Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gambda
Hello,

I would like to clarify UA lounge access for my following upcoming flights. I'm an Air NZ Airpoints Elite which equates to SA Gold status

1. AKL - IAH - RDU. Ticketed by Air NZ. Flying J AKL - IAH on NZ metal and IAH - RDU in J on UA metal. From my research, I will have access to the UC lounge in IAH as I'm SA Gold on an international ticket connecting to a domestic UA flight ?

2. RDU - IAH - LAX. Ticketed by UA on UA metal flying First. Do I have UC lounge access in IAH cos of my SA Gold status even though the itinerary is all domestic US flights ?

3. LAX - AKL - SYD. Ticketed by Air NZ. Flying J LAX - AKL on NZ metal & PE AKL - SYD. Will that give me Polaris lounge access at LAX ? Or just the SA lounge in TBIT ?

Thanks
You get access to IAH United Club as NZ-awarded *G status departing on UA.
You get access RDU/IAH as NZ-awarded *G
You get Polaris Lounge access at LAX (and *A lounge). You can get from United gate to TBIT airside.

I assume you’re connecting in LA, but if youre not, no access on arrival from IAH, but Polaris Lounge (or * A lounge) on departure.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: NZ Elite
Thanks.

LAX is my final destination for the second flight so I realise I won't have access upon arrival from IAH.

Has anyone done the hike from Polaris lounge in T7 to TBIT ? I hear it takes a good 20 - 25 mins.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Has anyone done the hike from Polaris lounge in T7 to TBIT ? I hear it takes a good 20 - 25 mins.
If you want to stay inside security it is roughly a mile, some up and down.

Some discussion of the trek in
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
and
LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access
Old May 10, 2019, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I hear it takes a good 20 - 25 mins.
Only if you walk slow or get lost. It's usually 17 minutes for me.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
My favorite UC welcome sign. Naturally the UC agent at SAT couldn't have been nicer, asking passengers if they needed assistance with their flights, and overall being very cheery for 4:30am (when the Club opened).
That about sums up Customer Service on domestic US airlines

Originally Posted by voyageuse
Greetings to all, I would like to know if we will have United Club lounge access at EWR. This is an aeroplan business class reward redemption, on AC flight YUL-EWR connecting to UA flight EWR-LAX. I am confused as I believe UC lounge access is restricted to international flights, but in this case is YUL considered international or is it calculated only with the domestic portion on UA EWR- LAX. I have no statue nor *alliance gold. I am reaching out to this forum because most of you can certainly answer my question. Thank you with much appreciation!
Yes, you should have access to the following lounges :
  • YUL AC MLL
  • EWR AC MLL when you arrive
  • EWR United Clubs in United Terminal As & C
  • EWR Lufthansa Lounge in Terminal B
  • EWR SAS Lounge in Terminal B
Having been to all of these lounges, I would argue the Lufthansa lounge is the best of the bunch. Excellent food and beverage and decent facilities overall. The one thing to keep in mind is that you would need to re-clear security at Terminal B to access it (use the Business class lane which you'll find by walking past everything queueing at security). I would recommend leaving yourself at least 2 hours to explore it. If you don't care much about food, the lounge at Terminal C is adequate.

How are you returning from LAX? If you're flying business out of LAX or have Star Alliance Gold status with one of the airlines, I would highly recommend trying out the Star Alliance lounge at the TBIT terminal. It's got good food and drinks, 10 shower stalls, a roof top terrace with bar to name but a few perks. If you're interested, I'd recommend clearing security at TBIT then walking to the lounge. The distance from TBIT to Terminal 6/7 (where UA and AC take off from) is about 20-25 minutes airside so keep that in mind.

Thanks.

LAX is my final destination for the second flight so I realise I won't have access upon arrival from IAH.

Has anyone done the hike from Polaris lounge in T7 to TBIT ? I hear it takes a good 20 - 25 mins.
I've never been to any Polaris lounge but have spoken to colleagues who have. It's a very good lounge which offers restaurant style dining, good showers and other amenities. However, I have trekked from TBIT (to use the *A Lounge) to T7 to catch my UA flight and agree that it takes about 20-25 minutes. Basically there's a lot of walking and going up and down escalators and underground walkways. My recommendation would be to eat at the Polaris lounge, then head on over to the *A lounge after trekking there. You'll be a bit sweaty which is fine, you'll just use the shower facilities at the *A lounge to clean off. You can then enjoy a glass of DOM on the roof top terrace whilst watching the big birds take off! One final note, since the *A lounge is not a United Club lounge, you should have access to it flying J or flying any class of service with any *A airline like UA domestically.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 10, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
That about sums up Customer Service on domestic US airlines

Yes, you should have access to the following lounges :
  • YUL AC MLL
  • EWR AC MLL when you arrive
  • EWR United Clubs in United Terminal As & C
  • EWR Lufthansa Lounge in Terminal B
  • EWR SAS Lounge in Terminal B
Having been to all of these lounges, I would argue the Lufthansa lounge is the best of the bunch. Excellent food and beverage and decent facilities overall. The one thing to keep in mind is that you would need to re-clear security at Terminal B to access it (use the Business class lane which you'll find by walking past everything queueing at security). I would recommend leaving yourself at least 2 hours to explore it. If you don't care much about food, the lounge at Terminal C is adequate.

How are you returning from LAX? If you're flying business out of LAX or have Star Alliance Gold status with one of the airlines, I would highly recommend trying out the Star Alliance lounge at the TBIT terminal. It's got good food and drinks, 10 shower stalls, a roof top terrace with bar to name but a few perks.

