Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by villox
When I checked into a hotel in Rome last fall, their system kept rejecting my Sapphire card every time she swiped it. When she tried using the chip, it went through. YMMV.
I think it's normal for machines equipped with chip readers to decline accepting chip cards through swipe.

It has happened to me at Sam's club and a few other merchants who have machines which can take both chip and mag strip cards. Everytime I swipe a card which has a chip, it gets rejected.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K
PP is updating

Just called Chase. They said all PP MCs are being converted over to Visa Signature. They said it will be Apple Pay ready and have an EMV chip. Its on request only at this stage. She asked if I wanted one and I said "yes". I had her verify it was indeed a PP as they would need to pry it from my cold dead hands. She said "It was indeed a United Presidential Plus Visa that has all the same benefits as the Mastercard from United, however, the Mastercard to Visa Signature may change other benefits". I had her confirm that I will retain my AVIS Presidents Circle and PQM. She said "yes".

So in theory, its in the mail and on its way...
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I think it's normal for machines equipped with chip readers to decline accepting chip cards through swipe.
Unless the chip doesn't go through. Then you have to swipe.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by javac0d34
Just called Chase. They said all PP MCs are being converted over to Visa Signature. They said it will be Apple Pay ready and have an EMV chip. Its on request only at this stage. She asked if I wanted one and I said "yes". I had her verify it was indeed a PP as they would need to pry it from my cold dead hands. She said "It was indeed a United Presidential Plus Visa that has all the same benefits as the Mastercard from United, however, the Mastercard to Visa Signature may change other benefits". I had her confirm that I will retain my AVIS Presidents Circle and PQM. She said "yes"...
That should be a red flag. United/Chase is discontinuing the Avis relationship and switch to Hertz. All gone by end of 2015. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...-hertz-pc.html

Since this is thread is about the United Club card, you find more about the Presidential Plus in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...14-2015-a.html
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 2MM, AA MM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by benny08
I called in today to request EMV for my explorer card. The rep asked if I have any upcoming travel plans, I said no. I said unless that's a requirement, I can make up a travel plan. lol He laughed, and told me I will receive it within 7 - 10 business days. The explorer card is even more fugly-er with the EMV chip. They really need a new design like those Citi AAdvantage cards.
The grey in the new citi aa cards look good online but looks a bit dull in person

I guess it's applicable for your scenario (explorer card), but the higher end chase United club card is really something special with that heavy metallic feel to it
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That should be a red flag. United/Chase is discontinuing the Avis relationship and switch to Hertz. All gone by end of 2015. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...-hertz-pc.html

Since this is thread is about the United Club card, you find more about the Presidential Plus in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...14-2015-a.html
Actually the thread's more about the EMV chip I was reporting about the PP since there were a few posts in here about the EMV in the PP.

The Avis PC is for 2015... so its good until the end of the year. No red flags.

I just checked my Chase online account... its now confirmed with a Visa number and its "Presidential Plus". They already moved the account over.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:34 pm

The problem is chip and signature won't work in any automated kiosks (e.g. train station or gas stations). It will work where there is a clerk to hand you the terminal to insert the card (restaurant, store, or hotels). We ended up getting a true chip and pin Visa from the UNFCU which we used both in London (tube) and Paris (metro). Unfortunately the UNFCU does charge a 1% foreign transaction fee, so we ended up using the chip and pin only for the tube and metro, and used the (non chipped) United Visa for everything else. We found all the stores and hotels accepted mag stripe cards in both France and the UK.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by rohara
The problem is chip and signature won't work in any automated kiosks (e.g. train station or gas stations). It will work where there is a clerk to hand you the terminal to insert the card (restaurant, store, or hotels). We ended up getting a true chip and pin Visa from the UNFCU which we used both in London (tube) and Paris (metro).
That's not true. As reported above, chip and signature cards work at some automated kiosks. I myself was in London in March and personally used the card in the chip readers at unattended ticket machines in several tube stations.

Perhaps there's a limit to how much you can charge that way though, akin to the (generally $25) limit in the U.S. below which a signature isn't required?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
As posted here, it appears that United and Chase are preparing to release redesigned Explorer and Club cards to accommodate the chip.

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by javac0d34
Just called Chase. They said all PP MCs are being converted over to Visa Signature.
I just called to ask about this. My rep said I could switch to Visa now, but that they were not discontinuing the MasterCard product and he though the EMV chip might come to the MasterCard in a couple of months.

I decided to wait because I didn't feel like changing my saved credit card numbers everywhere at the moment.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Finally have an EMV-enabled business UC Visa

Mine arrived via UPS today. Here's what it looks like compared to its predecessor:

I had phoned Chase yet again about this on Friday after one of their PR reps told me that they'd started issuing EMV versions of all of United's cards, business included, last week. The rep said that was not the case and didn't have even a vague timetable for EMV support--and then yesterday, a different Chase rep called me, apologized for the error, and asked if it was OK to send an EMV card to the address on file.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Mine arrived via UPS today. Here's what it looks like compared to its predecessor:

[snip]

I had phoned Chase yet again about this on Friday after one of their PR reps told me that they'd started issuing EMV versions of all of United's cards, business included, last week. The rep said that was not the case and didn't have even a vague timetable for EMV support--and then yesterday, a different Chase rep called me, apologized for the error, and asked if it was OK to send an EMV card to the address on file.
Looks good. Can you confirm that the card is still metal?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Looks good. Can you confirm that the card is still metal?
As far as I can tell--it looks the same, weighs the same, feels the same, makes the same noise when you tap it against a desk.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:11 am

I have an old Mileage Plus Awards card with a nice credit limit. I can't even remember the annual fee. I want the Explorer card with 50,000 bonus miles currently offered for $3,000 in spend in first three months. Is it better to sign up for a new card and then cancel my existing card, or should I convert my card to the Explorer?

Also, do Club passes you get with the card expire every year or can you save them up until you need them?

*Just realized I'm in a Club card thread, can a mod move to somewhere appropriate?

Last edited by zitsky; Apr 29, 2015 at 9:13 am Reason: Wrong thread
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by zitsky
I have an old Mileage Plus Awards card with a nice credit limit. I can't even remember the annual fee. I want the Explorer card with 50,000 bonus miles currently offered for $3,000 in spend in first three months. Is it better to sign up for a new card and then cancel my existing card, or should I convert my card to the Explorer?

Also, do Club passes you get with the card expire every year or can you save them up until you need them?

*Just realized I'm in a Club card thread, can a mod move to somewhere appropriate?
The Club Passes have an expiration date. The ones I just received expire 31 July 2016. However, I just canceled the Explorer card since I recently got the Club card. I will have some international travel coming up, as well as to HI, so I will have more chances of using the UC, especially in LHR, NRT, and MEL. For this reason, the Club card is the better value for me for the next 2 years or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.