to EWR from Goose Bay, not onto LHR (why not, I don't know).

Complete disaster. This is the reason I don't fly UA for international trips anymore. AA has been MUCH more reliable.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
It does sound absolutely horrible to be stuck in an army barracks and not allowed to even leave on your own to go to the town (assuming that was the case).
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:11 pm

Hundreds of fuming [UA] passengers 'abandoned' in remote Canada barracks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mfy-hotel.html

- Hundreds of people were traveling from Chicago to London on Flight 958

- Plane made emergency landing Friday night due to a 'maintenance' issue

- Passengers spent night at Goose Bay barracks in remote part of Canada

- Given 'only two blankets to sleep under and no heat in cold weather'

- ... 'not given any food from midday to around 7pm'

- Passengers say they had [no] contact at all from United Airlines for 20 hours
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
It's 36 degrees F there tonight...I could see how 2 blankets (esp. if UA-thin, ha) wouldn't be sufficient, esp. if heating wasn't great in the barracks.

Another classic UA fail.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:18 pm

Although if the problem really was an inoperable rudder, I'd be pretty happy to be back on the ground.

UA fleet stretched so thin right now, probably no spare widebodies to send to pick them up.

Hell of a way to run an airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.