Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's second class first class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by fastair
Lol, how did I know that within a day of me posting, you would be quoting me? It's nice to have adoring fans! Really, Inhumane treatment? Really, revolting food? Really, fraudulent biz practices. I do appreciate your humor.

And I've flown premium intl long haul other than UA. LH and AA. It was AA that I experienced food poisoning symptoms on the 3rd leg of a circuitous award flight. Figuring it was 8 hours after my 1st AA meal but 16 after what I thought was bad ceviche in a restaurant, I gave AA the benefit of the doubt. Are you trying to tell me that it was AA's food instead? Now I don't feel so bad for projectile vomiting across their gate room for 30 min. You just erased the guilt ive been carrying for 5 years
My I-Robot was forced to travel in checked luggage and was thus inhumanly treated. No compensation was offered. I, on the other hand, had champagne served at the wrong temperature, and received 666 miles for inhumane reatment. My spouse also prefers I don't travel in GF, I suspect that feedback has made it back to ZuA too.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'm curious as to what airline actually cooks, over an open flame, meals onboard to request?
Over an open flame? No one does and everyone is aware why. That is not a serious comment.

But should I tell you about how CX asks me how I want my eggs fresh cooked for breakfast?

Other than a few extremely expensive uber-suites on a few select carriers, the space, the technologies, and the costs are all pretty competitive. No one in the sub $15k/direction is pampering above anyone else. Delivery differs, but the complaints you have aren't impacted much by delivery, but by technologies and space, and again, they are all on the same generation of what each carrier allocates to each of those.
If you flew some of the competition, you would find that simply is not true.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I didn't know there were no slippers in F on HKG flights. Undoubtedly, he will not pay for UA International F again.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Funny, but they have them when i want them.
Only to Tokyo. And it has been that way for at least a decade on United.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
You do realize CX, SQ, QR, EK, EY, LH and LX have no problems serving steak rare?
Well, at least medium rare.

Side point (but not gonna create a separate post about it only to have it mergers as subsequent post) UA had 3 cabins, CO, had 2. UA wanted to differentiate a 3rd premium cabin (sure, no a380 suite) while CO wanted only 2 cabins. UA won, at least for the time being. Perhaps the lack of differentiation is a compromise. I think a compromise will doom the 3rd cabin in the long term analysis.
COdbaUA is a two-class of service airline. They just inherited some three-class of service aircraft in a merger. GF has not been expanded one iota since the merger and is about to become extinct. CO just doesn't want to spend the money to pull out what is already there.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
The steak in the JL F picture looks like a lower quality of steak than the CX F . CX F looks like new strip or ribeye.
CX steaks are pretty darn good.

Originally Posted by BearX220
That ought to matter to United Airlines, anyway, even if some of UA's most forgiving customers think the OP's views baseless. In the final analysis the customer, not the company, decides what's important.
Not with this company. United DOES NOT CARE. Period.

There aren't GF paying passengers willing to fly UA to interest United. Even this passenger was an upgrade.

Originally Posted by why fly
But I dont imagine the new A350 will have FIRST so the problem is going to be solved soon enough.
Not a chance, but it will hopefully have a better C cabin.

Originally Posted by StingWest
Agree! It's all about the personal space, and that seat is great to sleep in. Actually, I think the food in both BF and GF is fine, but I understand that's a personal judgement. It seems that the fish dishes re generally better than the steak.
I won't eat fish on an airplane. Spoils far too easily.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Many people that pay for UA J with extreme frequency (i.e. GS) do so for the ability to upgrade to GF.
Except discounted P fares are not upgradeable except with a huge surcharge.

Since UA doesn't want to have a competitive GF product, UA might as well dump it and continue its decline to mediocrity and below.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by gnaget
If you pre-grill a steak briefly at high temperature then you can get the right surface texture. Then you heat in an oven at the correct temp and duration then you get medium rare. And UA was able to do this about 10 years ago.

I even do this with chicken breasts at home (the objective being just at the limit of well done). Grill quickly at high heat and then finish it in the oven.
This is what they used to do for me not only for the beef, but also at a time when they served lamb chops. They had no issues cooking them both a little bit more if it was too rare.

