Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1353513636
A friend was flying XXX-ORD-LHR on this flight connecting from an RJ in ORD to UA to London. They checked their refund and it was ~$50. UA said ticket price was broken down by segment and almost 90% of the ticket price (for the outbound) was on the RJ segment. Also, of course, the return segment was worth more than the outbound. ...
There maybe a grain of truth in this, some TATL base fares are as low as $50 have been reported BUT the YQ needs to be consider in addition to the base fare. Potential sounds like an inexperienced agent.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Cases like this cause people not to believe any fare breakdown into segments that UA might claim. Hence, UA should at least refund the entire fare component (which people can verify on most ticket receipts) plus associated taxes and fees.

I wonder whether there was a fuel surcharge on the ticket that got the $50 refund.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There maybe a grain of truth in this, some TATL base fares are as low as $50 have been reported BUT the YQ needs to be consider in addition to the base fare. Potential sounds like an inexperienced agent.
Seems like it would be rare if under $100 base. Some coincidence if this was one of those flights, but possible. But your point is right on, UA should refund everything the pax paid for that segment, otherwise it's just a partial refund.

I would be unhappy if I purchased a broken TV from Best Buy for $1000 and only got $890 back when I returned it because they kept taxes (or surcharge in this case). That's similar, although UA doesn't technically have to offer a refund to those pax who eventually made it to LHR.

Even worse, if it's a $50 base, it's like the passenger paid $300 and only got $50 back for the broken flight.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This particular episode in the continuing saga of UNITED IRROP misadventures has taken on greater meaning with me as each little piece of the story falls in place. Tons of insights into current UA management/operational policies. Few, if any, in favor of the passenger. I understand they were under no obligation to refund anything (apart from those passengers who were informed enough and flexible enough to declare the trip in vain as they left Goose Bay) since they arrived at Heathrow two days later, but if I read this report correctly not only are they not refunding the entire outbound portion, but they are keeping the fraction assigned to taxes and govt fees?

Perhaps it all makes sense; a large multinational dominated by an accounting approach would only understand goodwill as defined in FASB 142.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.