Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sexykitten7
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 6:31 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
In a change that happened while I was sleeping and wouldn't have noticed except for the text messages:

At 2:32 AM (Eastern):
We had to change the aircraft type or seating configuration for your May 19th flight to Madrid (MAD). Because of the switch you have a new seat assignment. We've done our best to keep your original preference and you can also check for a new seat using the link below.

Traveler: [lincolnjkc]
Confirmation Number: [my pnr]

Old Seat: abX (United Economy Plus Exit Window)
New Seat cdX (United Economy Plus Exit Window)

Check for a new seat: [short deeplink]
Then at 7:35 AM:
We had to change the aircraft type or seating configuration for your May 19th flight to Madrid (MAD). Because of the switch you have a new seat assignment. We've done our best to keep your original preference and you can also check for a new seat using the link below.

Traveler: [lincolnjkc]
Confirmation Number: [my pnr]

Old Seat: cdX (United Economy Plus Exit Window)
New Seat abX (United Economy Plus Exit Window)

Check for a new seat: [different short deeplink]
So it seems for about 5 hours the AC type was different (772?) and then it got swung back to a 764 and mercifully UA's automation managed to keep me in the same seat throughout (now if only PP would clear... not holding out much hope but J and Y ae both showing as full with me as #4 on the list and ~6 J seats unassigned... but that's a different thread)
Old May 18, 2023, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth

Please come back and tell us if you get anywhere. This is one of the really aggravating things that I hate about UA.
I received a phone call and we came to a very satisfactory resolution. Wife didn’t get her original seat back, but it was close enough. I felt it was great customer service. Before anyone asks: No compensation was involved (I didn’t ask, didn’t care), only a seat change. Was told that this type of situation was going to be looked into to try to prevent it in the future. Time will tell.

Last edited by FLYMSY; May 20, 2023 at 7:13 am Reason: Word correction - “going”
Old Jul 6, 2023, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got moved 1A to 1F on an A319 some time between evening before and midmorning day of (flight yesterday). Got notice from my phone's wallet that my seat had changed, but it was disconnected overnight so I'm not sure when exactly was I moved.

On board there is a couple taking up 1AB. Clearly someone is empowered to do these things. 🙄
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got my karma today for pointing out that seat assignments are never guaranteed.

im flying AA, not UA, but the exit row seat that I had at the start of the 40-minute security line turned into a E- middle when I got to the gate, 17 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Then, they lied to me about the reason, and then told me I’d never had an exit row seat in the first place. (??? I have my boarding pass in my hand, lady). They acted like they were doing me a huge favor by giving me an E- window instead, and since AA’s app is so inferior to UA’s, I wasn’t even able to pull up the seat map and try to improve my lot.

So, (a) it’s worse when it happens to you and (b) the grass isn’t greener.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Got my karma today for pointing out that seat assignments are never guaranteed.

im flying AA, not UA, but the exit row seat that I had at the start of the 40-minute security line turned into a E- middle when I got to the gate, 17 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Then, they lied to me about the reason, and then told me I’d never had an exit row seat in the first place. (??? I have my boarding pass in my hand, lady). They acted like they were doing me a huge favor by giving me an E- window instead, and since AA’s app is so inferior to UA’s, I wasn’t even able to pull up the seat map and try to improve my lot.

So, (a) it’s worse when it happens to you and (b) the grass isn’t greener.
Did you do a looksee to whom the seat went?

David
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Did you do a looksee to whom the seat went?
Guy traveling alone in his mid-thirties; didn’t seem to be an employee or anything. Maybe he was the person they moved to make room for somebody else trying to be seated together or something.

I was really angry, but then I thought back on this thread, and the one about the guy trying to reclaim his old seat for his wife, and thought, “this is what I get.”
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Never had this text before:

We had to change the aircraft type or seating configuration for your August 11 flight to El Paso (ELP). Because of the switch, you have a new seat assignment. We've done our best to keep your original preference and you can also check for a new seat using the link below.

Traveler: txaggiemiles
Confirmation number: XXXXXX

Old Seat: 12C (United Economy Plus Exit Aisle)
New Seat: 13C (United Economy Plus Exit Aisle)

Love this if it’s new and reliable!
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.

Last edited by txaggiemiles; Aug 9, 2023 at 7:54 pm
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I get this update all the time, on 752. It usually change to slimline closer to departure. Why not display 752 slimline seat map from the beginning? Most of them have now been retrofitted to slimline. So frustrating!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:16 am

My March 2024 flight EWR-AMS slightly changed departure time (maybe 15mins). Same planes just departure pushed.

I happened to check the seat map after accepting the departure time change and noticed that one of my two buddies were no longer sitting in the group... Hmmm texted them both and they sent screen shots showing their seats have not changed (booked in May 2023). However, one had not accepted the new departure time. Even though it still showed his same seat as soon as he accepted it moved him out to the seat next to his original one. This is why my seat map showed him moved.

He immediately picked his old seat so that we were back together again. I guess we will have to keep an eye on our seats until we fly next March...
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I get this update all the time, on 752. It usually change to slimline closer to departure. Why not display 752 slimline seat map from the beginning? Most of them have now been retrofitted to slimline. So frustrating!
If the slimline version has more seats, UA probably wants to show the version with fewer seats in case there’s a swap (my guess).
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Woke up this morning to two seat change emails for the same flight which tells me they did an equipment swap and then back to the original. I moved from 21F to 21A and then 21A to 21F again. Still an A320 for my flight.

-RM
Old Sep 14, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Woke up this morning to two seat change emails for the same flight which tells me they did an equipment swap and then back to the original. I moved from 21F to 21A and then 21A to 21F again. Still an A320 for my flight.

-RM
​​​​​​flightstats.com is pretty good about showing all of the history for a flight, including tail swaps, for flights in a 2-3 day window of today of you're curious... but I'd almost put money on it.
​​​
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
If the emails are standard now, that's great.

Though you got your original seat back, which is even better.

Nothing like getting moved from 1AB on one of the 2-4-2 777s and not finding out until you're in the UC that:
1. We weren't beside each other any more, and
2. One of us was in a middle seat between two strangers
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a random change on the outbound of a roundtrip with another, non-status, pax on the record. I lost my exit row seat and was moved to the bulkhead, while they remained in the original exit row seat. My original seat is now booked.

It's a short hop in a RJ so I can't imagine there were any intentional shenanigans, but still strange. No seat change notification.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was changed from 2B to 4E on a 738, splitting from my partner, shortly before departure from PHX. Went to the gate ready to complain about random UA seat changes, only to be told that 2B was inop. Amazingly, 4F was open, and GA was able to reassign my partner from 2A. The lucky guy who took 2A wound up flying next to an empty seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.