Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WSJ: United Sent Safety Warning to Pilots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ: United Sent Safety Warning to Pilots

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EWR764
In that case, I guess you can point to the specific aspects of the manuals, procedures and training protocols that were changed from their pre-merger United state and how those changes contributed to the safety concerns for which the bulletin was intended to address?

Absent some facts in support, another anecdotal generalization is just flamebait. We are talking about a group of professional pilots, and while some post-merger changes came down that were disruptive to procedures many had become accustomed to and familiar with, the assertion that they made the operation less safe is difficult, if not impossible to substantiate. For example, what is the pre-merger point of comparison? Just that legacy United pilots felt more comfortable doing things the way they had since new-hire training?

I'm not disputing that post-merger changes were made to a number of aspects of flight operations, I know there were, but I think it's a bit irresponsible for a lay person to conclude that they made an operation (which carries tens of millions of passengers per year) measurably less safe on the basis of informal discussions and an internal company communication directed to pilots.

Lest we forget the fairly sensationalist news piece that spurred the discussion...

Are you a pilot? Truth is truth. Training is less than what it once was. Nothing wrong about that. Manuals were changed, new policies were brought. If anything, more training was needed, not cuts.

You can continue to attack, but fact is fact. Unless you have more inside knowledge than I do, you should probably talk to some pilots of both sCO and sUA.

Less training is never good, and downgrading certain standards is not good.

I feel perfectly safe flying UA. The old UA went above and beyond what Boeing or Airbus or the FAA said. Drastic changes were made for sUA pilots, lot's of pilots are changing fleet type, extra training is needed not less.

Not everything sUA was bad as some here try to claim. sUA did some things better, and some things worse, Pilot training is one that leans toward sUA.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Are you a pilot? Truth is truth. Training is less than what it once was. Nothing wrong about that. Manuals were changed, new policies were brought. If anything, more training was needed, not cuts.

You can continue to attack, but fact is fact. Unless you have more inside knowledge than I do, you should probably talk to some pilots of both sCO and sUA.

Less training is never good, and downgrading certain standards is not good.

I feel perfectly safe flying UA. The old UA went above and beyond what Boeing or Airbus or the FAA said. Drastic changes were made for sUA pilots, lot's of pilots are changing fleet type, extra training is needed not less.

Not everything sUA was bad as some here try to claim. sUA did some things better, and some things worse, Pilot training is one that leans toward sUA.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, nor am I trying to attack you... I am familiar with a lot of what's been changed, what's different, and the way line pilots feel about how things have been carried out since the merger (overall... not very good). My issue is with blanket, general statements that would tend to misinform rather than enlighten readers of a frequent flyer forum. With respect to safety, that is an issue that can be rapidly blown out of proportion and taken out of context by a lay person. That said, you'll notice I am not going out of my way to defend the pre-merger Continental flight training philosophy.

Without going into great detail, calling it a matter of sCO vs. sUA is just a gross oversimplification of what is a rather complex situation, which is influenced by many post-merger factors that are neither organically CO nor UA...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, nor am I trying to attack you... I am familiar with a lot of what's been changed, what's different, and the way line pilots feel about how things have been carried out since the merger (overall... not very good). My issue is with blanket, general statements that would tend to misinform rather than enlighten readers of a frequent flyer forum. With respect to safety, that is an issue that can be rapidly blown out of proportion and taken out of context by a lay person. That said, you'll notice I am not going out of my way to defend the pre-merger Continental flight training philosophy.

Without going into great detail, calling it a matter of sCO vs. sUA is just a gross oversimplification of what is a rather complex situation, which is influenced by many post-merger factors that are neither organically CO nor UA...
Sounds good. I'm not saying either is unsafe, all I'm saying is that some things sUA did better and other things sCO did better. In the case of the pilots, sCO came in and went with there standards over sUA's. Right or wrong, more training is needed.

We continually hear about how sCO had better maintenance, which may be true, or not, but let's not disregard how highly sUA was regarded in pilot training.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by freshairborne
Smisek only knows what his little people in Flight Ops tell him, except for the part about the money. Our training has always been predated upon a certain ratio of pass/fail. I'm paraphrasing when I say that if more than 99% of trainees pass, they reduce the training until it drops to 98% because it's cheaper to retrain a few than "overtrain" all of us.

Training in exCO facilities with exCO instructors is vastly different than PMUA everything. And PMUA training has been recognized worldwide in the commercial aviation community as the best on the planet.

FAB
I hear the same thing from 1KPath Cousins who are pilots with UA... they are quite unhappy about it!

Personally, in the 70's I went through CRM (cockpit resource management) training and Unusual Attitude Recovery training at UA at Stapleton when I was in the Air Force. My classmates included SAM crews (Air Force One) The training blew us away...it was so much more intensive and comprehensive than what we had received previously...we had more hours with instructors in simulators in those six weeks than any of us had experienced before! There is no doubt in my mind that PMUA training was the very best. I remember 1KPathDad who was a senior pilot with TWA saying that he wished that TWA spent half the resources on training that UA did.