Another note, no airline has an open grill - can you imagine (!!)? I would never...and have never...paid for GF since the merger. I'll take LH, EK, NH, BA or SQ in paid F.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Really, Inhumane treatment? Really, revolting food? Really, fraudulent biz practices. I do appreciate your humor.
As for the inhuman (my word, not "inhumane", which you used, perhaps fittingly) treatment, revolting food and fraudulent business practices, these are all a matter of public record. UA didn't rack up all those DOT complaints because of their awesome service. They weren't hauled into court to hear judges call them on their consumer fraud because they were operating in an above board manner. Photographic evidence of the revolting food has been repeatedly posted on this thread.

Treating these as "humor" could be one of the reasons for UA's dead last ranking for consumer satisfaction. And maybe even those DOT complaints. And the declining traffic numbers. And repeated bludgeoning in the press by outraged passengers. It's just conjecture, of course, but it's worth a thought.

And I've flown premium intl long haul other than UA. LH and AA. It was AA that I experienced food poisoning symptoms on the 3rd leg [...]. Are you trying to tell me that it was AA's food instead? Now I don't feel so bad for projectile vomiting across their gate room for 30 min.
The additional detail helps here. While violently ill, you remained in a public area, emitting contaminated bodily fluids for 30 minutes. Had I been there, I might have called for medics to help you and so that you would stop emitting bodily fluids in a public area. While I sympathize with you plight, I would think twice about remaining in a crowded public area under such circumstances.

My points were two: First, you seem to confuse food poisoning and illness caused by food contamination. This distinction is likely too subtle for most people, but given your lengthy discourse on food preparation technology and its impact on in-flight food safety, I thought it might be helpful to point out this distinction. It is key to food safety when handling pre-cooked food.

Second, you ought to reserve judgment about other airlines until you've experienced them. You said you had not, which would help explain why you were unaware of the vastly better service ("pampering", if you like) available in the "sub $15K" price range on so many other airlines. In the absence of first hand experience, one might also go on reports from others, many of them posted here. But that's another issue.

I've also been ill from airline food, so I can sympathize. Seeing photos of that awful meal UA serves ex ICN, I'm reminded of how I was unable to eat for 10 hours after doing nothing more than seeing and smelling that food.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I have a slightly different view. Yes, every week there is one of these post about how bad UA international F is. Yes, the OP could have read these reports. But I feel his comments are valuable. :-: It clarifies that nothing has changed. And I feel he raises legitimate issues. He basically had a paid F ticket. He was not able to have a single glass of champagne, because UA only stocked one bottle. I didn't know there were no slippers in F on HKG flights. Undoubtedly, he will not pay for UA International F again.
Seriously - UA can't afford to stock more than one bottle of the good stuff for GF? That's really cheap.

Originally Posted by StingWest
Agree! It's all about the personal space, and that seat is great to sleep in. Actually, I think the food in both BF and GF is fine, but I understand that's a personal judgement. It seems that the fish dishes re generally better than the steak.
Agree with all of the above. While the food is fine, the wine up front continues to be barely drinkable swill. Flew UA to Europe and OS back, both in business, and the difference was amazing. Austrian offers a wide selection of good wine, and they actually board the wines listed on the menu.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Look forward to getting a better business class product overall if first ever disappears.
How does that figure? All the expense being directed at the GF results in shortchanging the BF product? In what universe?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Now of course, if UA served me a coach meal in GF, I'd be pretty disappointed and unhappy with the service, but it wouldn't stop me from booking with UA again if I needed to get somewhere and UA was the most convenient option. If you really want luxury, go book a cruise. Airline flights don't have to be perfect, they just have to be good enough.
I think it must be a very small cohort of customers that book international first class but don't care much about the food, the drink, the IFE, the service, on-time performance / cancellation rate, etc., etc. I know they exist because I read their posts in this forum but the majority have higher expectations.

Originally Posted by matrixwalker
If I had to vote between arriving on time versus waiting for the meals to be catered, I'd vote to leave on time and most pax would do so as well, reasonable flight length obviously.
UA's longhaul reliability record is pretty woeful -- it's not really an either-or choice.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2015-a.html
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Or their employer has a contract dictating UAL even for paid F (?). Could ual have a corporate contract with adequate discount so that the ual F is significantly cheaper than LH f for sfo/fra? Do such discounts exist?

