Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Rus925
Why does this lounge have its own thread?
Unlike most non–United Club Star Alliance (*A) lounges in the United States, the Lufthansa lounge at IAD is physically accessible to domestic UA passengers. This means:
  1. United *G members may access the lounge on domestic itineraries, even though they wouldn't be allowed free access to the United Clubs on such itineraries.
  2. Passengers who otherwise have United Club access, whether due to a paid membership, premium cabin ticket, or a foreign *G card, have a nicer option in IAD.
What is the Lufthansa Lounge at IAD like?
There are two floors to the lounge: the concourse level, where you enter and check in, which also has the Senator lounge with ample windows; and the lower level, which has the Business lounge and showers. (The showers are very nice; on par with Senator lounge showers in Lufthansa's Frankfurt hub.)

The Senator lounge offers a complimentary buffet throughout the day. In the morning, there's a continental breakfast; at 1:30 p.m., they put out a hot buffet. Bottled beer and wine (including champagne) are available all day, with draught beer and spirits additionally available after 1 p.m.

[Need description of FTL offering. Include photos?]

How do I get there?
The lounge is located at the center of the B concourse, from where non-US airlines depart, to the right of the Aerotrain escalators as you enter the concourse from the train.

Hours have changed seasonally, but, as of June 2015, are 8:20 to 22:00. Some report the lounge opening earlier on occasion and some report it closing earlier on occasion.

From TSA/check-in, the B concourse is one stop away by Aerotrain, but in the opposite direction of the C concourse from where most United flights depart. When proceeding from the lounge to most UA flights, allow 20 minutes to get to the center of the C concourse, 25 if going to the far end of the D concourse.

To go to the C concourse, walk back to the Aerotrain stop and take it back to the main terminal; stay on it there and at the A concourse stop, then exit at the C stop. The walk from there to your gate may take more time than the rest of the commute.

To get to the D concourse if you're traveling light (or if you need to walk off the food you just ate), stroll briskly all the way down the B concourse and then go up the skybridge over to the A concourse. Bear right as you get off the stairs or escalators and you'll be at the mobile-lounge stop. Take that to the D concourse; enjoy the view of airplanes along the way.

Weighed down by luggage? Take the Aerotrain back to the main terminal, then head upstairs and take a mobile lounge to the D concourse.

How do I get inside?
With...
  • Any Star Gold (*G) card (including UA Premier Gold and higher) and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. There are reports (April 2014) that the physical card is no longer necessary; a *G designation on the boarding pass reflected in the barcode may be sufficient. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
  • A LH/LX HON/SEN card and a same-day departing or arriving *A boarding pass to/from any destination, domestic or international. (Senator lounge, 1 guest [plus spouse if HON] plus children under 18)
  • A LH/LX FTL card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A LH Premium Economy boarding pass with ($35 adult/$20 2-12yo child) lounge pass purchased at the ticket counter. [Can it be paid at the entrance?] (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A United Club or Maple Leaf Lounge Worldwide membership card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, 1 guest)
  • A same-day international departing *A First (Senator lounge, 1 guest) or Business (Business lounge, no guests) boarding pass
  • A same-day arriving LH/LX First boarding pass. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)

In all cases, each guest must also present a same-day *A boarding pass for admission.

Lounge access for travel in a domestic premium cabin is not regulated by *A; as such, UA F domestic passengers (without other credentials) do not have access to the LH Lounge according to *A.com, just as they do not have access to the United Clubs. However, the international requirement for C/F tickets is conspicuously absent from Lufthansa's own lounge access sheet (see below), and domestic UA F passengers have reported admission. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
[If we get (semi-)official confirmation of this policy, we'll add this to the bullets.]

Provided the lounge does not get overcrowded, as is often the case on US-based LH lounges, you may exit and re-enter the lounge as often as you wish. Note that if you are entering on a lounge pass, re-entry might not be allowed.

