Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
                  Originally Posted by channa
                  Funny how AA was able to change plans rather quickly after people complained -- in less than a month's time.
                  American only changed the meal windows down from 1,000 miles to 900 miles and put warm nuts back on flights longer than two hours. The reversals were only minor in detail. The catering is still the same as before the reversals. The first reversals were on DCA/IAD-MIA as too much paid customers complained about receiving Dougie's basket of delights than meal service. One can only hope Parker and Co. receive enough complaints about the quality AND quantity of the post 9/1 meal services to switch catering back to pre 9/1 American catering. Parker and Co. can talk about the new Dreamliners, which BTW look fantastic, and new flatbeds in business, albeit they had no input in the design, but degrading the soft products matters. Only Delta seems to care about trying to improve their soft product at the expense of devaluing Skymiles.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:11 pm
                  Suspended

"First See (and taste), Then Believe".
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
                  And, more importantly WHAT ABOUT THE WINE? We can bring our own food, but wine can't be self catered. Bring back a decent selection of interesting wine, please!

Note: I say interesting, not expensive. The world is awash in good, decent reds and whites and rose.
                  Amen ^.
                  Fix. The. Wine.

Then,
                  Fix. The. Coffee.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
                  After the "million dollar investment" last fall, I am dubiously skeptical about what exactly UA means by "reinventing premium dining." But the willingness of some people to accept the thinking that UA made a snap decision based on January bookings is just classic FT silliness.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:21 pm

Don't expect much there yet - the release says new menus for PS are later this year.

And they are sorely needed.

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
                  Fantastic news! I just emailed 1KVoice a few days ago wondering about when they were going to finally implement these changes and they responded with a "we appreciate your feedback" email.

Flying PS on 2/2 and 2/4..now really looking forward to it.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
                  Originally Posted by TWA Guy
                  Can't wait for IAD-DEN on 2/1!
                  Originally Posted by channa
                  The other loss I see is afternoon flights in this scenario:

800 to 1,499 miles: Full meal service including 2 entrée choices on most flights departing between 5:00am and 8:00pm. Lunch service will consist of a choice of a protein salad served with soup or premium sandwich paired with a side salad, and dinner service will consist of 2 hot entrée choices served with a side salad. On flights departing between 1:30pm and 3:59pm, and all flights departing after 8:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.
                  My read of it is that a 2:00 PM IAD-DEN will no longer get a meal, but get a snack basket instead. Is that correct?
                  As channa notes - IAD-DEN is 48 mi short of the 3 meal option, and would also get a meal mid-afternoon instead of a snack box. Wonder if this might be an exception route named at some point? So close and yet so far! Still should be an improved meal choice regardless. ^
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver
                  I don't understand why it says there will "continue" to be a vegetarian option. There is almost never a vegetarian option. Sometimes you can cobble something together, but it's pretty rare there's actually a meatless option domestically.

I wouldn't even mind the salad minus the meat if they would have anything in the world other than ranch dressing.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:39 pm
                  Suspended
                  Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
                  Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
                  Amen ^.
                  Fix. The. Wine.

Then,
                  Fix. The. Coffee.
                  ^

Amen! I'd also say improve the premium alcohol selection all-around. Dewar's, Jim Beam, and Jack Daniel's just KILL me every time. A nice single malt and a better blended Scotch and better bourbon would really impress. But I'd still improve the wine and coffee first, since I know more people drink those.

Still, nice move, United. I've been reasonably pleased with UA in F/B/BF/GF when compared to AA and DL, so I look forward to the coming improvements that might continue to make UA my fave among the US carriers.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:32 pm
                  A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
                  Amen ^.
                  Fix. The. Wine.

Then,
                  Fix. The. Coffee.
                  +2
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:44 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
                  Did I miss this? The snack tray on redeyes is always very appreciated, and most people seated around me enjoy it on those flights. Always surprises me, but they do. Are redeyes losing meal service?
                  Yes. From my read, the cold plate is gonzo, and redeyes get a snack basket.

200 to 799 miles: Light breakfast refreshments (such as scones, muffins, or pound cake) on morning flights or a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit on flights departing after 10:00am.
                  "selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit" = snack basket, right? These are short haul flights, 200-799 miles after all.

800 to 1,499 miles: Full meal service including 2 entrée choices on most flights departing between 5:00am and 8:00pm. Lunch service will consist of a choice of a protein salad served with soup or premium sandwich paired with a side salad, and dinner service will consist of a choice between a hot entrée served with a side salad or a protein salad with hot soup. On flights departing between 1:30pm and 3:59pm, and all flights departing after 8:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.
                  There's that "selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit" again. Snack basket. This covers some redeyes to Houston.

