FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:00 am
JMBResona

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fumje
It's a route that they think they can sell, so they are not releasing much (to put it lightly!) discount inventory. As the flight gets closer, if their sales are below what they expect, they may open up the lower fare buckets. Your best shot will be to just keep watching for PN to open, and then to go online or call as soon as you see that. If it goes to the gate, you may be far down on the visible list, but if you catch PN open you can still upgrade instantly.
Thanks for the help. Sorry, I'm just utterly puzzled by the complexity of the whole ordeal.

I'm a little confused with regards to waitlist eligibility. I did some further searching, and it states elsewhere that only GS/1K on Y/B/M get put on the waitlist if not cleared at booking, and that Platinum and below needed to have an RN bucket to open up at booking.

Is RN capacity something that can open up like PN? Unfortunately I won't be 1K until November at the earliest, so it won't help me for this flight

If all fails, at least there's the CPU @T-72 hours...