Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
United & Chase seem to be taking a similar approach and seem to be planning an exclusive with Visa instead of Mastercard.
So it is Chase and the branding. Visa for UA cards, MC for IHG cards, etc. Not that Chase is no longer doing MC as I interpreted the post I responded to, Is this what you are saying?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Baze
So it is Chase and the branding. Visa for UA cards, MC for IHG cards, etc. Not that Chase is no longer doing MC as I interpreted the post I responded to, Is this what you are saying?
Mind you this is only a rumor at this point which only one Chase agent quoted to me. Most of these types of agreements will have the co-brand partner selecting either Visa or Mastercard so United likely plays a primary role in selecting Visa over Mastercard. Chase bank is capable of issuing either one.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 pm

Just a note that, on the second try, I have received my MileagePlus Explorer card with Chip. And an interesting observation: This new chip card is oddly thin. Noticeably thinner than any other plastic credit card I have.

Last edited by PackingIt; Mar 5, 2015 at 5:43 pm
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I recently received new UA Club card and Chase Sapphire. The sapphire has a chip, while the club card does not. Since the chip card doesn't work with PIN, I am not sure if it will have any benefit to me.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mikel51
I recently received new UA Club card and Chase Sapphire. The sapphire has a chip, while the club card does not. Since the chip card doesn't work with PIN, I am not sure if it will have any benefit to me.
You can now get the club card with a chip. That's what this thread is about.

The chip is plenty useful even without a PIN.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Receipt of new MP Club card. Same metallic dimensions - very happy! Called to order it 2/24 or 2/25, forgot exact date. Received it in a week and a half or less than 9 business days! Looking forward to trying it out in Germany/Austria in 2 weeks.

Last edited by miasmal; Mar 6, 2015 at 11:10 am
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Any business card holders get this?

I had a further round of correspondence with the @Chase_Support Twitter account, which concluded with a message that "I was notified that this feature is not available w/the United business credit card." That was repeated in a letter I got last week.

Have any of you with the business version of this card received an EMV version yet?

(FWIW, I had no trouble using my no-chip card at a couple of restaurants in Barcelona last week.)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:50 pm

Is the chip and signature a "halfway approach" as suggested here? It does raise some valid issues re: acceptance (IMO).

First and foremost, in countries that have made chip-and-PIN their credit card standard, chip-and-signature credit cards are useless at certain unattended automated kiosks, such as you might find in European train stations or, as one of our readers informed us (See Comments below), certain small restaurants and parking garages.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Club card with "chip+signature" has been working well in France this week where there is human to interact with and process the card. The card reader seems to automatically print the receipt and ask for signature and I haven't gotten any strange looks or confusion from multiple shops and restaurants.

As noted by others, however, non-human kiosks (train station) are useless with "Chip+Signature".
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
My wife's Explorer was due to expire and the new card that they sent automatically a few days ago did not come with a chip.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by malgudi
Is the chip and signature a "halfway approach" as suggested here? It does raise some valid issues re: acceptance (IMO).
Chip & Signature cards as well as magnetic stripe only cards do continue to have acceptance issues in some locations that require a PIN for credit card purchases. This happens at unmanned kiosk locations like some train stations where you might be out of luck without cash. There are occasional sales people who also refuse a signature only card because they fear that they will bear the cost of of fraud for signature transactions which are later denied as stolen cards.

Last edited by FLYDCA; Mar 9, 2015 at 10:24 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
As noted by others, however, non-human kiosks (train station) are useless with "Chip+Signature".
Depends on which station though. Say in Paris - nearly all metro stations took my chip+signature card, but RER from Versailles didn't work.

The inconsistent one is RoissyBus (to CDG). From CDG the kiosk took my card, but it failed from Paris Opera.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Called yesterday, was told they don't exist yet. I've got the Mileage Plus Club personal Visa.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Chip & Signature cards as well as magnetic stripe only cards do continue to have acceptance issues in some locations that require a PIN for credit card purchases. This happens at unmanned kiosk locations like some train stations where you might be out of luck without cash. There are occasional sales people who also refuse a signature only card because they fear that they will bear the cost of of fraud for signature transactions which are later denied as stolen cards.
Is this an issue in London? If so, I may have to take some other card with me.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by eajusa
Is this an issue in London? If so, I may have to take some other card with me.
While I can't vouch for London, I can tell you that Paris Metro ticket machines will not accept chip & signature cards. They need to be chip & PIN cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.