Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sexykitten7
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chromedome00
We booked tickets (full fare) on United IAD - BRU as one leg of our journey. I have zero status on United, but I expected that paying full price (I admit they were really cheap though)
If the tickets were "really cheap" you did not pay "full fare."

I suspect we are getting move for someone with status.
Oh, how I wish I could just go onto the seat map and move you! I must not know the right people at United. [/s]. (No, this is not happening).

Is this common with United?
Yes, extremely so.

Even paying on full price on United.com is no guarantee of your seat assignment in Polaris?
You didn't "[pay] full price," nor should that matter one iota, but, no, it's not.

I get that maybe they can't guarantee a seat in all circumstances, but if I pay for my ticket and pick a seat, it shouldn't be any different then a seat at a sports event, concert, or theater.
No, because the ticket for a sports event, concert, or theater is a contract for that seat. The ticket for UA Polaris is a contract for that cabin. As UA does not charge for seat reservations in Polaris, there are no damages incurred when they move you.

If they gave me a valid reason, I could be forgiving.
They will not be able to give you a reason, particularly when you've rejected the most likely reason out of hand -- equipment changes. (Not necessarily passenger-visible equipment changes). If you'd like to call it "bad back-end IT," feel free (although the UA app is much nicer than the DL app, IMO, so it's not bad IT throughout the entire company).

Unfortunately I don't have many international carriers to choose from.
Sure you do. You have plenty of options. Some of them require connections. That doesn't mean there's not an option.

Is there a written clause that says they have to give a reason for a seat change?
No, of course not.

Maybe they want to free up more desirable seats to sell for more money?
No; for most passengers who would pay the kind of prices they want for last-minute travel -- actual full fare -- the specific seat available doesn't matter nearly as much as the schedule.

The relevant thread has over 300 posts: Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

And here is the applicable rule in the Contract of Carriage, which you agreed to when you purchased the ticket: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/con...ge.html#rule-4 (note item D):
Seat assignments, regardless of class of service, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. UA reserves the right to reseat a Passenger for any reason...
I'm sympathetic -- I was livid when AA took away my exit row seat a few weeks ago, and then the agents lied to my face and told me I'd never had one -- but you're off-base here. I've had my seat assignment on UA change also, more than once. It's not about status, or trying to move passengers around for more money, or anything else. It might be about needing to seat a passenger with a minor child (less likely in A) or needing access to a bassinet; it might be an accommodation needed for someone who called the accessibility desk; it might be a Federal Air Marshal (in which case, they couldn't tell you anyway). The most likely thing, though, is that there have been multiple equipment swaps, and UA does a really poor job of putting people back into similar seats.
SPN Lifer, ironmanjt, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
We booked tickets (full fare)
Even paying on full price
....what is it? "Full" fare/price or "really cheap?" FYI "full" fare to Europe is usually over $10,000...

That said, IAD-BRU has been on the 777-300ER for a long time now, so I doubt this is due to a plane change. I've had 1K or GS status with United for over 20 years, and never once have they agreed to move someone for me. The only people that they might do this for are Federal Air Marshalls (uncommon international) or maybe Tom the guy with 20,000,000+ lifetime UA miles

They just don't unseat people for no reason, and sounds awful this keeps happening to you. Plane change would be the most common, but that's unlikely since this route has had the same plane since way before you booked.

That said: I've done over 500 transatlantic flights with United since 2010, and never once have they changed my seat except for an aircraft change. Something strange is going on with your reservation. I wish I had an answer, but don't. Unfortunately, United like most other companies doesn't have great customer service anymore...it's a sign of the times we live in.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If the tickets were "really cheap" you did not pay "full fare."

No; for most passengers who would pay the kind of prices they want for last-minute travel -- actual full fare -- the specific seat available doesn't matter nearly as much as the schedule.

