Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by GeP
Same if it was a 220 ticket, since then LH knows it was a paid fare upgraded (to I class), not booked as I class (as in award ticket).
Fair. I suppose it depends where the error is - an 016 ticket helps if it credits incorrectly, as MPSC can see the receipt and ticket history. If it doesn't credit at all, you're right it might be better for LH to be able to see that.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by findark
Fair. I suppose it depends where the error is - an 016 ticket helps if it credits incorrectly, as MPSC can see the receipt and ticket history. If it doesn't credit at all, you're right it might be better for LH to be able to see that.
Out of about 20 GPU upgrades C/D/J -> O on LH, all on 016-, I've just experienced the first credit error.

PQD was stuck in "Processing" for a while and eventually changed to "ineligible"
PQM came in correctly
RDM came in as if it were a 022 ticket (Base + 2X Base)
And since it was a "D" fare, 11x PQD would earn more

I think it has to do with the upgrades (BKK-FRA and return) both being cleared AT THE GATE JUST BEFORE BOARDING. Previously, all were cleared before getting to the airport.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I had the same, except it posted as the wrong fare class as well (M instead of E). My upgrade cleared in advance though. A quick call to MPSC got it manually adjusted; the agent was able to pull up my ticket to see that I had indeed purchased E class, so she added the missing PQD/RDM/PQM.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Out of about 20 GPU upgrades C/D/J -> O on LH, all on 016-, I've just experienced the first credit error.

PQD was stuck in "Processing" for a while and eventually changed to "ineligible"
PQM came in correctly
RDM came in as if it were a 022 ticket (Base + 2X Base)
And since it was a "D" fare, 11x PQD would earn more

I think it has to do with the upgrades (BKK-FRA and return) both being cleared AT THE GATE JUST BEFORE BOARDING. Previously, all were cleared before getting to the airport.
That's not unusual for upgrades to O. Happens every other flight for me. Easy fix. Send quick comment after 2 weeks when it shows ineligible to UA MP and they will correct it. If credited and just didn't catch the 016 ... that's a very simple fix since you don't need any documentation of any sorts

Originally Posted by ecoomer
Booked multi-segment flight

Outbound
1/242 DEN-EWR-MUC-BEG all UA metal except MUC-BEG

inbound
3/8
CDG-MUC-DEN LH metal UA codeshare
I tried to apply a gpu to MUC-DEN segment. Was denied for "wrong flight number"

Called 1k desk. Was told they had to assign an LH flight number. No big deal. Number assigned. Then applied gpu through website and cleared immediately Now my MUC-DEN segment no longer shows under my united res. The complete itinerary shows on Lufthansa website under LH booking code....

What happened to my UA booking?

Will i still get UA mp credit for MUC-DEN leg?

Guess maybe i should call 1k line again...
10th year as 1k but first time using an instrument to upgrade an LH leg

Not that it matters but all legs are 'Q' fare

Thx
Eric
DO NOT CALL. This is normal. The upgraded segment often disappears. It may later come back with 'I' class. All that matters is that is shows on the luftahansa site.You will still get credit as per 016 ticket ... if that does not work a simple email will fix it (see above)
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:34 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
So is the website tool fixed now?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Ericka
Well I'm curious myself. Might try to use it on ANA.

I have a feeing the ANA booking classes and LH booking classes got mixed up in the coding of the tool.
The booking classes do not correspond with one another. Pure speculation, but I'm trying to make sense out of an absurd situation.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:34 pm

Upgrade used on codeshare, didn't get mileage?

is that right?

My Itenerary:

ORD-FRA, Class A (United)
FRA-BSL, Class D (Lufthansa, DBA UA)
BSL-FRA, Class D (Lufthansa, Cityline)
**FRA-ORD, Class D (Duetsche Lufthansa AG) (Used a GPU to upgrade from Bus-First)

Full itinerary purchased with a united ticket number (starting with 016)

(Total ticket cost was ~6600)

The last flight, which was purchased as a United codeshare (operated by LH), I used a GPU to upgrade from D to O. In my account, the PQD is listed as "ineligible" and my award miles are based off, I think the actual trip miles. Based on my purchased fare ($6600 total), plus the originally purchased "D", (and my status, 1k) (though I'm totally new to this, so I may be missing some nuances), I was expecting something on the order of 30k-ish(+) total miles (regular miles, not PQM), whereas for that segment, I only got 13k - 4.3k base +8.6k bonus. Did something not go through correctly, or do I really not receive miles based on my actual purchased fare for upgraded flights?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ophelia
... or do I really not receive miles based on my actual purchased fare for upgraded flights?
You are eligible to receive miles based on your purchased fare but there have been reports of posting issues. If the miles don't properly post you will need to call the MileagePlus Service Center and have it corrected.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is a United ticket, should be easy to call MPSC and get it fixed. They can see the original ticket receipt.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ericka
bought a ticket today and upgraded C --> O using the tool no problems.

Originally Posted by Ophelia
is that right?

My Itenerary:

ORD-FRA, Class A (United)
FRA-BSL, Class D (Lufthansa, DBA UA)
BSL-FRA, Class D (Lufthansa, Cityline)
**FRA-ORD, Class D (Duetsche Lufthansa AG) (Used a GPU to upgrade from Bus-First)

Full itinerary purchased with a united ticket number (starting with 016)

(Total ticket cost was ~6600)

The last flight, which was purchased as a United codeshare (operated by LH), I used a GPU to upgrade from D to O. In my account, the PQD is listed as "ineligible" and my award miles are based off, I think the actual trip miles. Based on my purchased fare ($6600 total), plus the originally purchased "D", (and my status, 1k) (though I'm totally new to this, so I may be missing some nuances), I was expecting something on the order of 30k-ish(+) total miles (regular miles, not PQM), whereas for that segment, I only got 13k - 4.3k base +8.6k bonus. Did something not go through correctly, or do I really not receive miles based on my actual purchased fare for upgraded flights?
a simple Email will do. If the segment posted and just lost the 016 connection it is a super easy fix. A 1 line Email to MP will get it corrected.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:39 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
bought a ticket today and upgraded C --> O using the tool no problems.
Good to know. Thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
LAX - MUC on 2/24

With N=2 I=0 X=O

There's 7/8 seats in F, 1 available. and 9 available in business with 5 seats blocked.

I'm on a Y fare, hoping my chances are looking pretty good from economy to business. Is this a fair assumption?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
can't you just cash upgrade from a Y fire for a fairly small price?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumples
LAX - MUC on 2/24

With N=2 I=0 X=O

There's 7/8 seats in F, 1 available. and 9 available in business with 5 seats blocked.

I'm on a Y fare, hoping my chances are looking pretty good from economy to business. Is this a fair assumption?
I see

24FEB18 LAXMUC LH453 : J8 Z4 P1

With 12 days to go and eight seats to sell, unfortunately I wouldn't think your odds are very good.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by findark
I see

24FEB18 LAXMUC LH453 : J8 Z4 P1

With 12 days to go and eight seats to sell, unfortunately I wouldn't think your odds are very good.
Interesting, you think they can sell 8 seats in 12 days? Is that a fairly normal cadence?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.