Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It went from Booked 15, checked in <15, to Booked 15 (21 blocked), checked in >15, then booked full, checked in >15, <40

Preventing collisions does make sense
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Operational Upgrade order?

I'm on a flight tomorrow morning OMA-SFO. Silver on an award ticket.

Economy on flight is sold out. All CPU's have cleared with 4 remaining seats open. If no more Priemers check in and economy is oversold who would get moved to front cabin first. Silver on award ticket or non elite on revenue ticket?

Another note they are really enticing me with a $99 buy up offer.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhunt
I'm on a flight tomorrow morning OMA-SFO. Silver on an award ticket.

Economy on flight is sold out. All CPU's have cleared with 4 remaining seats open. If no more Priemers check in and economy is oversold who would get moved to front cabin first. Silver on award ticket or non elite on revenue ticket?

Another note they are really enticing me with a $99 buy up offer.
All CPUs have cleared for people who have checked in.

If they have to do op-ups, it would go status then fare class. So, GS on an award, 1K on an award, etc.

$99 is a pretty good deal for a flight of that distance, in my opinion.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
If they have to do op-ups, it would go status then fare class. So, GS on an award, 1K on an award, etc.
While that's what you might hope and expect, I suspect it's often more of a situation like "who's standing in front of me and would be the least amount of work".
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:25 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
When do the award tickets with Chase cards get CPU'ed? wouldn't they clear first?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
When do the award tickets with Chase cards get CPU'ed? wouldn't they clear first?
Qualifying travelers (if CPU eligible flight, the primary cardholder on select MP bread Chase cards) will be on the normal CPU/gate list and would be upgraded if and when space is release and they are on top of the list. Just as any other person on the list

For more see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ase-ua-cc.html
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan
All CPUs have cleared for people who have checked in.

$99 is a pretty good deal for a flight of that distance, in my opinion.
Just to be clear...GS on award tickets would be upgraded at the GS window. So it would go to elites on award tickets who don't have the United credit card (which qualifies them for award ticket upgrades). Silver on an award ticket could definitely be op-up'd but chances are so slim that they are "next in line".

And the other posters are correct that the list is blank because there are no checked-in elites eligible for upgrade. It's quite possible other elites will check-in and be added to the list or flyers SDC to the flight that are already in paid first (assuming the buckets are not zeroed out).

-RM
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just to be clear...GS on award tickets would be upgraded at the GS window. So it would go to elites on award tickets who don't have the United credit card (which qualifies them for award ticket upgrades). Silver on an award ticket could definitely be op-up'd but chances are so slim that they are "next in line".
Sorry, I couldn't remember if GS got CPUs on awards or merely the ability to use instruments. And, yes, you're right that credit-card holders would already be upgraded. My point was the same as yours -- OP is obviously hoping for an op-up, and quite reasonably so, but I think we both agree that it's far from a sure thing.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I just checked that flight and although normal economy is full, there are about 10 E+ seats available. So personally I would take the $99 buy up offer. It's a 4+ hour flight, so figure 5 hours of seat time total = $20/hr.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tstauck
I just checked that flight and although normal economy is full, there are about 10 E+ seats available. So personally I would take the $99 buy up offer. It's a 4+ hour flight, so figure 5 hours of seat time total = $20/hr.
what does seats on the seat map have to do with anything? The risk is high, because of the $99 buy-up IMO. Someone will purchase these seats and no OPUP will be necessary.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tstauck
I'm in 7C that best econ seat on E175. Will watch seatmap/upgrades in morning. To decide on buy up. Not a heavy elite route so doubt there 4 that haven't checked in yet. But will be fine staying in 7C too.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhunt
.... Will watch seatmap/upgrades in morning. To decide on buy up. ....
Cash upgrade prices are dynamic
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Looks like great chances for op-up if you're on UA 818 (EZE-IAH) tomorrow (11 July). T-24 and Polaris is only booked 10/50 with 21 blocked (presumably due to Y oversell). I imagine UA will aggressively offer HODS at check-in before doing the op-ups.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Have two seats booked on an upcoming Intl leg to CDG over Thanksgiving weekend. Y is empty and so is J.

Any 1K’s or GS have experience with comp Intl upgrades under these circumstances when the cabin is empty? I did not purchase a W fare as it was significantly higher than the lowest available fare.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This past Christmas day I flew LHR-ORD, 6 people in J and a light load in Y. There were no comp upgrades. My only comp intl upgrade was ORD-LHR, I got bumped from J to F because J was oversold. That's my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.