Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sexykitten7
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wingnuthead
Have taken 2 RTs in the past 4 weeks, and have a couple more coming up, all domestic. We really don't care where we sit on shortish domestic flights, but in 3 out of 4 of the most recent flights, even though I selected seats when ticketing, as we get closer to departure, the seat assignments are gone, and we are all randomly around the cabin
Were there any equipment changes?
Originally Posted by cfischer
not for this 1K. Unless there is an AC change (and not 738 to 73M or 739 ,,, like 739 to 772!) I have not seen random seat re-assignments
See multiple reports upthread, including acknowledgment by 1kvoice that there was a known IT issue. It was likely tied to PP application. Has not happened my last two reservations.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by rowenb
In many of the anecdotes shared on the Facebook group, it looks as though the application of PlusPoints was the trigger for the undesired and uncommunicated seat change. That could explain why it was 1K-specific.
It's not limited to PP upgrades. Had travel with my wife in paid F switched on a flight on 4/1. We were in 3A and 4A in a 787 were moved to 1L and 8L. Checked all of my other flights as a precaution and the only other flight where my seat was changed was also paid F, and also from 3A to 8L.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
United just changed my seat for my flight in a couple of days from one I had selected to one I hadn’t. 1K and had PPs applied. Went from 8F to 1A in a 753.

Say Vandelay, Kacee and jackk763 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United just changed my seat for my flight in a couple of days from one I had selected to one I hadn’t. 1K and had PPs applied. Went from 8F to 1A in a 753.

Nice upgrade, enjoy the extra legroom and stuff....
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K - million miler
I have now encountered seat changes in exit row 21. UA1693 on 4/27 from isle seat to window - and again now on upcoming UA2610 4/27 in exit row 21 from isle to window. Called 1k desk and was told that this could be for organizational reasons and it could be an air marshal. Have not experienced this in over 20 years - and I ended up in a middle seat.

There is something awfully wrong and the 1k desk is helpless or is feeding me nonsense (maybe both). Not sure what to do - the two isle seats in row 21 are of course taken.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by juergenor
I have now encountered seat changes in exit row 21. UA1693 on 4/27 from isle seat to window - and again now on upcoming UA2610 4/27 in exit row 21 from isle to window. Called 1k desk and was told that this could be for organizational reasons and it could be an air marshal. Have not experienced this in over 20 years - and I ended up in a middle seat.

There is something awfully wrong and the 1k desk is helpless or is feeding me nonsense (maybe both). Not sure what to do - the two isle seats in row 21 are of course taken.
Some combo of both possibly. The 1K desk is generally not useless but they absolutely cannot boot somebody else out of a seat if it's occupied just to re-instate your seat. There are legitimate reasons for you to lose a seat assignment and FAM is one of them. As for feeding you nonsense, this is absolutely possible. The 1K agent likely has zero clue why you lost your seat (even possibly for FAM) and will tell you what they think you want to hear to get you off the phone because at the end of the day, again, nothing they can do but assign you a seat that's showing available on the seat map.

Maybe a quick equipment swap happened and everybody lost their seat. I've seen this happen many times, even like-for-like equipment. It depends on how it gets coded in the system.

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Well, just happened to me again, second time in past 48 hours. Flying tomorrow SAV to EWR, originally selected seats vanished 2 days ago, I reselected, then those vanished and were randomly assigned yet again during check in, but I was at least able to find 2 together.

Could have been eqpt change, 73X to A32X, but I didn't pay attention originally.....
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by wingnuthead
Well, just happened to me again, second time in past 48 hours. Flying tomorrow SAV to EWR, originally selected seats vanished 2 days ago, I reselected, then those vanished and were randomly assigned yet again during check in, but I was at least able to find 2 together.

Could have been eqpt change, 73X to A32X, but I didn't pay attention originally.....
At least you now know that it has nothing to do with your status. It's just an IT problem-although I have seen some pretty good evidence of "shenanigans" in the past.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Some combo of both possibly. The 1K desk is generally not useless but they absolutely cannot boot somebody else out of a seat if it's occupied just to re-instate your seat. There are legitimate reasons for you to lose a seat assignment and FAM is one of them. As for feeding you nonsense, this is absolutely possible. The 1K agent likely has zero clue why you lost your seat (even possibly for FAM) and will tell you what they think you want to hear to get you off the phone because at the end of the day, again, nothing they can do but assign you a seat that's showing available on the seat map.

Maybe a quick equipment swap happened and everybody lost their seat. I've seen this happen many times, even like-for-like equipment. It depends on how it gets coded in the system.

-RM
I have not experienced this in 15+ years while getting my 1 million miles status - but now it happened in one week twice. Makes me wonder what is going on. The FAM statement was nonsense since I sat in the exit row in the middle seat and observed the „lucky ones“ in the isle seat.