Is flying UA safe...sure! Is it as safe as it was before...this is the question that concerns me. As a pilot and a frequent flyer, the corporate philosophy to cut training to the bare minimums does not make me happy!

Last edited by 1KPath; Feb 26, 2015 at 10:56 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:55 am

In the case of the pilots, sCO came in and went with there standards over sUA's.
You hear this all the time in almost every department on both sides. A policy changes and a sCO guy says "sUA is taking over". A sUA guy see the same policy and says "sCO is taking over". What both sides failed to realize is that most policies are brand new to both sides. But because of fear of change and ingnorance, it's easier to just point a finger and make an assumption, rather than doing some investigation on how the policy came about.

During this merger, almost ever policy and procedure was reevaluated, and "best" practices chosen. Many of them new to both sides. It's very inaccurate to say that one side came in and imposed their will on the other. Thats fear and ignorance talking. Not reality.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by BB2220
You hear this all the time in almost every department on both sides. A policy changes and a sCO guy says "sUA is taking over". A sUA guy see the same policy and says "sCO is taking over". What both sides failed to realize is that most policies are brand new to both sides.
So true, from where I sit, it looks like UA policies over riding most things, and as said, the UA folks think the opposite.

Same with routes, the CO FA's saw much of their longhaul pairings go to UA FA's, and the UA folks see it the other way around.

Both sides face changes
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc

The legacy CO procedures are quite safe. CO used, with very minor exceptions, Boeing's operating manuals and procedures manuals verbatim, flying its aircraft according to manufacturer specifications.
For the sake of argument, if pmUA's procedures exceeded manufacturer's specifications, wouldn't you expect pilots to be unhappy with the combined procedures being a step back, even if they met the specs?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I really need to stress that, while there certainly are sUA vs. sCO threads, it is not purely a partisan issue. There is a lot more to it than tulips and globes...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Well, I give UA props for taking care of the issue instead of sweeping it under the rug. That being said, can't speak for the mainline side as I don't know too much about it, but the RJ side of things (UA, AA/US, DL) need to invest more in training and pay their pilots more. Can't expect much if they're doing a demanding job for $10,000-$25,000 a year.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
People can choose sides all they want, but no matter what, neither side has reduced training to the point where pilots should be forced to do emergency maneuvers to avoid crashing into terrain. If there had been a valid reason for this maneuver, it would not have been cited in the document.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Trying to make this story into a partisan issue is just ridiculous. Besides, if you want to hear pilot groups bickering, listen to the US/HP pilots' opinion of AA pilots' ability to keep the airplane from flying into the ground. Just sayin
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Plus 1 - the claim that CO flight training and operational procedures are somehow less safe or thorough than PMUA is hyperbolic. Mistakes are made by pilots every day, regardless of their former employer - why? Because pilots are human beings, not autobots.
It's downright ridiculous IMO.

Originally Posted by freshairborne

And PMUA training has been recognized worldwide in the commercial aviation community as the best on the planet.

FAB
Care to provide proof?
No dog in the fight just always entertained by the UA vs CO dynamic on here.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 26, 2015 at 8:36 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
It's downright ridiculous IMO.
No mea culpa. UA exceeded the manufacturers requirements.

Not saying sCO did it wrong, sUA had more training. Nothing false. sUA pilots were given new procedures, it takes time to get used to change and more training is needed.

I feel safe on sUA or sCO.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Care to provide proof?
No dog in the fight just always entertained by the UA vs CO dynamic on here.
He's a pilot. Need more proof?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 2015 at 1:19 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
No mea culpa. UA exceeded the manufacturers requirements.

Not saying sCO did it wrong, sUA had more training. Nothing false. sUA pilots were given new procedures, it takes time to get used to change and more training is needed.

I feel safe on sUA or sCO.
I've noticed a common theme mentioned on a few of your posts...

Just a FYI, sUA did not adopt all of sCO policies and procedures. Not sure where you got that information but it isn't exactly correct.

The reality is there are procedures from each carrier that are now SOP. Both the legacy UA and CO pilots have new procedures they've adopted that were never part of the previous subsidiary.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder how much the company's dynamic crew scheduling contributes to the problems? On Sunday, I was on a flight where one of the cockpit crew arrived 15 minutes before we pushed back from the gate. Presumably the other had done the walk around and some other pre-flight checks, but once everyone was boarded we sat another 10 minutes until the pilot or co-pilot boarded, then the cockpit and cabin doors closed, and then we pushed back.

I wonder how much time for briefing and teamwork there was in the cockpit before takeoff on that flight? We landed quite safely in YVR, I must add.
We do the majority of our preflight stuff before we get to the airplane. On most domestic flights, we can have all out cockpit prep stuff done and be pushing back 15 or 20 minutes after we get on the plane. More is nice, but not essential. Remember, we've done this before.

FAB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.