Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Failed. My email request was denied because they regret to tell me no United cards from Chase feature chips at this time.

I'm angry!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Micp3208
Failed. My email request was denied because they regret to tell me no United cards from Chase feature chips at this time.

I'm angry!
So pick up the phone...
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I see where Delta airlines card are all chipped in their advertisements. So United as always had to follow Delta, and get the chip cards out. Just wish they were chip and pin and not chip and signature.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I tried again, via phone, but nope, no chip for MasterCard Presidential Plus cards. They claim it isn't even an option! I told them I read anecdotal things saying it exists, and they said impossible!

Maybe I'll cal back!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:38 pm

Just called Chase to see if they'd reissue my Presidential Plus MasterCard with a chip. No dice. The agent said at this point the chips are only available for Visa cards. So I tried HUACA . . . and got the same agent. Awkward.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by salesna
Just called Chase to see if they'd reissue my Presidential Plus MasterCard with a chip. No dice. The agent said at this point the chips are only available for Visa cards. So I tried HUACA . . . and got the same agent. Awkward.
I tried HUACA on Chase once and got "well as the previous agent told you..."
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Buuuuuussssted!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I was asked for specific international travel plans as others were, and as a result I was quickly approved. 1-2 week wait. Only disappointment is that they're sending the cards regular mail, rather than FedEx. Given that the number isn't changing, that seems like a security risk.

While I know chip and PIN isn't an option at present, is the technology in the card the same, and it's just the Chase infrastructure that will have to change? In other words, are these cards chip-and-PIN-ready? Or will we have to request replacements again in a year or two when chip and PIN is finally rolled out?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Yes Chase takes some really detailed notes!

"Customer was asking about Chase shopping"
2nd Agent: Didn't you ask about that a week ago?
Me: Yes but the agent last time was clueless and obviously gave me the wrong answers.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
EMV card requested, non-EMV card delivered

What I thought was my replacement, chip-and-signature card arrived today--but when I opened the envelope, I saw it looked 100 percent like my current card, with no visible chip in sight. Whoops!

I called up Chase, and the rep I spoke to was apologetic and puzzled, as her system was showing an EMV card had been sent out. I mentioned that I'm departing for Spain in a week, and she said they'd get it express-shipped to me by Tuesday.

Then she mentioned that a friend of hers had just moved over to the shipping department, so she would send her a message asking her to make sure the right card gets sent. A moment later, the rep added that she got a confirmation that her friend had received the message, said the card would be processed today and might arrive as soon as Monday.

So if Chase does fix this that quickly, big ^ to them.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Same questions as someone asked 5 pages ago. Is the new EMV card the thick metal card like I have already or is it back to being a cheap thin crap card ?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eric Westby

While I know chip and PIN isn't an option at present, is the technology in the card the same, and it's just the Chase infrastructure that will have to change? In other words, are these cards chip-and-PIN-ready? Or will we have to request replacements again in a year or two when chip and PIN is finally rolled out?
Chase as well as most large US banks have no plans to issue Chip & Pin cards anytime soon if ever. With Chip & Pin cards the pin is hard coded in the chip and cannot be changed without issuing a new card.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
With Chip & Pin cards the pin is hard coded in the chip and cannot be changed without issuing a new card.
This is the bit I hadn't seen before. Many thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:18 pm

Are you sure about your description? First, it sounds like your describing an offline PIN supported card. My understanding is that online-only PIN cards can have their PIN updated easily. In regards to cards with offline PIN support, I have one of those, and was told by the card provider that the PIN can be changed online, then an EMV transaction would need to be made, at which point the chip would be updated with the new PIN. Haven't tried this myself.

... With Chip & Pin cards the pin is hard coded in the chip and cannot be changed without issuing a new card.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:45 pm

Chase as well as most large US banks have no plans to issue Chip & Pin cards anytime soon if ever. With Chip & Pin cards the pin is hard coded in the chip and cannot be changed without issuing a new card.
This is not how chip and pin works. The chip is basically a mini computer with a small amount of memory, it can be rewritten. In Europe you can change your pin at any ATM or even online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.