Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sexykitten7
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
You are correct, I do not know for certain but there have been a number of instances in the past couple of weeks for many 1K/GS flyers of random seat changes, including separating people on the same reservation....
Yes, saw the two reports, but the explanation from UA still seemed to be an aircraft change. The other possibility is the seat sweep is being run unnecessarily.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, saw the two reports, but the explanation from UA still seemed to be an aircraft change. The other possibility is the seat sweep is being run unnecessarily.
My involuntary seat reassignment was absolutely not an aircraft swap. The aircraft was, and still is, a 320. The email from 1kvoice admitted it was a problem with UA's systems ("We were informed that there is an error in the seat engine programming after we starting receiving emails from our 1K members") - no mention of an aircraft swap.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 2:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
My involuntary seat reassignment was absolutely not an aircraft swap. The aircraft was, and still is, a 320. ...
In the case of A320, UA only one seat configuration, so that eliminates one common cause, but there have been report cases of tail number changes or fat finger changes that generate seat sweeps. It takes some effort to dig thru the data to used the history to see what may have happen in between. If the seating sweep was unnecessary, hopeful that was been corrected. Curious what would be 1K specific. But as usual, we have very limited information to tried figure out the cause -- which does not change it happened, when it shouldn't.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
I just had this same issue with 3 of my next 4 trips. Went from aisle E+ to back of the plane window or middle on all three of the four flights.

I immediately called the 1K desk and unfortunately my best option was to take E+ middle seats for 2 of the 3 and a bulkhead aisle for the third flight.

I was told there was a recent “system glitch” that caused these problems. I wasn’t happy and expressed that to the agent. I was given a $250 future flight credit.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jtm1631
I just had this same issue with 3 of my next 4 trips. Went from aisle E+ to back of the plane window or middle on all three of the four flights.

I immediately called the 1K desk and unfortunately my best option was to take E+ middle seats for 2 of the 3 and a bulkhead aisle for the third flight.

I was told there was a recent “system glitch” that caused these problems. I wasn’t happy and expressed that to the agent. I was given a $250 future flight credit.
lol I got 3500 miles. But that was for only 1 flight ;-)
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Curious what would be 1K specific. But as usual, we have very limited information to tried figure out the cause -- which does not change it happened, when it shouldn't.
In many of the anecdotes shared on the Facebook group, it looks as though the application of PlusPoints was the trigger for the undesired and uncommunicated seat change. That could explain why it was 1K-specific.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by rowenb
In many of the anecdotes shared on the Facebook group, it looks as though the application of PlusPoints was the trigger for the undesired and uncommunicated seat change. That could explain why it was 1K-specific.
I had applied PP.

Perhaps this is a new MP "feature." Apply PlusPoints, forfeit E+. An added dimension to the upgrade waitlist calculus. How badly do want that upgrade?
DCFlyer0306 likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 31, 2023 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I had applied PP.
Me too
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by rowenb
That explains why it wasn’t all of my flights. It indeed was only the flights I applied PlusPoints to.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
UA randomly reassigning seats after I've already selected

Well, this is my first year as a non entity on UA in almost 15 years, no status whatsoever. We've mostly been using whatever airline has the best fare and schedule, but as EWR is our closest major airport, UA is often the most convenient. Not sure if this is because I'm a plebe MP now, or if this is an altogether other issue.

Have taken 2 RTs in the past 4 weeks, and have a couple more coming up, all domestic. We really don't care where we sit on shortish domestic flights, but in 3 out of 4 of the most recent flights, even though I selected seats when ticketing, as we get closer to departure, the seat assignments are gone, and we are all randomly around the cabin

I just looked again, flying SAV to EWR on tuesday, and again, we are scattered about the cabin, after having been together when I booked it.

I have the mostly useless Quest card, and was hoping that with Group 2, at least I would get some respect from the dystopian computers that runs the airline, but alas, no.

Any thoughts on this, or is this just the way it is now that I am a pond scum MP member
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: UA1K
1Ks have been reporting this happening to them, too, if that’s any comfort
chavala likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
It happens all the time and is extremely frustrating for pax traveling together.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 23, 2023 at 10:47 am Reason: clean after merge; thanks for the link
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:43 am

Status on UA these days means very little, and for some strange reason, UA can’t seem to keep from screwing around with seating.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Well, its stuff like this that make me not regret going mercenary and no longer caring about FF programs. The upside is just no longer there to care about loyalty
zombietooth likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
1Ks have been reporting this happening to them, too, if that’s any comfort
not for this 1K. Unless there is an AC change (and not 738 to 73M or 739 ,,, like 739 to 772!) I have not seen random seat re-assignments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.