Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New safety video coming

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just did TPAC today on a 777. I was sitting in the last row of C facing the back.

I think they said that for F/C passengers, look at the screen and for Y passengers, look at the FA. I know the FA have to do the live demo since the bulkhead monitors are stowed during taxi. For the rest of Y, I could not tell if the seatback monitors were playing the safety video during the live demo.

It seemed a little strange to be playing the video while the FAs do some of the stuff in person. For those who have never seen the video, they must be wondering what the deal was with the the gondola fighting and kangaroo sounds So, maybe the new version will fix that?
Old May 4, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
I miss the old days when the FAs did the safety demo.
Hello Airbus A319/320
Old May 4, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fjfv19
I just hope it is shorter. The current one is entertaining, but takes too long.
Ever fly on a plane with directv? First the pre-safety video, then the long safety video, then the directv commercial, then the United credit card commercial, then more commercials. The after all that the FA comes on and gives her speech repeating parts of the video.

I never understood the purpose of trying to make the safety video funny. To me, it gives off the impression that UA think's safety is a joke. How about something useful. Put everything in the setting of your actual aircraft type. Demonstrate how to open an emergency exit, floor lighting, mask, etc.

If I were from another country (meaning my english wasnt perfect) and I saw the current video, I don't think I would know learn anything about the safety features and procedures. At least with the old video, its very clear. The actual safety messages are in the foreground and buried.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
If I were from another country (meaning my english wasnt perfect) and I saw the current video, I don't think I would know learn anything about the safety features and procedures. At least with the old video, its very clear. The actual safety messages are in the foreground and buried.
I think it is a balance between attracting the passengers' attention and getting the message across. NZ had the famous naked videos and OZ's video is like a boring lesson.

If they add some WHY, it might help with compliance.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
My two cents... making safety fun doesn't make it less serious. In my job (GM of a company with a significant manufacturing footprint), my #1 priority is safety—I'm rated on that before profits—and we're continually looking for ways to make it engaging. There's little use in having a super-serious safety video if no one pays attention. But I guess everyone's entitled to their own view.

A previous poster gave a nod to Air New Zealand. I fly them often and I always get a kick out of their safety videos. They cover off the main points in an engaging way and also inject a bit of PR for New Zealand.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
My two cents... making safety fun doesn't make it less serious. In my job (GM of a company with a significant manufacturing footprint), my #1 priority is safety—I'm rated on that before profits—and we're continually looking for ways to make it engaging. There's little use in having a super-serious safety video if no one pays attention. But I guess everyone's entitled to their own view.
I have had to sit through dozens of plant safety videos as a visitor. It gets boring fast.

UA is doing it right making it interesting. A few extra people will pay attention and that helps. Look at this thread....every detail is being discussed including how to open the life jackets. A straight lecture does not invite such thought and analysis.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Hello Airbus A319/320
...and "dark" 737s and all Express flights.

Someone upthread stated 1/5 flights without video. My recent experience is more like 1/5 with video (44% Regionals; 20% Airbus; 16% "dark" Boeings).

I actually prefer the live demos and suspect they are marginally more effective. While both are doable, I find it harder (ruder?) to ignore a live person than I do a screen. My question is: why bother with a video at all? Let the FAs do their jobs.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
@united on twitter released a teaser/trailer this afternoon. same "safety is global" theme.

https://twitter.com/united/status/635859383298076676

so i guess we can expect the safety video to be refreshed once a year, around the time the new iphone drops. DL comes out with a new one 2-4 times each year.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by riphamilton
@united on twitter released a teaser/trailer this afternoon. same "safety is global" theme.

so i guess we can expect the safety video to be refreshed once a year, around the time the new iphone drops. DL comes out with a new one 2-4 times each year.
The UA safety video has been great -- I look forward to the new one. Once per year is plenty. I still wouldn't mind the old ones.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I don't really have an issue with the current safety video. The pre-safety video United bragging video is annoying. The credit card ad after the safety video is bad enough, but then sometimes they have up to four other ads after it! Usually the merciful flight attendants will mute the PA audio of the TVs after the credit card commercial (a few are nice enough to do it as soon as the safety video ends), but others let the entire thing play!

As far as how often I see it, I usually end up on the A319/A320 and express flights, so I see it one out of every five to eight flights (depends on the route and the time of the flight, saw it for the first time in months today). Definitely depends on the route; I used to do LGA->HOU and that first flight of the day was typically a 737 with DirecTV.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
So, soon we'll have:

Llamas
Penguins
Dragon
Lock Ness monster (?)
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Maybe I'll have to see it in full, but with the split screen/mirror thing it seems a bit trippy/psychedelic. I can see the llamas being funny depending on how they do it.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, that was annoying to watch.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, that was annoying to watch.
Going to have to add my "+1" to that statement.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Annoying video, they should've stuck to the old one & bagged the profit. How ingenious of them to sell off their own internal $0.00 assets for profit, ingenious, another change we don't love.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.