Thus maybe OP contact who paid for ua C had a contract with discount, so the paid C actually cost the equivalent of discounted Y (eg S T fare) for more typical pax who book on .Bomb.

I'm just curious what would prompt a passenger to pay GF on ual instead of any intl competitor. I thought Schedule, then pondered ual/LH having similar times for sfo/fra. But perhaps ual schedule for sfo/syd is much better than on qantas. Or sfo/Shanghai is better than what CX can do.

if someone is paying GF, then they don't really need MP or a loyalty program!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
CX steaks are pretty darn good.
They certainly do a good job with presentation, too.

Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by gaobest
I'm just curious what would prompt a passenger to pay GF on ual instead of any intl competitor.
GS

Except discounted P fares are not upgradeable except with a huge surcharge.
Exactly my point. If you remove GF you are going to have a lot of GS paying for P/Z rather than D/C/J.

Since UA doesn't want to have a competitive GF product, UA might as well dump it and continue its decline to mediocrity and below.
The 2-cabin B'F' experience (from checkin to landing) out of EWR confirms UA has already passed mediocrity.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 2015 at 10:11 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Who wants to lie flat when you have them bringing around the Beluga Caviar and Dom Perignon nonstop? Oh, and treating you like a human being.
Not sure if this is sarcastic, but personally I'd MUCH rather have a comfortable lay-flat seat than food that will (a) taste better on the ground and (b) in no way justifies the premium over lower cabins.

...of course, why can't we have both like SQ, NH, etc
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
...of course, why can't we have both like SQ, NH, etc
Or else a price level that is appropriate for the service level provided.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

As mentioned before, Global First is really a Business First product. What UA call Business First, well Business at best these days. Just because marketing people call it something doesn't make it so.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Exactly my point. If you remove GF you are going to have a lot of GS paying for P/Z rather than D/C/J.
Meh... while there are undoubtedly a small handful of GS who will upfare their seat in order to burn a GPU, in my experience, most are buying D/C/J because of the timeframe on which they book, or the flexibility they require. Not because they just want to give UA more money when P/Z is available.

If that's the subset that UA is working to cater to, well... they're in worse financial shape than I thought. That teeny-tiny subset of "whales" is the equivalent of finding a hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk, and then trying to build a business around the assumption that you can find more. In fact, if the best business case mgmt can make for GF is that "it gives our GS members something to upgrade to", then that's even worse than the mind-bogglingly stupid strategy they have already dragged the product down with!

No sale. GF is doomed because mgmt. doesn't see value in the product. Its continued presence is not to "save" the business of some miniscule slice of the GS crowd. (Don't take my word for it... just ask Rainey!)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by halls120
Seriously - UA can't afford to stock more than one bottle of the good stuff for GF? That's really cheap.
Personally, I think it's a joke to call anything UA serves "the good stuff."
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
let's face it, UA's primary objective is to get me to my destination and they do a decently good job of doing that.
I agree. If I am flying in Y.

If I am paying extra for C or F, I expect more for my money than what I expect in Y, which is just getting me to my destination.

I've flown UA's GlobalFirst product and the hardware is terrific, it lays flat, it's a full suite, it's got good IFE, it's pretty darn comfortable. Am I concerned about the meal? not really, a couple years back on my first time flying GF, I managed to eat too much and had a pretty bad stomach-ache the rest of the flight. Not fun, though the FA did let me jog up and down the 747 business class stairway to help alleviate some of it. So I try to keep my eating to a minimum in the air since I'll basically be in a sedentary state the whole time. As for service, I find UA's service good enough. Yeah, I know they're better products out there, but I like UA's schedule and I'm familiar with UA's service and UA gets me where I need to go, UA's not the best, but they're good enough.
And there is better--in fact far better--for the same money. There are very few routes with GF where there is not competition that is far better than UA, so why would I pay the same money to fly UA?

If you really want luxury, go book a cruise. Airline flights don't have to be perfect, they just have to be good enough. If I had to vote between arriving on time versus waiting for the meals to be catered, I'd vote to leave on time and most pax would do so as well, reasonable flight length obviously.
Not in international first. For the fare premium, a passenger has every right to expect far more. Good enough is not first class. Frankly, it's not even business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.