Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There's a place in your united.com profile where you can enable "Expert Mode".
Yes, I have that turned on. My question is whether I'll have to go through the search process every time or there is a shorter way to see the number of R seats available.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I'm using this space to tell you something else. If you don't clear before the online check-in, at online check-in look if you are offered a TOD. I think it means day of departure upgrade offer. Sometimes, the cost is interesting. If you take it, they will return to you the miles and the copay. For myself, I have found that I would rather pay the TOD so that I'm guaranteed the upgrade and don't have to wait until boarding. And I can get back the miles to use on another trip.
Interesting. Was not aware of this. Thank you!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IlanB
Very newbie follow up question - Where is the best place to check on R>0 seats? Through united.com and look for that specific flight every time?
Originally Posted by IlanB
Yes, I have that turned on. My question is whether I'll have to go through the search process every time or there is a shorter way to see the number of R seats available.

Interesting. Was not aware of this. Thank you!

Expert mode is the best way to see inventories and get a sense of odds.

You can also bookmark these links to search without logging in. However, you do need to have an active cookie with ua dot com, e.g., you need to have recently accessed the home page.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/flight-search/book-a-flight/results/rev?f=SFO&t=TLV&d=2018-09-25&tt=1&sc=7&px=1&taxng=1&idx=1&ut=mua
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/flight-search/book-a-flight/results/rev?f=LHR&t=SFO&d=2018-10-07&tt=1&sc=7&px=1&taxng=1&idx=1&ut=mua
If you see a green arrow (and more than '1 ticket available'), call!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by fumje
Expert mode is the best way to see inventories and get a sense of odds.

You can also bookmark these links to search without logging in. However, you do need to have an active cookie with ua dot com, e.g., you need to have recently accessed the home page.

If you see a green arrow (and more than '1 ticket available'), call!
Yep, these are the links I'm using. Thank you, you are awesome
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I'm booked on Y fare on SFO-IAD UA727 for late August which I'm hoping for a Y-fare instant upgrade/CPU. Seat map's showing 11 empty seats in First. Expert mode shows the following:

F9 A0 JN9 C1 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN 5Q9 V9 W9 S9 T2 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0
In a couple of weeks I'll hit Gold, and in a month and a half I'll hit Platinum. Is it just a matter of the flight being too far ahead for any space to be released? Or am I SOL?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMBResona
I'm booked on Y fare on SFO-IAD UA727 for late August which I'm hoping for a Y-fare instant upgrade/CPU. Seat map's showing 11 empty seats in First. Expert mode shows the following:

F9 A0 JN9 C1 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN 5Q9 V9 W9 S9 T2 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0
In a couple of weeks I'll hit Gold, and in a month and a half I'll hit Platinum. Is it just a matter of the flight being too far ahead for any space to be released? Or am I SOL?
It's a route that they think they can sell, so they are not releasing much (to put it lightly!) discount inventory. As the flight gets closer, if their sales are below what they expect, they may open up the lower fare buckets. Your best shot will be to just keep watching for PN to open, and then to go online or call as soon as you see that. If it goes to the gate, you may be far down on the visible list, but if you catch PN open you can still upgrade instantly.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, SQ*G, Marriott Plat
UA 804 NRT-IAD on 20 April

Any thoughts on chances of R opening up (and me clearing ) by Friday's UA804 NRT-IAD flight? 1K traveling on a low W fare... It looks like 29/40 booked in J and 7/8 in F (bookings, not the seat map). On the seat map Y+ looks 40-50% empty (which I know doesn't necessarily mean much, but could be an indication of lower "competition" from other elites?) United.com loads below.... Thanks in advance!

F1 FN1 A1 ON1 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z6 ZN6 P5 PN1 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fumje
It's a route that they think they can sell, so they are not releasing much (to put it lightly!) discount inventory. As the flight gets closer, if their sales are below what they expect, they may open up the lower fare buckets. Your best shot will be to just keep watching for PN to open, and then to go online or call as soon as you see that. If it goes to the gate, you may be far down on the visible list, but if you catch PN open you can still upgrade instantly.
Thanks for the help. Sorry, I'm just utterly puzzled by the complexity of the whole ordeal.

I'm a little confused with regards to waitlist eligibility. I did some further searching, and it states elsewhere that only GS/1K on Y/B/M get put on the waitlist if not cleared at booking, and that Platinum and below needed to have an RN bucket to open up at booking.

Is RN capacity something that can open up like PN? Unfortunately I won't be 1K until November at the earliest, so it won't help me for this flight

If all fails, at least there's the CPU @T-72 hours...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm a little confused with regards to waitlist eligibility..
Y/B upgrades don't waitlist until the CPU window. So you should check for RN regularly.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dcmesser
Any thoughts on chances of R opening up (and me clearing ) by Friday's UA804 NRT-IAD flight? 1K traveling on a low W fare... It looks like 29/40 booked in J and 7/8 in F (bookings, not the seat map). On the seat map Y+ looks 40-50% empty (which I know doesn't necessarily mean much, but could be an indication of lower "competition" from other elites?) United.com loads below.... Thanks in advance!