James
J2simpso Wow! Thank you very much I truely appreciate the tremendous information you've provided!
In answering your question LAX is my final leg with United Airlines. We are spending the night at LAX and flying out the next day on a different ticket with Emirates to Dubai on the A380 in business class. We are have no status, and no Star Alliance Gold. Since we are flying J cabin (but on an award) would this scenario still be plausible? Accessing the Star Alliance Lounge in T-BIT LAX prior to going to the Emirates Lounge? I just love lounge hopping, I find it pleasant to view the decor and different offerings that are available from one lounge to another.
Did I understand you correctly that the star alliance lounge in TBIT has dom even for business class? If yes, then I shall have to go!!! I love that champagne! Discovered it last year when we flew in the 1st cabin to Bali on TG's A380, they had the DOM flowing, I do not like the Veuve Cliquot much, but DOM it is a perfect champagne! Once again I truely appreciate your informative reply! Thank you! Happy travels!
Old May 10, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
EK ticket does not grant access to *A lounge at TBIT.

the issue with many lounges at EWR is they are not connected airside, meaning you would have to reclear security.
​​
Old May 10, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
flying out the next day on a different ticket with Emirates to Dubai on the A380 in business class. We are have no status, and no Star Alliance Gold. Since we are flying J cabin (but on an award) would this scenario still be plausible? Accessing the Star Alliance Lounge in T-BIT LAX prior to going to the Emirates Lounge?
No. EK is not part of Star Alliance, so that wouldn't work.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
EK ticket does not grant access to *A lounge at TBIT.

the issue with many lounges at EWR is they are not connected airside, meaning you would have to reclear security.
​​
Repooc17, thank you. I was not thinking as I do know that EK is not part of *Alliance, I was just thrilled about the post about UA @ EWR, and not thinking straight. Sorry my bad.
But... and I do say but SQ and EVA are part of *alliance, on our return we are traveliing in business with Singapore airlines from SIN to TPE then onto Eva TPE ORD in business. Maybe I can access a *alliance lounge in SIN and in TPE along with SQ & BR lounges of course! Any thoughts if this would be plausible? Thanks again for your reply!
Old May 10, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
But I'm sure the EK lounge at LAX is more than adequate.

Maybe I can access a *alliance lounge in SIN and in TPE along with SQ & BR lounges of course! Any thoughts if this would be plausible?
The only other *A lounge at SIN is the TG lounge which is inferior to SQ's SKL. At TPE you can also access the SQ lounge, which you might consider because the BR lounges kind of suck.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by findark
findark thank you for your reply. The worst is that I know EK is not part of *alliance. I was simply too excited to learn of all the *lounges available to us @ EWR. Apologies.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
But I'm sure the EK lounge at LAX is more than adequate.

The only other *A lounge at SIN is the TG lounge which is inferior to SQ's SKL. At TPE you can also access the SQ lounge, which you might consider because the BR lounges kind of suck.
Kacee, Goodness thank you! I appreciate your knowledge and shall put it to good use. I will look up where the SQ lounge is in TPE, we can do a bit of lounge hopping there as the connection is a tough 7hrs! Wish I could have done a stopover at TPE to visit the city. Aeroplan award one way. Have a great weekend! Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

I love FT folks you're a generous and knowledgable bunch! Thanks to all!
Old May 10, 2019, 2:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Repooc17, thank you. I was not thinking as I do know that EK is not part of *Alliance, I was just thrilled about the post about UA @ EWR, and not thinking straight. Sorry, my bad. ...
Sorry to pour more coldwater on, but at EWR, you will only have access to the UCs, none of the partner lounges. (Maybe the weak AC MLL due to your AC J arrival flight)

The partner lounges requires being *G or departing EWR *A international Business/First. EWR-LAX does not qualify for *A partner lounge access BUT EWR-LAX does qualify for UC access as a premium transcon route.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sorry to pour more coldwater on, but at EWR, you will only have access to the UCs, none of the partner lounges. (Maybe the weak AC MLL due to your AC arrival flight)

The partner lounges requires being *G or departing EWR *A international Business/First. EWR-LAX does not qualify for *A partner lounge access BUT EWR-LAX does qualify for UC access as a premium transcon route.
WineCountryUA, thank you for providing me this information even though I am crying in my chair! ha! I rather know now than be told by the lounge dragon "scram you don't belong here" although in the politest manner I am sure! ha!
All I can say is this is mighty complex and I certainly am happy to have the help of FTalkers correctly coordinate my "lounging hops" otherwise such time wasted in traveling from one to another for no access in the end! Fiou! Thanks!

Last edited by voyageuse; May 10, 2019 at 5:31 pm Reason: answered my question.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Hi all - read the wiki but have a question (apologies if I missed reading something). I recently canceled my UA Club card and with it, obviously my UC membership. Flying US-Mexico and back in a few weeks and I know I have access headed to Mexico as it's an international itinerary and I am *G, but can anyone confirm I still have access on the way back home at IAH? I'll have a few hours before my connecting flight so obviously will want to use the lounge assuming I'm not restricted on an arriving intl' itinerary.

Second question - due to some work travel changes, I may start accruing status with Copa or Avianca the second half of this year. While I read the wiki re: other airline *G but crediting to UA MP, does anyone know the access rules if it were the opposite and I were to be flying and crediting to AV/CM (would not yet have status with them) but presented my UA *G card? I would think I should still be allowed entry as they would be international itineraries (so not trying to access on a solely domestic run) but would appreciate any insight.

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.