Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tstauck
If I'm reading that correctly, R=2. So if you used miles you would get confirmed instantly for an upgrade, correct?
Yes. A lot less free than an op-up though

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Until you start seeing more than +1 blocked (which is for crew rest), I wouldn't get hopes up too high. Additionally, any GS and 1K will be ahead of you as well.
I believe the crew rest on the 787s are bunks above 1DE, on both the -8 and -9.
Mocassin likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
UA890, PVG-SFO, Monday, both cabins are full, but there are 14 unoccupied Polaris seats. What is my chance as 1K?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu
UA890, PVG-SFO, Monday, both cabins are full, but there are 14 unoccupied Polaris seats. What is my chance as 1K?
I had to remove my comment because I did not realize that your flight was leaving at 12:15 AM. I guess that it's not so surprising that the map in Economy was already showing full as the flight was leaving in one hour. Polaris Business was not so full: 38 seats booked out of 48 so I do hope that you got lucky.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 21, 2018 at 8:23 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I had to remove my comment because I did not realize that your flight was leaving at 12:15 AM. I guess that it's not so surprising that the map in Economy was already showing full as the flight was leaving in one hour. Polaris Business was not so full: 38 seats booked out of 48 so I do hope that you got lucky.
Flight went out with an empty seat in coach and business wide open. No OpUp on this flight for the OP.

-RM
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Flight went out with an empty seat in coach and business wide open. No OpUp on this flight for the OP.

-RM
If it was me (I started flying United 15 months ago so I'm still learning all things United), I would have taken a TOD if offered when Coach is fully booked. Coach is OK if it's not fully booked and I have a bulkhead or exit row seat.

I never hope that I would get an OpUp. But I did get many of them when flying BA and one time on United. The one time on United, I was already in my coach seat on a ORD-CDG flight when they asked me to move forward. I did get an extremely good seat: 6J on a 772. But, since it was unexpected, I never checked if coach was full on that flight.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Obviously, I took my E+ seat on UA890. I monitored the seat map and upgrade standby list for 2 hours after checkin. There was no indication that anyone was op-uped. I just wonder that United does not oversells the coach cabin at all for flights out of China after the Dao event based upon my own experiences flying out of PVG. United certainly loses some revenue because of this new practice.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously, I took my E+ seat on UA890. I monitored the seat map and upgrade standby list for 2 hours after checkin. There was no indication that anyone was op-uped. I just wonder that United does not oversells the coach cabin at all for flights out of China after the Dao event based upon my own experiences flying out of PVG. United certainly loses some revenue because of this new practice.
In order to oversell a flight UA needs people to buy the seats.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I've flown out of PVG on full economy flights (and not full business) post Dao. While I haven't been op-up'd (not putting that to chance), I've seen people op-up'd. Dao didn't change anything. TomMM below has it right.

Originally Posted by TomMM
In order to oversell a flight UA needs people to buy the seats.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
I'm scheduled to fly UA952 (ORD-MUC) on Monday, March 12 on a 3-class B772. I'm a 1K booked on a Z fare. As you can see below there is wide availability in all three classes of service.

Does anyone have any insights into this route? Given this flight is on a Monday, I'm expecting a lighter elite/business traveler load, meaning less of a need for op-ups. When I flew this route in reverse about a year ago on a Saturday, I was upgraded from business to first as a gold on a D fare. My coworkers, who were gold and silver (!) at the time, were also upgraded. I assume this upgrade was an op-up as we didn't use any instrument (we obviously we didn't have any) or do a miles + co-pay.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
.... When I flew this route in reverse about a year ago on a Saturday, I was upgraded from business to first as a gold on a D fare. My coworkers, who were gold and silver (!) at the time, were also upgraded. I assume this upgrade was an op-up as we didn't use any instrument (we obviously we didn't have any) or do a miles + co-pay.
Op ups are rare in the first place and should never be counted on plus it is far too soon to make any speculation -- look at the loads a day or two before travel. Monday, eastbound TATL still has significant business traffic -- Tuesday, Wednesday are the lighter days
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Op ups are rare in the first place and should never be counted on plus it is far too soon to make any speculation -- look at the loads a day or two before travel. Monday, eastbound TATL still has significant business traffic -- Tuesday, Wednesday are the lighter days
Thanks for the insight. I would never bet on an op-up - and really don't care given the difference between business class and first class on UA is relatively marginal.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
2/14/18 UA 851 ORD-PEK.
F8FN8A7ON7O0
J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P9PN9R9RN9IN8I0
Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W9S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X0