F1 FN1 A1 ON1 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z6 ZN6 P5 PN1 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

I think that PN1 means that there's no GS traveling alone that is booked on your flight that is applying an upgrade instrument because they would have already upgraded. I had misread your statement of the occupancy of E+ as occupancy of the whole Economy. The passengers who are in Economy have lower status (Silver) or no status on UA. For Economy +, there may be some other 1Ks but most probably more passengers that are Platinum or lower or no status with the E+ subscription. I would say that you have have good chances of finding yourself in Polaris Business. Good luck!

Hopefully, the TOD offered to other passengers is not too tempting.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that PN1 means that there's no GS traveling alone that is booked on your flight that is applying an upgrade instrument because they would have already upgraded.
Correct (assuming that the waitlist is clearing properly, anyway . While a GS party of 2 or more will still be ahead of any 1K, I would feel much better about PN1 than PN0 for this reason.

BTW, OP: There's no such thing as a "low W" fare -- W is W. Whether or not you got a good deal on your W fare is irrelevant to the clearance order. The tiebreaker among 1Ks on W fares at the gate will be time of check-in, so if you don't clear in advance, make sure to check in as soon as practical. Note that passengers on connecting itineraries have an inherent advantage over nonstop passengers because their check-in window opens earlier.

Good luck.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the help. Sorry, I'm just utterly puzzled by the complexity of the whole ordeal.

I'm a little confused with regards to waitlist eligibility. I did some further searching, and it states elsewhere that only GS/1K on Y/B/M get put on the waitlist if not cleared at booking, and that Platinum and below needed to have an RN bucket to open up at booking.

Is RN capacity something that can open up like PN? Unfortunately I won't be 1K until November at the earliest, so it won't help me for this flight

If all fails, at least there's the CPU @T-72 hours...
Originally Posted by Kacee
Y/B upgrades don't waitlist until the CPU window. So you should check for RN regularly.
Good point, I forgot that Platinum – Silver are reported to clear into RN. I am actually not completely convinced of that, but I don't have any definitive contrary experiences (once saw Gold clear from Y and jump list when I thought RN was closed, but I did not verify). So I would check for PN and attempt to get it processed if it opens. PN is more likely to open and will do so no later than RN, but RN can open in advance of CPU window. When you are eligible for the instant up., your reservation will show you a link (website) or button (app).

(And if you do wind up seeing PN>0 but RN0, please report whether or not you get your upgrade through!)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan

BTW, OP: There's no such thing as a "low W" fare -- W is W. Whether or not you got a good deal on your W fare is irrelevant to the clearance order. The tiebreaker among 1Ks on W fares at the gate will be time of check-in, so if you don't clear in advance, make sure to check in as soon as practical. Note that passengers on connecting itineraries have an inherent advantage over nonstop passengers because their check-in window opens earlier.
Maybe the reference to low W fare was that it is not a V or Q fare or a higher fare class that would put other 1Ks ahead on the upgrade list. Very good point about reminding passengers waitlisted to upgrade to check-in as soon as the system allows.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm booked on Y fare on SFO-IAD UA727 for late August which I'm hoping for a Y-fare...upgrade.. Seat map's showing 11 empty seats in First...am I SOL?
11 seats on a 777 vs 11 seats on a 319 is a big difference in estimating chances. It's a popular route w/ lots of higher status passengers and for those who buy First outright. I'd prepare mentally to be in economy and be pleasantly surprised if F came through. Works for me out of Hawaii. Upgrades used to be very easy, then I started getting dwelling too much on chances. Once I started assuming I'd be in coach more often than I actually was, the better travel has become since the loss of the almost guaranteed upgrades.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, SQ*G, Marriott Plat

Maybe the reference to low W fare was that it is not a V or Q fare or a higher fare class that would put other 1Ks ahead on the upgrade list. Very good point about reminding passengers waitlisted to upgrade to check-in as soon as the system allows.
Yes, this is what I meant - low as in “lowest on the totem pole” not low as in $$$ (I wish).

Thanks for your advice, both!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm assuming from inventory that you're flying on Sunday/Monday/Thursday... the F9 A1 is a strong signal they want to sell the front cabin, which has gone very well for UA on SFO/WAS these days. The Gold/Plantinum instant upgrades only clear to R(N), which makes them slightly worse than an RPU request. I would not like my odds here (especially if a 320), but hard to tell.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
11 seats on a 777 vs 11 seats on a 319 is a big difference in estimating chances
Would that 319s had 11 seats

I'm sure the SFO-BWI folks do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.