Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WSJ: United Sent Safety Warning to Pilots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RealFan
I fly four to six segments a week and lately about half of those are on UA Express. Your comment above caught my attention. Are you saying that the UAX pilots are undertrained and therefore you are almost certain that a fatal crash is inevitable? Is the same situation true at the regional feeders for AA and DAL? Thanks in advance for any insights or details.
Take it all with a huge grain of salt. There are a whole bunch of frequent fliers on this site who think they know how to fly a plane. They don't.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Indeed.

Playing it up as some calculated master plan memo is just naive.
With JS not being well liked everywhere at the WSJ as seen in previous reports/articles maybe this story is just another one in this series.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about bringing back the wide body heavy checks from Asia? Or Airbus and 737 lines back in house? Because to be fair, those were some decisions championed by Tilton & Co. (And frankly the rest of the domestics desperate for any cost savings). I'd be a lot less worried about the pilots than the questionable 'work' that goes on at these scab outfits.
This type of comment is typical when someone has no clue how maintenance works. MRO's have nothing to do with "scabs". MRO's around the world perform maintenance on carriers from around the world, and pretty much every airline outsources some maintenance.

Tell me, how would you manage the swings in workload that happen due to the original delivery schedule of the aircraft, the endless stream of SB's and AD's, the variety of modifications that customers want (new interiors, WIFI, more legroom, etc...). Some years United would need 12-15,000 mechanics, the next few years they would need 6-8,000 mechanics. I have seen the boom and bust hiring and furlough cycles (and the vast amount of bumping and moving that mechanics have to do to stay employed). That is just probably more disruptive to good maintenance than outsourcing some work. You can't staff for the peak, but you can bleed off some work to third parties that can then manage their workload by having multiple customers.

Enough said.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Tell me, how would you manage the swings in workload that happen due to the original delivery schedule of the aircraft, the endless stream of SB's and AD's, the variety of modifications that customers want (new interiors, WIFI, more legroom, etc...). Some years United would need 12-15,000 mechanics, the next few years they would need 6-8,000 mechanics. I have seen the boom and bust hiring and furlough cycles (and the vast amount of bumping and moving that mechanics have to do to stay employed). That is just probably more disruptive to good maintenance than outsourcing some work. You can't staff for the peak, but you can bleed off some work to third parties that can then manage their workload by having multiple customers.

Enough said.
Actually, very well said. ^^
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by freshairborne

Does anybody think that one of these internal memos doesn't get sent to some pilot group or another every day? they do. This one was at the wrong place at the wrong time. All it takes is for some aviation expert to be having a slow news day and something like this lands on his or her desk, and things get sensationalized.

FAB
When sUA policies and procedures are being changed by {UA} management, is the general intention behind these changes to maintain or improve safety? Or, is the general intention to spend less money so margins can grow so Smisek can get a larger bonus?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:26 pm Reason: There is only one management team
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
When sUA policies and procedures are being changed by {UA} management, is the general intention behind these changes to maintain or improve safety? Or, is the general intention to spend less money so margins can grow so Smisek can get a larger bonus?
To run an efficient business, I would hope the answer is "both". They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:27 pm Reason: quote updated to match mod edit
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
To run an efficient business, I would hope the answer is "both". They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Safety is caused, in part, by multiple layers of controls. Something bad happens, a control is in place to protect life. The control fails, another control is in place to protect life. That control also fails, another control is in place to protect life.

This is why people aren't dying all the time. Training, procedures, maintenance, and layers upon layers of controls to protect life when things fail.

If you remove controls to save money, or you cut training to save money, the probability of a catastrophe increases.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... If you remove controls to save money, or you cut training to save money, ....
And where has it been reported that is happening? The pilots have reported procedures and training have changed in the harmonization process. Have not seen any of them reporting a cut in training or procedures. The WSJ article does not make such a claim.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Safety is caused, in part, by multiple layers of controls. Something bad happens, a control is in place to protect life. The control fails, another control is in place to protect life. That control also fails, another control is in place to protect life.

This is why people aren't dying all the time. Training, procedures, maintenance, and layers upon layers of controls to protect life when things fail.

If you remove controls to save money, or you cut training to save money, the probability of a catastrophe increases.
Removing "controls" and improving margins by cutting cost don't have to be related. You can maintain safety while cutting cost.

I'm no fan of Smisek myself, but saving money doesn't equal reducing safety. I would imagine even he knows that one costly accident due to reduced safety can blow away years of cost cutting.

