FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1687751-ua958-jun-12-15-mx-ord-diverts-yyr-2nd-mx-pax-housed-military-barracks.html)

NewportGuy Jun 12, 2015 9:52 pm

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

UA 958 (ORD-LHR 6/12) returned to gate in ORD for maintenance, then diverted to Goose Bay Canada also for maintenance, with no ETA to LHR.

Not sure I'd want to get back on that plane. :eek:

JDT1955 Jun 13, 2015 6:40 am

Originally Posted by NewportGuy (Post 24962953)
UA 958 (ORD-LHR 6/12) returned to gate in ORD for maintenance, then diverted to Goose Bay Canada also for maintenance, with no ETA to LHR.

And....it's canceled. I'm sure it was great good times looking for a bed in Goose Bay at 2 AM...

Kacee Jun 13, 2015 10:16 am

Originally Posted by JDT1955 (Post 24963949)
And....it's canceled. I'm sure it was great good times looking for a bed in Goose Bay at 2 AM...

What are the odds pax even got out of the airport? Doubt they had immigration there at 2 a.m.

LASUA1K Jun 13, 2015 3:34 pm

They need to either get the 767-300 away from EWR or have a spare or two based there.

flyallegheny Jun 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Any FT'ers on this flight? I'd be fascinated to hear what the experience was like in Goose Bay!

UAPremExecflyer Jun 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyallegheny (Post 24965985)
Any FT'ers on this flight? I'd be fascinated to hear what the experience was like in Goose Bay!

The "Daily Hate" aka Daily Mail is your friend with this somewhat hyberbolic "exclusive"

physioprof Jun 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 24966086)
The "Daily Hate" aka Daily Mail is your friend with this somewhat hyberbolic "exclusive"

I've heard it referred to as "The Daily Fail".

Kacee Jun 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 24966162)
I've heard it referred to as "The Daily Fail".

You've got to love the photo of the ten foot deep snow drifts, despite it now being June.

Still, sounds like a pretty miserable experience.

JVPhoto Jun 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Were the "barracks" on the airport property so they didn't have to clear immigration? Assuming somehow the FAs/crew did to get to the hotel...were pax not allowed to leave and make their own accom if they wanted?

Kacee Jun 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 24966179)
Were the "barracks" on the airport property so they didn't have to clear immigration?

That would be my guess.

Canada immigration is really strict.

kranabargar Jun 13, 2015 6:06 pm

6/12 958 Saga

I really feel for the folks on that flight - a complete customer service debacle by United (yet again). I lived through a 2-day nightmare a few years ago when an LHR to LAX flight got diverted to Shannon, Ireland and we didn't get out for two days. At least we had hotels.

UA 958 on the 12th:
1) Left Chicago late due to MX.
2) Diversion to Goose Bay due to MX.
3) Passengers slept in barracks while the crew went to a hotel.
4) Replacement aircraft from EWR (2176) delayed almost five hours due to MX.
5) UA shuttling folks back to EWR from Goose Bay, not onto LHR (why not, I don't know).

Complete disaster. This is the reason I don't fly UA for international trips anymore. AA has been MUCH more reliable.

physioprof Jun 13, 2015 6:07 pm

It does sound absolutely horrible to be stuck in an army barracks and not allowed to even leave on your own to go to the town (assuming that was the case).

FlyWorld Jun 13, 2015 6:11 pm

Hundreds of fuming [UA] passengers 'abandoned' in remote Canada barracks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mfy-hotel.html

- Hundreds of people were traveling from Chicago to London on Flight 958

- Plane made emergency landing Friday night due to a 'maintenance' issue

- Passengers spent night at Goose Bay barracks in remote part of Canada

- Given 'only two blankets to sleep under and no heat in cold weather'

- ... 'not given any food from midday to around 7pm'

- Passengers say they had [no] contact at all from United Airlines for 20 hours

UA-NYC Jun 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 24966086)

It's 36 degrees F there tonight...I could see how 2 blankets (esp. if UA-thin, ha) wouldn't be sufficient, esp. if heating wasn't great in the barracks.

Another classic UA fail.

Kacee Jun 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Although if the problem really was an inoperable rudder, I'd be pretty happy to be back on the ground.

UA fleet stretched so thin right now, probably no spare widebodies to send to pick them up.

Hell of a way to run an airline.