My mom is on this flight in E+. Y is full accroding to status but Y9. J has 15/40 booked, 10 checked in. F has 0/8 booked.
She wants to upgrade using miles on an H fare, 30K + $450 copay. R=9.
She is Gold.
She asked about opup. I told her that Y is full (though Y9) but there is no one on the standby list so probably not unless someone gets added but that is still a gamble. No way to know if it is overbooked

I've never upgraded this late in the game, but I told her she should be able to do it at the counter. However, I mentioned that opups are typically done at the gate so she may want to wait to speak to the gate agent instead and maybe they will opup her or at least give some indication on chances. However the gate mention usually doesnt show up til shortly before the flight. I did mention that if she upgrades early, she should goto to the polaris lounge and not the regular one and she might even get a meal in the lounge. I've never even been in there so I'm not clear about it. And also reminded her of asking for the PJ's, matress pad, and gel pillow.

Was this good advice?

Last edited by eng3; Feb 14, 2018 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
2/14/18 UA 851 ORD-PEK.
F8FN8A7ON7O0J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P9PN9R9RN9IN8I0Y9YN9B9M9 E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W9S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X0

My mom is on this flight in E+. Y is full. J has 15/40 booked, 10 checked in. F has 0/8 booked.
She wants to upgrade using miles on an H fare, 30K + $450 copay. R=9.
She is Gold.
She asked about opup. I told her that Y is full (though Y9) but there is no one on the standby list so probably not unless someone gets added but that is still a gamble. No way to know if it is overbooked

I've never upgraded this late in the game, but I told her she should be able to do it at the counter. However, I mentioned that opups are typically done at the gate so she may want to wait to speak to the gate agent instead and maybe they will opup her or at least give some indication on chances. However the gate mention usually doesnt show up til shortly before the flight. I did mention that if she upgrades early, she should goto to the polaris lounge and not the regular one and she might even get a meal in the lounge. I've never even been in there so I'm not clear about it. And also reminded her of asking for the PJ's, matress pad, and gel pillow.

Was this good advice?
UA has zeroed out economy. J shows 15 booked with 21 blocked, so they're planning to upgrade at least 21 people. Whether or not there are 21 passengers with higher status on the flight, or instruments already applied, who can say? That's the biggest risk you're taking. I don't know whether or not UA will still process mile+copay upgrades at the gate; buy-ups are definitely possible. I'd think the Premier line could do it as long as the flight hasn't gone to airport control.

I will say that ORD-PEK two days before CNY is definitely a good choice as far as op-ups go, though.

Good luck!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Where do you see the 21 blocked? I dont see that on the status page. I see the standby lists all empty. I saw R9 so I figured the mileage+copay would go through for sure. But yeah, its always a gamble with an opup. I figured if my mom actually spoke directly to the GA, and the GA saw she wanted to use miles+copy, the GA may just opup her. I figure that is easier than processing the mileage and charging the money. I wasnt sure if the checkin counter ever does opups. It is just a little disheartening to pay for an upgrade then see many people get upgraded for free 10min later. Ofcourse I guess that is the price of not playing the lottery.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Where do you see the 21 blocked? I dont see that on the status page. I see the standby lists all empty. I saw R9 so I figured the mileage+copay would go through for sure. But yeah, its always a gamble with an opup. I figured if my mom actually spoke directly to the GA, and the GA saw she wanted to use miles+copy, the GA may just opup her. I figure that is easier than processing the mileage and charging the money. I wasnt sure if the checkin counter ever does opups. It is just a little disheartening to pay for an upgrade then see many people get upgraded for free 10min later. Ofcourse I guess that is the price of not playing the lottery.
Mobile app via the status page shows 21 blocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.