1,500 to 2,299 miles: Full meal service on flights departing between 5:00am and 9:00pm, including 3 entrée choices, with sorbet dessert and mint leaf on lunch flights, and gelato or ice cream with choice of toppings for dessert on dinner flights. On flights departing after 9:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.
                  There's that pesky snack basket. This covers the rest of the midcon redeyes.

Longer than 2,300 miles: Transcontinental and Hawaii flights will offer a full multi-course meal service with 3 entrée choices on flights departing before 9:00pm, a mid-flight snack selection of premium packaged snacks and fresh fruit on longer-haul Hawaii flights, and a pre-arrival refreshment or snack on all flights.
                  This one's a bit trickier, but it can still be dissected to food followed by snack basket on meal flights. Snack basket only after 9:00 PM. So, redeye transcons = snack basket; 10:00 PM IAD-SFO = snack basket.

That's why I don't think this is a cost add for the company. They've cut a lot of cold plates and have removed a ton of dishware flying around the country.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:50 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
                  Looking forward to the changes. And also, while the current cookies they have been using have been fine, I'm happy to see they are using Otis Spunkmeyer cookies, which I always have liked.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
                  The only loss that seems to come out of this is 8:01PM and later/redeye flights that lose the cold snack plate and instead get a snack basket only. This is in line with DL; for the redeyes I'm for the most part ok, however there are a lot of 8-9PM flights from IAH/ORD/DEN-West Coast that will definitely be losing meals. If you're connecting through any of these hubs from 50 seat markets/non-F cabin RJS (say STLIAH to IAHLAX), it is definitely a loss.
                  Not from DEN, but ORD/IAH-West coast, from my read, will mostly get meal service up until 9:00pm. Per UA Insider post on 1500-2299 miles gets full meal service on flights departing 5:00am - 9:00pm. ORD - west coast, and IAH, except LAX/SAN, are 1500+ miles (IAH-SFO, for example, per Great Circle Mapper is 1635 miles). This will be a huge improvement - the one choice of a snack plate, always seemingly with prosciutto, is terrible. At least if there's only one option, make it something that is a little more popular, like chicken. Which wouldn't even help my wife, who is vegetarian, and could never eat anything (and when asked for a snack box from Y, almost always charged for).
                  I've done a lot of ORD - SFO at ~8:00pm, so having a full meal, with an actual choice, will be a major improvement. 8:00pm flights ex-ORD never had a "meal" so they are definitely not losing.

Originally Posted by andrewwm
                  Lunch (currently and future) always offers a salad option. The protein part of it is separate from the rest of the salad and placed on the salad by the FA. You can simply ask them not to plate the protein.
                  Yup - this is what my wife normally does.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
                  From the USAToday article and the UA press release, it sounds like plenty. French toast soufflé and steel-cut oatmeal at breakfast, along with the soups and salads (Strawberry Fields) at lunch. I'm also happy to hear there's a dedicated veg entree at dinner as that hasn't always been the case.

I agree about the last part, however, I believe it was always supposed to be the case.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:16 pm
                  Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
                  Ok, so sounds like my flight from ORD -> LAX in May just went from SNACK to a FULL Dinner flight! Before, the 7PM was the cut off time. Anything after that got a snack service.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
                  Doing EWR-HNL Feb 2; Looking forward to trying!
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
                  [*]Longer than 2,300 miles: Transcontinental and Hawaii flights will offer a full multi-course meal service with 3 entrée choices on flights departing before 9:00pm, a mid-flight snack selection of premium packaged snacks and fresh fruit on longer-haul Hawaii flights, and a pre-arrival refreshment or snack on all flights.
                  Hmm, so HNL-EWR (departing 9:25 p.m., 4962 miles) gets no food service to start, a mid-flight selection of premium packaged snacks and fresh fruit, and a pre-arrival refreshment or snack?

Is that a service downgrade? It's too bad it's not scheduled at 8:45 p.m. or 9:00 p.m.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
                  Originally Posted by horse glasses
                  I don't understand why it says there will "continue" to be a vegetarian option. There is almost never a vegetarian option. Sometimes you can cobble something together, but it's pretty rare there's actually a meatless option domestically.

I wouldn't even mind the salad minus the meat if they would have anything in the world other than ranch dressing.
                  ^+1.

United First and vegetarian are two words that don't go together anymore unfortunately. Usually it's chicken paired with chicken and occasionally some other meat product out of ORD.

Will be interesting if true, but most likely I'd still go with AA which has Had a vegetarian offering on every flight ...lunch and dinner...that I can pre-order and guarantee since the U.S. merger (o the concept and convenience for F buying passengers).

At least the press release on the flyer talk home page indicates that they are now aspiring to "restaurant-quality" as opposed to previous goal of "institutional-quality." That sounds like a plus.

If any reports on them truly offering a vegetarian option that won't be gone once they pass through the GS/1K upgrades before getting to the F fare buying lowlifes, I would love to hear them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.