Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by AggieTraveler
Chase announced at an investor conference last year that they plan to start offering chip & pin cards. Of course, they did say it would start later that year (2014), and that's obviously passed already. However, I certainly wouldn't say they have no plans to issue them.
Earlier this year (2015) Chase said that after customer feedback on initial testing, they've delayed their plans for Chip and PIN.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:44 pm

For my Chase UA Explorer, I had called and requested a chip card, was mailed a non-chip card, called Chase and asked if in fact they aren't sending chip cards and the previous rep was mistaken, and was told that no, chip cards are being sent, I should have received a chip card, and that she will send out another card that (hopefully) will have the chip. Let's see what happens.

Originally Posted by bdelancy
Seems to depend on which rep you get when you call. I just called and was told I would receive my new chip card in 7-10 business days.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My Marriott Chase card has had a chip (no PIN) for a year. I am on my 5th United Chase card (all of them hacked) in less then a year and they still will not send me a chip card.

I really don't get what the US banks are doing. Chase told me they are moving to all chip cards but without PIN. I guess I need to open an account with a European bank... The US banks are completely insane - I can't understand why this is taking so long (new cards will still work in old readers until they are replaced).
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I called in and confirmed that the cards that are available with EMV are the Explorer and the Club card - no love for the old Select card that I have
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I thought I'd try my luck with the @ChaseSupport Twitter account--taking your problem to the brand's Twitter account is the new HUACA, right?--and got no further there. They were sympathetic, apologized and said that while "the United cards do not have the EMV Chip version yet," they would submit a complaint on my behalf (not sure to whom) and put in an internal request to get a chip-and-signature card. I suppose that ensures an EMV card will arrive while I'm in Spain.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I thought I'd try my luck with the @ChaseSupport Twitter account--taking your problem to the brand's Twitter account is the new HUACA, right?--and got no further there. They were sympathetic, apologized and said that while "the United cards do not have the EMV Chip version yet," they would submit a complaint on my behalf (not sure to whom) and put in an internal request to get a chip-and-signature card. I suppose that ensures an EMV card will arrive while I'm in Spain.
This is contrary to what I heard from the rep over the phone yesterday. HUACA (phone or web) seem to get different results each time?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Earlier this year (2015) Chase said that after customer feedback on initial testing, they've delayed their plans for Chip and PIN.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Every time I have made a similar complaint Chase offers to switch me to a Non United Airlines Branded card which they offer such as Marriott, Hyatt, JP Morgan.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bdelancy
Seems to depend on which rep you get when you call. I just called and was told I would receive my new chip card in 7-10 business days.
Now I guess the question is, is it worth calling Chase back and saying I know you are issuing these cards, why can't I have one...

It doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble if I get a rep who says no again.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by chewyinla
Now I guess the question is, is it worth calling Chase back and saying I know you are issuing these cards, why can't I have one...

It doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble if I get a rep who says no again.
I called yesterday after seeing this thread, told them I was going overseas for an extended period of time in the upcoming months and that the country I was going to took almost exclusively chipped cards. The service rep put up no fight, confirmed my identity, mailing address, and then said I could expect the card in 7-10 business days. I have the Explorer card.

After she confirmed all of that she asked me where I was travelling so she could flag my card. I politely declined saying that my plans were not completely confirmed yet and I would just do it later. She didn't have any problem with that.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rodmanlama
I called yesterday after seeing this thread, told them I was going overseas for an extended period of time in the upcoming months and that the country I was going to took almost exclusively chipped cards. The service rep put up no fight, confirmed my identity, mailing address, and then said I could expect the card in 7-10 business days. I have the Explorer card.

After she confirmed all of that she asked me where I was travelling so she could flag my card. I politely declined saying that my plans were not completely confirmed yet and I would just do it later. She didn't have any problem with that.
In other words you just wanted the chip card
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Baze
In other words you just wanted the chip card
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that in my post above ... No Intl travel booked for foreseeable future.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I requested one on the 14th.. I was granted an Explorer with Chip.. Hmm still did not receve one. I guess the Business Days are really 7-10 Business Days..
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I requested one on the 14th.. I was granted an Explorer with Chip.. Hmm still did not receve one. I guess the Business Days are really 7-10 Business Days..
I ordered one on the 13th still have not received mine. I am thinking of going to my bank M&T and get a chip & pin card. If I don't get it today.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Today Chase gave a new story! I was told that all of the UA Mastercard branded cards are planned to be converted to Visa in April without exception. There will new no more United co-branded Mastercard by Chase is what they said. This sounds similar to what Intercontinental Hotels did recently with Chase by force swapping all their cards to a single new logo.

They went on to say that during April everyone will be issued an EMV Chip & Signature replacement card. The agents have been told to avoid issuing any new cards just to get a chip and to make everyone wait until April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.