The relevant thread has over 300 posts: Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

And here is the applicable rule in the Contract of Carriage, which you agreed to when you purchased the ticket: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/con...ge.html#rule-4 (note item D):

I'm sympathetic -- I was livid when AA took away my exit row seat a few weeks ago, and then the agents lied to my face and told me I'd never had one -- but you're off-base here. I've had my seat assignment on UA change also, more than once. It's not about status, or trying to move passengers around for more money, or anything else. It might be about needing to seat a passenger with a minor child (less likely in A) or needing access to a bassinet; it might be an accommodation needed for someone who called the accessibility desk; it might be a Federal Air Marshal (in which case, they couldn't tell you anyway). The most likely thing, though, is that there have been multiple equipment swaps, and UA does a really poor job of putting people back into similar seats.
I didn't see the thread you referenced or I would have posted there. I booked on United in advance, but regardless of your opinion I paid full fare - no discounts, specials, miles, points - booked 3 tickets expected to still have my seats. As I mentioned above - Delta Diamond/Platinum for years, 1M miles, etc - not my first rodeo, but the first time i have been moved 5-6 times with no reason why and no attempt to keep our party together or anything else.

I see now this is a known issue - I don't agree that I am off base - changed once for a valid reason I get, but changed multiple times - come on. I won't fly AA due to being bumped for a pilot one time - no choice. So in terms of US air carriers, I guess i have to stick with Delta and pay a premium.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I get that maybe they can't guarantee a seat in all circumstances, but if I pay for my ticket and pick a seat, it shouldn't be any different then a seat at a sports event, concert, or theater. Yeah, there are a lot of expensive seats up front, but I bought early so I wouldn't get stuck behind a column or off in the corner….Is there a written clause that says they have to give a reason for a seat change? As we never had one, they are violating their policy….Maybe they want to free up more desirable seats to sell for more money?.
You buy transportation from an airline, not a specific seat. This is true of all airlines and it is spelled out in the contract of carriage you agree to when you purchase tickets from any airline. At a sporting event, you are actually buying a specific seat. Your example is not relevant. Your seat choice is preference which usually holds unless an aircraft is swapped. Seats do not change 1:1 necessarily. No, United does not move people to give them to status passengers and, no, they do not move them to make better seats available for other buyers. I can understand your annoyance, but no need to accuse UA of targeting you and your seats on purpose.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't see the thread you referenced or I would have posted there.
No worries -- the only way that I can find threads here is that I know what they're called already.

I booked on United in advance, but regardless of your opinion I paid full fare - no discounts, specials, miles, points
It's not an opinion. You did not book "full fare," Full fare is a term of art in the industry which refers to an unrestricted, generally fully-refundable ticket that can be used on any flight with that airline provided that there's a seat available. Most full fare tickets are very expensive -- multiples of what you likely paid.

booked 3 tickets expected to still have my seats. As I mentioned above - Delta Diamond/Platinum for years, 1M miles, etc - not my first rodeo, but the first time i have been moved 5-6 times with no reason why and no attempt to keep our party together or anything else.
I'm not saying you should be happy with the service you've received. I'm just saying that your reasoning comes off as something akin to "let those lousy cheapskate upgraders move around, I paid for my ticket!" In reality, UA treats people who have paid cash and people who have upgraded more-or-less equally. You could argue that's more-or-less equally poorly, but it's still more-or-less equally.

I see now this is a known issue - I don't agree that I am off base - changed once for a valid reason I get, but changed multiple times - come on.
One they start swapping a flight around, it often seems to get additional attention... like one disruption is a magnet for the next or something.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Having United change someone's seats so often is rare. Very rare. It can happen occasionally though for various reasons as described in several replies in this thread.
Maybe you were so unlucky on this flight, that you had multiple of those scenarios occur?

....but regardless of your opinion I paid full fare - no discounts, specials, miles, points
It's a definition issue. Your fare class was already discounted, and it wasn't a full fare ticket class.
It's something like this:
  • J Full Fare Business
  • C Discount Business
  • D Discount Business
  • Z Deep Discount Business
  • P Deep Discount Business

Furthermore, the service you receive (meals, seat selection, etc.) is identical whether you paid for the ticket (and fare class is also irrelevant) or used award miles, or an upgrade instrument.
And AFAIAC, that is also exactly how it ought to be.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
re: the term "full price"-I gotta assume here he just meant paid business, and didn't secure business through an upgrade instrument or otherwise. I think "full price" in the modern area to many who aren't familiar with J/C/F etc just means they paid for the product outright.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You buy transportation from an airline, not a specific seat. This is true of all airlines and it is spelled out in the contract of carriage you agree to when you purchase tickets from any airline. At a sporting event, you are actually buying a specific seat. Your example is not relevant. Your seat choice is preference which usually holds unless an aircraft is swapped. Seats do not change 1:1 necessarily. No, United does not move people to give them to status passengers and, no, they do not move them to make better seats available for other buyers. I can understand your annoyance, but no need to accuse UA of targeting you and your seats on purpose.
I did mention further down in the thread that I see that some of the seats I or my family members were moved to are still open now that I have been moved back - and that it may be a glitch in the system as a rep mentioned.