Maybe it's just that I can't think that way for an airline that I fly on 90 times a year. I've met a lot of CEO's and other execs in my career, and I don't think one of them would say "it's ok if a lot of people die, as long as I get my bonus".
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
This discussion should have ended at below. Any discussion of this being caused by changes in training is just ridiculous..
  • The problems being discussed are not items that could have fallen between the cracks between the differences in training programs
  • Cockpit management is rule 101. If they are not adhering to this, then training has very little to do with it. Not paying attention to the point that you nearly fly into the ground ??? this is not found in between the different training programs.
  • Captain is 100% in charge, they assert this often, and therefore have to take 100% of the responsibility for what happened, and not start shifting blame towards the other side's training program.
  • There is not one captain flying for either of these airlines that can say that they were not trained properly in cockpit management.
  • There is not one captain flying for either of these airlines that can say that they were not trained to pay attention to what's going on to avoid crashing into terrain.
  • Stop blaming the other side's training, take responsibility for your own actions.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by freshairborne

Does anybody think that one of these internal memos doesn't get sent to some pilot group or another every day? they do. This one was at the wrong place at the wrong time. All it takes is for some aviation expert to be having a slow news day and something like this lands on his or her desk, and things get sensationalized.

FAB
Yes to both. Both things are important to the Willis Tower crowd. Within Flight Operations, though, pilots and mechanics will be more interested in increasing safety. Upper management has the last word on everything, including Flight Ops.

FAB

Originally Posted by halls120
Originally Posted by planemechanic

Enough said.
Actually, very well said.
Triple-well-said.

FAB

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And where has it been reported that is happening? The pilots have reported procedures and training have changed in the harmonization process. Have not seen any of them reporting a cut in training or procedures. The WSJ article does not make such a claim.
"But the union also complained of “shorter and less robust training,” degradation of respect for “captain’s authority,” “pilot pushing”—or pressuring them to skirt rules—and having oversight of flight operations by labor relations instead of a flight-operations executive."
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:36 pm

To be clear, the training has changed drastically. I say that as a sUA pilot. I have no first-hand experience with the sCO training. Lots of guys from sUA have gone to 737 training in Houston and come back shaking their heads, though. Just different and vastly less organized, different philosophy on who trains with whom, students having a different instructor every day, etc.

I heard on our crew bus today a guy who just finished 737 training. He was telling my copilot that he showed up for training and couldn't find the designated room that he was told to meet his instructor in. Finally he made a phone call and was told that the room he was looking for was at the training center in Houston; he had been sent to a contract training facility in Miami. That's the "IT Company With Wings". (Smisek said it first).

FAB
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
"But the union also complained of “shorter and less robust training,” degradation of respect for “captain’s authority,” “pilot pushing”—or pressuring them to skirt rules—and having oversight of flight operations by labor relations instead of a flight-operations executive."
None of that suggests that monetary concerns are the driver. Change is disruptive but to speculate monetary issues are the primary driver is a bit too provocative for my tastes. Obviously costs are always a factor and obviously there are issues (or the memo would not exists or the above pilot comments) but to connect those and suggesting one causes the other based on the above is a leap too far and unneeded innuendo.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I'm guessing the poster was mixing up AGL (above ground level) and MSL (mean sea level) elevation. If a passenger had somehow gotten the notion that departing aircraft have to climb to 10,000 ft AGL, then being only around 5,000 ft above the ground near Denver would seem to be a mistake.
Yes, I understand the difference between AGL and MSL- since I didn't have an altimeter at my seat, 5000 feet would have to be AGL, and I would hope a pilot would have realized that. I've climbed out of DEN on hundreds of RJ flights and that was the slowest climb to altitude that I could remember- and this was in icing conditions and we are bumping around in the clouds. Any one of those things is no cause for concern, but all together with they were odd to the 1% level. I wasn't in my seat screaming, but I just found it odd.

Originally Posted by RealFan
I fly four to six segments a week and lately about half of those are on UA Express. Your comment above caught my attention. Are you saying that the UAX pilots are undertrained and therefore you are almost certain that a fatal crash is inevitable? Is the same situation true at the regional feeders for AA and DAL? Thanks in advance for any insights or details.
There are a lot of people saying that RJ pilots are undertrained and inexperienced. The guy I talked to was an AA TATL pilot.

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Take it all with a huge grain of salt. There are a whole bunch of frequent fliers on this site who think they know how to fly a plane. They don't.
I don't know how to fly, and I gave up Holiday Inn Expresses for HGIs. I'm just pointing out odd things I see.

I'd like to point out a Concorde was saved by a passenger insisting that the hole in the wing from runway FOD might be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.