Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by llbean
.... Also how much better is the 767-400 seat (an aisle seat - middle thrones are already taken) vs the 777-200 First class? (I can get a middle seat in the 4 middle on the outbound but an aisle on the 4 on the way back)....
Best to aviod the middle of the middle 4.

Discussion of seating can be found
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...102e-234e.html

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 764 [767-400]

personnally I would go for the 764 if not particularly tall or large footsize
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Denver to/from Honolulu and Maui is currently reliably lie-flat.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Best to aviod the middle of the middle 4.

personnally I would go for the 764 if not particularly tall or large footsize
+1. For a widebody, I really dislike the high-density 777s, even in first. The first cabin feels crowded and the middle seats are especially bad. The 767s feel more spacious and the maximum number of neighbors you'll have is one.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Many years ago we flew HNL-ORD and our 772 domestic was subbed to a 744. It was great flying on the UD overnight. I was a wreck walking into the office in NYC that same morning, but better than I would have been.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
How reliable is it from DEN I will get a lie flat. Currently listed at 777-200? Is there still often equipment change to a recliner seat in first. I seem to see that UA almost guarantees lie flat from DEN, and IAH now on night flights but I assume this is the case for day flights as well (ie outbound). The plane has to get to HNL right?
You will have a lie-flat, guaranteed. UA no longer has any equipment with recliner seats that is capable of flying DEN/IAH-HNL without extreme weight restrictions.

Also how much better is the 767-400 seat (an aisle seat - middle thrones are already taken) vs the 777-200 First class? (I can get a middle seat in the 4 middle on the outbound but an aisle on the 4 on the way back)
Middle seat on a 77G is pretty bad.. you have almost no divider between the two middle seats so you risk "spooning" with your neighbor. Aisles are better and window pairs fine - it's a little on the narrow side but nothing unbearable.

The 764 seat is much better; however I'm not convinced it's "pay for a hotel in NYC" better. Personally I would suck up the middle seat one direction. The secret is that 1AB are blocked until about 2am CDT the night before T-48h; if you are speedy you can snag one of them when they unblock.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:55 am

Thanks for the replies

I am looking at DEN-HNL UA 328 on Dec 6th. There appear to be 2 "Z" class fares in first but I cant seem to see what seats are available - even if I try to make a purchase.

What does this mean? I would take this flight if I could get an aisle seat esp one on the side.

Any thoughts? Can anyone see what seats are available in J on this flight? Does this mean there might be a sub in for a inferior or superior aircraft?

thanks
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thanks for the replies

I am looking at DEN-HNL UA 328 on Dec 6th. There appear to be 2 "Z" class fares in first but I cant seem to see what seats are available - even if I try to make a purchase.

What does this mean? I would take this flight if I could get an aisle seat esp one on the side.

Any thoughts? Can anyone see what seats are available in J on this flight? Does this mean there might be a sub in for a inferior or superior aircraft?

thanks
try checking on expert flyer. you can do this without setting up an account by using the 'seat alert' search option.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks for the replies

EF shows all seats occupied. 1A/B are being withheld from inventory and will presumably be released around 48 hours prior to departure. 1B is an awful seat, as it sticks out into the aisle and gets heavy traffic. I am not a fan of this seating configuration at all.

DL flies the 330 from SLC, ATL, and MSP. That is an infinitely better hard product than UA's.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies

thanks
UA blocks seats 1A & 1B until about 48 hours* before departure on this aircraft type. All other seats are occupied. If you were to purchase this flight today, you probably wouldn't get a seat assignment until the gate, unless you watched for those seats to open. If you don't snag an advance seat assignment, you could end up anywhere in the cabin, as other travelers may try to poach those two seats.

* per findark, I believe it's about 2 AM Central, two calendar days before departure. So, tonight at ~1 AM Mountain.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

Are these seating options (1a or b) or a middle in the 4 bad enough that you would recommend overnighting in ewr to catch the 767-400 (can't get a throne seat but can get an aisle)

thanks again
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are these seating options (1a or b) or a middle in the 4 bad enough that you would recommend overnighting in ewr to catch the 767-400 (can't get a throne seat but can get an aisle)
No, I would book DEN and stay up late tonight to grab 1A.

Oh, except note that DEN is still having F catering problems, so you may not get a real meal on that flight.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:32 pm

WEll it will be a same day change so can't do anything until Tuesday am

what do you mean - not a real meal?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... what do you mean - not a real meal?
The catering kitchen for UA DEN had issues last month and is just starting to recover. Full recovery is rumored for mid-December. For more see DEN first class catering issues
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
WEll it will be a same day change so can't do anything until Tuesday am

what do you mean - not a real meal?
SDC + DEN catering issues start to sway my mind toward the overnight in EWR. It would depend a lot on how acceptable the hotel and price were. What is your current confirmed itinerary?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:07 pm

Currently I am Dec 5th -YYZ(overnight)- Dec 6th -EWR-HNL
return Dec 11 -HNL-EWR-YYZ

The return is great.
I have been travelling alot so was just hoping for an extra night at home as this is a work trip and Ill be gone for a month.

Crazy about the catering issues!!!
How can UA sell tickets then serve people honey nut cheerios??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.