You are entitled to your opinion - I have been flying for 20 years - I have never experienced this. So yes, my initial impulse is to make an assumption when the CSR has no knowledge of anything.

And yes, my example is not 100% relevant - but if there is no plan to honor the seat you pick, then let us choose SWA style and line up early. Why not make everyone enter Thunderdome then?

I posted because I was annoyed - I know there is nothing anyone can do here, and I know I was using my own theories as there are no facts shared by United. But no one here can prove that my seats were not taken by someone with status. Yeah, flame me about proving a negative, i know.

And yes - full price - no miles, credits, coupons, specials - advertised cash price on United.com. I said it was cheap because it was a fraction of Delta and others - maybe it was mispriced. But it was United's advertised fare.

Thanks for the constructive comments and commiseration for those that replied. Will see if my seats change again tomorrow.

EDIT: I just reviewed the random seat assignment thread - It is not a sticky (maybe it should be) so I started this new thread. I see this issue has been going on for years. I guess I will have to cautious flying United if I care about the seat I select.
hurnik likes this.

Last edited by chromedome00; Sep 25, 2023 at 6:09 pm Reason: adding info
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:12 pm

What’s being described is extremely rare.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by jackk763
23 pages of people dating back years until a few days ago - many with no equipment swap. It doesn't look that rare - and it has happened to us 5 times alreay - 4 times outbound, 1 time on the return - only the international flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jackk763
Agreed.

23 pages of people dating back years until a few days ago - many with no equipment swap.
Random seat changes are less common than they used to be but they do happen. What's extremely unusual is to have it happen multiple times on a single reservation. I can't recall any reports, ever, of random seat changes 5-6 times on a single UA reservation.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:35 pm

I just wanted to report my experiences so far with United Polaris - and we are not even off the ground yet. I am Delta Platinum and past Diamond Medallion - I thought I knew how things worked....

We booked tickets (full fare) on United IAD - BRU as one leg of our journey. I have zero status on United, but I expected that paying full price (I admit they were really cheap though) and picking my seats in May would mean something. Apparently not. 3 of us on the same itinerary all picked window seats in a row on the A side. We have been moved around many times. Each time we discover we call United. One person says they can't do anything, often times their supervisor says no way "operations did this we can't change it" - but if you call back and get a helpful person, they will fix it again.

We got to the point that we were checking our seats every day - yes I know first world problems - but I don't want to sit near the bathroom or galley. The seats are not broken or out of service. I suspect we are getting move for someone with status. I have never experienced a seat change on Delta after I booked my seat. Is this common with United? Even paying on full price on United.com is no guarantee of your seat assignment in Polaris?

Really frustrated and half the people we talk to don't seem to care. Had to vent and share my experience. We have had our seats moved 5 times since May - and not because of equipment changes.
required seating for deadheading crew? I think they can only sit in certain seats
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Regardless of what you paid or think you paid, yes, this is unfortunately an issue on UA with some frequency.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
…- I have been flying for 20 years - I have never experienced this….
Another irrelevant fact / I know people who have been flying 30 years that are clueless.

The reality is the vast majority of United customers end up in the seats they’ve chosen. If you think your version of how UA works is reality, there are other choices. No point in supporting an airline that you think is moving everyone around all the time.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:39 pm

23 pages of people dating back years until a few days ago - many with no equipment swap. It doesn't look that rare - and it has happened to us 5 times alreay - 4 times outbound, 1 time on the return - only the international flights.
Ever changing seat assignments is not part of what one usually experiences on UA. Bad food? Yes. Surly FAs? Yes. But you are so exceptionally unlucky on this itinerary that you should probably buy a lottery ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.