I suspect that there is a system glitch and will follow up with the UA 1k desk once I am back home per the advice of the 1k agent. I have three more trips booked in the near future and are now monitoring my seat assignments every day - which makes me feel like an idiot having to do this.
DCFlyer0306 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 1:01 pm

I did fill out teh feedback section and this is the response I got:

"I'm so very sorry that your seat assignment was different from the one you originally requested. We have been having problems with our seat map lately and I thought our IT department had resolved the issue. I'm so sorry that wasn't the case. I do know they are completely aware of the situation and are working hard to fix it as it has been quite a problem."

Unacceptable and rediculous that United is aware of this problem and is not able to fix it.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by juergenor
I did fill out teh feedback section and this is the response I got:

"I'm so very sorry that your seat assignment was different from the one you originally requested. We have been having problems with our seat map lately and I thought our IT department had resolved the issue. I'm so sorry that wasn't the case. I do know they are completely aware of the situation and are working hard to fix it as it has been quite a problem."

Unacceptable and rediculous that United is aware of this problem and is not able to fix it.
Unfortunately, that is the current UA at its finest. As well as one of the reasons UA FTers spend a good portion of their days checking on their reservations and seat selections.

David
Old May 8, 2023, 10:36 am

On 1/2/23, I booked a flight for my wife and I, MSY-IAD-ZRH-IAD-MSY, paid J, same PNR, all on UA metal, both 1Ks. On both TATL segments, we had seats 8A & 9A. Outbound flights are this week.

This past Friday, 5/5, when I checked our itinerary, all was fine for all flights. However, on Sunday , 5/7, when I went to print a copy of our intinerary, I saw that my wife did not have any seats assigned for any of the 4 segments. 😤🤬 When I called in, the rep could only restore 3 of 4 previously assigned seats. The agent couldn’t restore the 8A seat on the IAD-ZRH segment because someone else had already claimed it. The remaining 6 available seats were not particularly desirable, but we had to choose one of them. When I asked how this could happen, especially since we had our original seats for a little over 4 months and the flight is in 4 days, the agent said, “I don’t know” and she apologized. At least I didn’t get the usual yada, yada, seats aren’t guaranteed, possible FAM, blah, blah, stuff.

How in the hell does this kind of stuff happen? In similar situations, United should restore ALL original seat assignments and reassign the new passenger. They can give that passenger the same excuse, since it is apparently an acceptable one, “Sorry, I don’t know the reason why your seat was changed.“

A really strange situation. I empathize with all the previous posters who experienced something similar.
SamirD and Kacee like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Is row 8 a bassinet row on you long-haul flight? Wouldn’t explain loss of all seat assignments, though.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
On 1/2/23, I booked a flight for my wife and I, MSY-IAD-ZRH-IAD-MSY, paid J, same PNR, all on UA metal, both 1Ks. On both TATL segments, we had seats 8A & 9A. Outbound flights are this week.

This past Friday, 5/5, when I checked our itinerary, all was fine for all flights. However, on Sunday , 5/7, when I went to print a copy of our intinerary, I saw that my wife did not have any seats assigned for any of the 4 segments. 😤🤬 When I called in, the rep could only restore 3 of 4 previously assigned seats. The agent couldn’t restore the 8A seat on the IAD-ZRH segment because someone else had already claimed it. The remaining 6 available seats were not particularly desirable, but we had to choose one of them. When I asked how this could happen, especially since we had our original seats for a little over 4 months and the flight is in 4 days, the agent said, “I don’t know” and she apologized. At least I didn’t get the usual yada, yada, seats aren’t guaranteed, possible FAM, blah, blah, stuff.

How in the hell does this kind of stuff happen? In similar situations, United should restore ALL original seat assignments and reassign the new passenger. They can give that passenger the same excuse, since it is apparently an acceptable one, “Sorry, I don’t know the reason why your seat was changed.“

A really strange situation. I empathize with all the previous posters who experienced something similar.
It reminds me of when my wife and I were separated on the same PNR within 72 hours of our flight. She was moved to the back of the cabin and I kept my original seat. I called and kvetched about it but was told that they had no idea what happened. There was no equipment swap to explain it, and I suspected shenanigans because my new seat-mate looked like a surfer dude in board shorts and flops. I never asked for comp or anything for my situation but I was really incensed by the evasiveness.

I agree that they should give your wife her original seat back and move the interloper elsewhere. You might try escalating your complaint to the C-Suite. See here:

https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...ited-airlines/

Please come back and tell us if you get anywhere. This is one of the really aggravating things that I hate about UA.
FLYMSY, SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 8, 2023 at 11:42 am
Old May 8, 2023, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Is row 8 a bassinet row on you long-haul flight? Wouldn’t explain loss of all seat assignments, though.
No, it’s not a bassinet row. Polaris cabin on a 763.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.