If your access question wasn't addressed by the above, first check the *A access policy and LH's official access policy, generally relying on the least restrictive policy of the two if they appear to conflict. If they answer a question that this wiki couldn't, update this wiki to help others! And if they don't, ask in the thread!

So, can I use the lounge upon arrival in IAD?
Only LH/LX SEN/HON (on any *A carrier) and LH/LX F passengers have access to the lounge upon arrival at IAD without regard to onward travel. See the list above for more details. There are reports, however, of passengers not meeting this criteria presenting their arriving boarding pass and still being admitted.

If you are connecting from an international flight in business class to a flight in economy and do not otherwise have lounge access, you might choose to fly United on your international segment, instead of another carrier, as United will admit its own arriving international BusinessFirst passengers to its United Clubs without regard to onward travel. If this is MileagePlus award travel, and the onward segment is on United and in economy because of a lack of award availability, you may also want to consider waitlisting for business class.

Furthermore, note that international passengers whose journey ends at IAD will be ferried by mobile lounge to the International Arrivals Building, which deposits passengers landside, to claim their bags and clear customs. [Can pax without checked bags choose to clear CBP in concourse C regardless?]

How does the Senator lounge compare to the newest Senator lounges in FRA?
Not favorably. The Senator lounge is like the old FRA lounges: cramped, and before a LH flight departure, crowded. There is a seating area set aside for first class passengers, which is less crowded. Perhaps due to the crowding, LH offers its departing F pax preboarding from the Senator lounge, something which the FRA/MUC FCT/FCL does not offer but is common among LH's outstation lounges. So, enjoying champagne and macadamias at the nose or upper deck while waiting is a nice feature of the IAD Senator lounge. [Still true?]

How does it compare to the United Clubs?
[Somebody write a succinct answer to this. Please discuss SEN vs. FTL areas, too, or at least mention if there's no difference anymore.]

How does the Senator lounge compare to the United GFL?
Apparently the GFL now has better champagne and food than the Senator lounge. However, there may be superior, "first class" champagne available for visitors traveling in first class. [Somebody please write more about this.]

This sounds too good to be true!
Lufthansa agrees! There were rumors that, effective January 1, 2015, LH's Business Lounges would become its *G lounges, which would mean non-LH *Gs would be directed downstairs to the Business lounge after that date; as of May 2015, however, this has not happened. There was some discussion of exceptions, most notable being that *G traveling in longhaul business class would still be admitted to the SEN lounge.

Lufthansa has been more generous than most *A airlines in admitting *Gs to its designated *A First class lounges—not even UA's own 1Ks get to visit United's first class lounges without a first class ticket—so this change would have brought Lufthansa somewhat more in line with the rest of the alliance.

Original thread: Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Agree 100%. It's a pretty quick turn from getting off the people mover to stepping into the LH lounge with GE and PreCheck. Midfield is no no no.
Agree with this. Even if immigration is a wash end-to-end, it's a much easier and more pleasant commute to B concourse from the main terminal. With mid field C12 dump off, you have to fight the hordes of people down the double-wide trailer sized hall.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
On this topic, if you can opt for either midfield or IAB if you don't have checked bags and are connecting, can you do the same if you aren't connecting as to get airside upon arrival to attempt to access the lounge? Or are you checked for a continuing BP?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Also, whereas, you have GE, you'll probably get PRE, I'm assuming you know that GE does not 100% guarantee that you will, in fact, get PRE. That happened to me several months ago and I've had GE almost since it started.
It's 100%. If you didn't get Pre, it's because your KTN was dropped from your itinerary.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Rus925
On this topic, if you can opt for either midfield or IAB if you don't have checked bags and are connecting, can you do the same if you aren't connecting as to get airside upon arrival to attempt to access the lounge? Or are you checked for a continuing BP?
You would be stopped by the TDC at the TSA checkpoint if you did not have an onward BP.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rus925
Technically yes, but there maybe a YMMV component. The line dragon announced that you must have a baggage claim ticket to board the mid field moon rover. I just walked passed her. There was a meek attempt to challenge me, with a "baggage ticket?," directed at the side of my head. I stated, with mild indignation, that I didn't check a bag, and kept moving. I have been wondering if there are staff members that strictly enforce this.

