Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold

Can someone confirm the load availability for flight UA862 from HKG to SFO on 1/5/14? I see only Y fare tickets available on UA's website. What are the chances of upgrade to BF with Y class with and without using a GPU as a 1K? If economy is sold out, I would get a CPU without having to burn a GPU?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 14, 2013 at 7:14 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
That flight is not CPU eligible.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
you could buy Y and upgrade with limited amount of miles and no copay thereby saving a GPU. if economy is sold out they might op-up some pax if BF is not also sold out. they'd run through the instrument upgrade requests before doing op-ups.

if you are searching on a one way, there is a very good reason you are getting Y fares only returned. check the buckets with expert mode to confirm if Y is actually the only bucket available. my guess is you'll see availability in other classes.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
That flight is not CPU eligible.
I know that in general it is not CPU eligible. A couple years ago, I once received a complimentary upgrade on that flight (I assume Y was oversold). I just took my new boarding pass and sat in my BF seat
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by tksr80
I know that in general it is not CPU eligible. A couple years ago, I once received a complimentary upgrade on that flight (I assume Y was oversold). I just took my new boarding pass and sat in my BF seat
That is called an Operational Upgrade (Op-UP). Your use of CPU in the first post is causing the confusion.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you could buy Y and upgrade with limited amount of miles and no copay thereby saving a GPU. if economy is sold out they might op-up some pax if BF is not also sold out. they'd run through the instrument upgrade requests before doing op-ups.

if you are searching on a one way, there is a very good reason you are getting Y fares only returned. check the buckets with expert mode to confirm if Y is actually the only bucket available. my guess is you'll see availability in other classes.
How do I turn on expert mode? I searched by lowest available class and only Y fare turned up. BTW, it is the return of a round-trip flight
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
How do I turn on expert mode? I searched by lowest available class and only Y fare turned up. BTW, it is the return of a round-trip flight
You can do that in your profile.
The likelihood of getting an operational upgrade on that route is very slim.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: MYOB
Ask Alex
She'll give you the location in your profile to update.
(click on ask Alex. click at the bottom to turn sound off enter Expert Mode in the Ask me a Question box and she'll tell you where to update your profile)

Last edited by xzh445; Nov 14, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.