Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by zrand007
To your point, I tweeted United and was bluntly informed that TSA controls the security, implying that the company has nothing to do with the quality of the airport experience. I find it hard to believe that United doesn't have influence over the way TSA operates and the security experience at IAH considering it's basically a fortress hub for them.
Welcome to FT! You are correct, the airlines work with the airport to control the queues leading to the checkpoint. TSA authority starts at the TDC podium. In fact, every now and then there will be populist outcries against the TSA for the existence of elite lanes, and TSA always rightly responds they don't control that! Now, they do control Pre staffing. But UA pointing the finger back at TSA for the terrible queue experience at fortress hubs is really lame.

That tweet alone should be cause for escalation up UA corporate channels for either incompetence or straight up lying.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Today the air train wasn't working (although that is generally any day that ends in Y) and a TSA checkpoint was closed.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
As EWR is a frequent airport of mine - I'm not sure this is a DOT issue.

I've written a few times due to TSA and their inefficient operations and the responses discouraged me as TOO BAD, TOUGH, DEAL WITH IT!

United doesn't operate TSA or EWR - they barely have their own ground staff meet/greet arriving planes on time. I have never traveled to Europe and written to the home based carrier to say, 'lines are too long, security is too intrusive, and I deserve a fast check-in lane'.

I am not saying your observations aren't frustrating but one should arrive at airport two hours before a flight. Most times it is overkill but occasionally it is necessary and we shouldn't be so entitled (whether 1K, GS, etc.) to feel our status should prioritize us above everyone else excluding the pilot. There is always the option of private jets from private airports.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:40 am

I view it as a communication failure.

United's web site advises that passengers complete check-in 45 minutes prior to departure at Newark. And United advertises that Premier Access passengers have "exclusive security lanes" at Newark: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/products/travelproducts/Pages/PremierAccess.aspx

This is a product that United sells as an "a la carte" option. In my case, it was a function of travelling in BusinessFirst and being a 1K passenger. So I was "paying for it" but not as a separate line item.

United typically posts issues like major security delays in the "Important Notices" section of its web site. I think it's time to put something there.

In my view, nobody should be waiting in line for more than hour. But United should update its recommended check-in times on its web site, see if the security wait time signage can be changed to reflect that actual duration of the wait, and perhaps put in a disclaimer to say that Premier Access security is unavailable at Newark. Fair warning; that's all.

It would be best if they could fix the problem, but--for now--they could at least be clear with their customers about what to expect.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Complaining to DOT about TSA, which is a DHS agency, is like complaining to the butcher about the baker. It is not only a complete waste of time but confirms to both DOT and the carrier, in this case, UA that people abuse the complaint process. Consumers with serious complaints get taken less seriously. Moreover, even if DOT does ask UA to respond more germanely, the new response from UA will be, "sorry about the pre-check reference, but TSA controls the check point. Talk to them."

2. If you want to complain to someone, send a note to the DHS Inspector General. The IG can do something if TSA is routinely understaffing checkpoints. UA can't.

For what it is worth, if you look at DOT actions, you will see that it has stayed away from dealings with FFP's, "status" and other silliness. While those things are important to a limited # of travelers, DOT is clearly staying out of the stuff about whether you get a shiny plastic card or not.

As to the check-in time, UA actually advises passengers to check in 2 hours prior to scheduled departure. It sets a drop dead time of T-45 (T-15 at the gate for domestic).

I most definitely do not want carriers turning recommendations into mandatory deadlines. I do not want to be required to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure. It's my risk, but as an adult, I want to be the person making the decision.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Complaining to DOT about TSA, which is a DHS agency, is like complaining to the butcher about the baker. It is not only a complete waste of time but confirms to both DOT and the carrier, in this case, UA that people abuse the complaint process......
+1.^:-: Just look at all those people complained about airlines not honoring error fares and policy change to 399.88.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another reason to stay away from EWR: just feels like a dump and I sincerely hope UA will end the slow erosion of IAD.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I came through ORD on 5/25 around 4PM and the Pre-Check line was longer than the adjacent normal line.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by TomMM
I came through ORD on 5/25 around 4PM and the Pre-Check line was longer than the adjacent normal line.
I have seen seemingly long pre-check lines move much faster than adjacent 'short' normal lines - the whole aim of pre-check is to get people through faster. Provided there are not people who decide on their accord to start removing jackets or stuff from bags, pockets and feet the precheck line can move pretty fast, The fastest are those that do not provide any trays forcing pax to keep things in their bags and coats and shoes on bodies.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: AADULtArer
It's the NYC metro area. A 20 minute bus ride can turn into a three hour commute because someone comes to the UN that day.

Airport lines are what they are, usually predictable, and sometimes not. An hour line isn't newsworthy to frequent travelers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:55 pm

Question

Originally Posted by jendrud70
Previous lobby layout was domestic and intl Economy check in on both level 3 and 2. Premier on level 2 as well. Too chaotic.

Now it's all economy on level 2 for both domestic and international.

Level 3 is Premier and at a separate counter is Business First.

So we're flying business to St. Lucia, will we check in at level 3? Is there a check-in for business or do we use Premier?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:34 pm

Anyone know if the new check in counters are available at EWR?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Total Chaos at Secure Check at Terminal C (EWR) [Feb 26, 2016]

I arrived in EWR at around 1:30 this afternoon from LIS and was traveling on to SFO. (Both on UA metal.) I first took the air train to Terminal C. I remember I used to go through the C2 area on the 2nd Fl, but this time they reserved it for wheelchairs only. We were directed to C3 and we had to go downstairs first. This is where the chaos started.

There were multiple lines from the left to the right of the bottom of escalators/stairs. There was a Pre-check line which was really long. There was a much shorter Premier Access Line. There was another line from the left which wasn't clear what line it was. I had both PA and Pre so I naturally selected the shorter line. But they left the Pre line through much faster than the PA line. When I finally was the fourth person at the PA line, the TSA agent told us we could not go upstairs to the Pre line (despite the fact that we had both PRE and PA). She asked us if we wanted to go to the Economy line. The guy behind me said "let's go up first." When we eventually went upstairs, she tried to put everybody (who had PA) into the regular economy line.

This was when I started to argue with her. Immediately, another agent (he was wearing a jacket with a badge hanging from the neck rather than the usual TSA uniform) immediately threatened that "there were many police officers at the airport." I said I was only asking questions why someone with both PA and PRE couldn't get through the lines faster. Eventually the first agent let me get into the PRE.

I traveled to EWR in the past for connections and I don't recall this kind of chaos. This reminds of LAX which is absolutely the worst managed airport in the nation. I experienced this kind of chaos at LAX before but never at EWR.

Has EWR really gone down to this level?

Last edited by naumank; Feb 26, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Down?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I transited (EWR) security on Wednesday, Terminal C using the Precheck line. This was about 2PM after arriving from HKG. The line was about an hour long. This is for precheck.

I had to go through security in Terminal A on Thursday at about 8AM. There was no precheck. The line took about 50 min to transit.

I have no idea is this the standard, but longer than I expect to take.

Billy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.