My next trip will be exactly the same scenario, except ironically, I wish I had not gone to mid field last time, but for my upcoming trip I do want mid field.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
You would be stopped by the TDC at the TSA checkpoint if you did not have an onward BP.
Good comment. I had a moment of panic myself in line for security, post CBP. LH was only able to print my ex-EUR BPs, and not my BP for IAD-TPA. I feverishly got on the mobile app to check-in and pull up a BP, but for not. There is no onward BP check at midfield TSA.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks everyone for the advice. This is what makes FT great. I'm in the LH SEN lounge right now and am just blown away by the food and beverage offerings.

This is one messed up airport though. It might even be worse than FCO, where you have to take a bus to the "terminal" (T5), which is basically a temporary building, and then another bus to the G gate complex. UA now using Alitalia lounge (as well as Alitalia ground staff), which was decent.

ps. Adding that it took me nearly 30 minutes to get from the LH lounge to departure gate D26. Still worth it, but wow, what an inconvenient airport.

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 28, 2014 at 1:16 am
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by nature1370
I am wondering about the closing hours: 12-13:30. Does it mean that all already admitted passengers inside the Senator lounge have to leave the lounge during this time period or only no more new admitting passengers during this time frame (whoever is already inside the lounge stays inside)? Thanks.
It doesn't close during midday right now. I rolled in to the LH lounge prior to my DL flight around 1 a couple of weeks ago.

Or are you asking how it is handled during the non-summer when it does close during the day?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
It doesn't close during midday right now. I rolled in to the LH lounge prior to my DL flight around 1 a couple of weeks ago.

Or are you asking how it is handled during the non-summer when it does close during the day?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, my trip is around the end of Oct. I am not sure how it closes during the day while already admitted guests are still inside.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nature1370
Thanks for your reply. Yes, my trip is around the end of Oct. I am not sure how it closes during the day while already admitted guests are still inside.
Closed is closed and they will ask you to leave after the ANA flight boards. This is of course assuming they do their typical seasonal reduction and eliminate the earlier LH flight to Frankfurt.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Plat
Business Lounge worth the trek?

I have a 5pm flight out of term C on UA. I would have access to the LH business but not Senator. I'll be getting to IAD around lunchtime, is it worth swinging by the Business lounge at lunchtime, or is the food the same as the UC (meaning I will be buying lunch then going to the UC at the C gates )
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jules1651
I have a 5pm flight out of term C on UA. I would have access to the LH business but not Senator. I'll be getting to IAD around lunchtime, is it worth swinging by the Business lounge at lunchtime, or is the food the same as the UC (meaning I will be buying lunch then going to the UC at the C gates )
It's completely different from the UC, and you can make a meal of it. I personally make that trek when possible.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Don't go to midfield (voluntarily) around 3 pm when it is a crazy zoo. I used to arrive frequently on the late FRA or LHR flights around 7 pm and it was a ghost town. I could make it to the curb in 10-15 min from the arrival gate using midfield. The only hassle was the TSA security check.

But now they have bodyscanners at midfield, which slows things down and I want to avoid that at all costs. They don't check BPs so there is no way to implement Precheck. In 2011-2013 I sometimes connected at SEA (which has the same connecting concept as IAD) and it was very smooth security with no bodyscanners. At SFO and LAX (and ORD) you go through normal security so Precheck is always available for the connection.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm not all all familiar with IAD -- could you guys clarify what "mid-field" means?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by chavala
I'm not all all familiar with IAD -- could you guys clarify what "mid-field" means?
At IAD, the actual gates are in remote buildings. You check in and clear security in the main, streetfront building and then take the airport train out to the actual terminal buildings in the middle of the airfield (hence midfield). There are two customs facilities for arriving international passengers: one is attached to the streetfront check-in building and dumps terminating passengers streetside, and the other is in Terminal C that returns connecting passengers to the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.