Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Elites +Companion Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:
  • United℠ Explorer Card
  • United Explorer℠ Business Card
  • United℠ Business Card
  • United Quest℠ Card
  • United Club℠ Card
  • United Club℠ Business Card
  • United Club℠ Infinite Card
  • United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card
  • United Presidential Plus Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
New statement on companions changed late 2021?
This benefit only extends to one companion traveling on an award ticket. The companion must be traveling on the same PNR as the primary Cardmember.
Early on success in being transferred to the gate list had been spotty and many agents will claim this benefit does not exist. Since 2017 this appears to be working better.

Previous thread
Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC {ARCHIVE}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Elites +Companion Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al

Has there been a change to the companion CPU policy for eligible cardholders on award tickets?

Just received a mailer explaining my existing United Club Card was being converted to a United Club Infinite Card next month. The first page of the letter states "you can now take advantage of Complimentary Premier Upgrades for one companion traveling on the same reservation on award tickets (when available)." Yet, the full terms & conditions in the membership guide also included states "The primary Cardmember who has MileagePlus Premier status and is traveling on an award ticket is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select United- and United Express-operated flights, subject to availability; travel companions and authorized users are not eligible." (emphasis added) Seems contradictory.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'd assume the change is real and UA neglected to update the original T&Cs (i.e. "the small print"). Not surprising.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
My Tue night Oct 12-13 award XN (domestic, not EWR/JFK) red-eye's upgrade list was unveiled late last night. However, my companion (silver) and I (gold) are not on the CPU list. Any reason why I'm not eligible?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
My Tue night Oct 12-13 award XN (domestic, not EWR/JFK) red-eye's upgrade list was unveiled late last night. However, my companion (silver) and I (gold) are not on the CPU list. Any reason why I'm not eligible?
Care to share the city pairs?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:41 pm

You have a United credit card?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...(domestic, not EWR/JFK)....
Some Hawaii routes (Hawaii is domestic) are also not CPU-eligible.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by CaptJOB
You have a United credit card?
LAX-BOS, both Explorer card holders.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:19 pm

There's a thread here talking about that route and how United doesn't seem to be sure whether or not they're considering BOS a Premium TCON again. It's specifically about SFO-BOS but I imagine the same rules apply.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by CaptJOB
There's a thread here talking about that route and how United doesn't seem to be sure whether or not they're considering BOS a Premium TCON again. It's specifically about SFO-BOS but I imagine the same rules apply.
But LAX-BOS has never been premium. And it's not the lie flat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
But LAX-BOS has never been premium. And it's not the lie flat.

My son flew that route last week on a revenue ticket.The 10:40PM departure from LAX he missed by a mile, the 6 PM departure from BOS had originally 10 seats, He missed it by one at the gate. He is a Platinum

so as a gold with a credit card on an award your the lowest gold possible I don’t see the odds in your favor. As to why you’re not appearing, call in and ask? I didn’t think it extends to anyone except the card holder even on the same PNR. Therefore split the split reservation and I guess you will appear

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 10, 2021 at 2:16 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
...Therefore split the split reservation and I guess you will appear
Pretty sure award CPU is disabled on multi-person PNR.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Has there been a change to the companion CPU policy for eligible cardholders on award tickets?

Just received a mailer explaining my existing United Club Card was being converted to a United Club Infinite Card next month. The first page of the letter states "you can now take advantage of Complimentary Premier Upgrades for one companion traveling on the same reservation on award tickets (when available)." Yet, the full terms & conditions in the membership guide also included states "The primary Cardmember who has MileagePlus Premier status and is traveling on an award ticket is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select United- and United Express-operated flights, subject to availability; travel companions and authorized users are not eligible." (emphasis added) Seems contradictory.

-FlyerBeek
Wow! Never knew that, I guess it’s specific to the infinite card?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
When you book the tickets, you need to book separately and pay the taxes/fees with different Explorer cards. That is, each primary cardholder pays his/her own taxes/fees. When you book the tickets together and after you split the reservation, only one pax (who paid the taxes) is eligible for upgrade.

My son flew that route last week on a revenue ticket.The 10:40PM departure from LAX he missed by a mile, the 6 PM departure from BOS had originally 10 seats, He missed it by one at the gate. He is a Platinum

so as a gold with a credit card on an award your the lowest gold possible I don’t see the odds in your favor. As to why you’re not appearing, call in and ask? I didn’t think it extends to anyone except the card holder even on the same PNR. Therefore split the split reservation and I guess you will appear
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'd assume the change is real and UA neglected to update the original T&Cs (i.e. "the small print"). Not surprising.
Yes, hopefully that's the case.

Wow! Never knew that, I guess it’s specific to the infinite card?
Who knows? Right now the official T&Cs don't reflect the companion award CPU benefit. Hopefully we'll see some positive datapoints posted here in the next month.

-FlyerBeek
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:53 am

My son flew that route last week on a revenue ticket. The 10:40PM departure from LAX he missed by a mile, the 6 PM departure from BOS had originally 10 seats, He missed it by one at the gate. He is a Platinum. So as a gold with a credit card on an award your the lowest gold possible I don’t see the odds in your favor. As to why you’re not appearing, call in and ask? I didn’t think it extends to anyone except the card holder even on the same PNR. Therefore split the split reservation and I guess you will appear
Here's a report of what happened for my mom (Silver) and I (Gold), both Explorer primary, on our 10/12 redeye LAX-BOS and 10/19 morning BOS-LAX:
* 10/11 evening OLCI: We did not appear on the list.
* 10/12 afternoon: I called Premier line, was told Explorer card wasn't eligible. I looked up the FAQs, Explorer was right there. I called a 2nd time, was told only airport agent could do it.
* 10/12 evening: Arrived at the T7 Premier counter, was told only gate agent could do it, maybe try upstairs at the CS counter.
* At the CS counter: Explained everything to the agent, took a few minutes, we were added! I was suddenly #1, mom was #2, proving my suspicion that all Golds had been upgraded at that point. I as award Gold and mom as award Gold companion were ahead of revenue Silvers.
* Just before boarding time: App and SMS notified I was upgraded. Wallet BP wouldn't update. Turned out I was split to a new PNR. Had to go into the app for the new BP.
* 10/17 morning: We appeared on the CPU list, separated by revenue Silvers, mom at the bottom. Long list. Hopeless anyway.
* 10/18 morning: We had to OLCI separately. She got Group 2 unlike the 1st flight.

(One big annoyance was the extra long walk to TBIT to use *ABL because we had to go to T7 first to sort this out. But it was fun to see our 739 from CUN parked at TBIT before it was towed to T8 while we were walking to T8.)

Last edited by HkCaGu; Oct 20, 2021 at 10:59 am Reason: shortened lounge walk annoyance, corrected date

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.