Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
I just tried checking in online at T-22 and got the error message on LH website. The ticket shows up under my bookings, upgraded seats and everything, but it looks like the sticker thingy needs to happen still.

Can I do this via the 1K desk now or the LH GA have to do it in Seattle tomorrow, call the eticket desk?

Anyone know?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic

you probably have to do it at the airport and only that specific LH group can fix it.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:23 pm

No problemo!

Well I got to SEA and checked in at the LH counter no issues whatsoever! No calls no stickers nothing.

Seer gut ja! :-)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Ugh, it didn't clear... but supposedly I was transferred to the gate upgrade list after the 10 hour window passed. Of course, there is no way to prove that, but the gate agent said I was still listed.

That Y class on the 747-400 is a aluminium ghetto. I as in 28G, so my bumm is now square, but at least I didn't get seatback in the face. It was HOT on the plane with whiffs of cool air- with it getting worse the further back in the plane, which I am on the return.

I was 3/3 on upgrades of LH for the DEN-FRA flight and I got complacent. Plus I didn't realize that I couldn't SDC to a UA flight and at least E+ if the GPU didn't clear.

I see the GPUs for LH flights to be high-risk/medium-reward. I don't mind the business seat on the 747-400 being not perfectly flat- but with out an E+ fall back, those tight Y seats make for a horrible 10+ hour flight.

I've had pretty good luck with GPUs lately. I've had four clear this year for a total of about 50 hours in Biz/BF. That DEN-FRA flight is so convenient, but that Y seat is compliant with CIA torture protocols. In the future I think I'll only book it if I can get the seat to clear at booking. I don't know when the PE seats will come to this route.

The fact that UA does't have a single UA metal running TATL from DEN is really pain.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by PushingTin
That DEN-FRA flight is so convenient, but that Y seat is compliant with CIA torture protocols. In the future I think I'll only book it if I can get the seat to clear at booking. I don't know when the PE seats will come to this route.
Sometime in October 2015 all 744s will be with new C and PE. LH is curenty retrofitting 3 aircraft in parallel. BUT: 4 aircraft will never be retrofitted and are kept as reserve back/up till the retrofit is complete
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:33 am

Question re losing LH Upgrade using GPU if itinerary changes

Heading to Europe in a few weeks. Originally booked USA-Germany with outbound flights on UA via IAD and return on LH non-stop back to Boston.

Applied a e-GPU to upgrade the return flight on LH. It was accepted and I'm now confirmed in business in LH "I" class.

Now the problem. I need to change my outbound and will now need to make a stop in Switzerland on my way over. So now will go USA-Switzerland-Germany-USA. Will still be UA on the way over and the LH or Swiss to Germany. Return flight is still the same flight/same day as my original flight that is currently upgraded.

So now the question...my itinerary will change, adding in the new outbound segments and new Swiss/Germany segment. Ticket will need to be reissued.

Will I Lose my Upgrade on LH on the return flight because of this? I'm not canceling my reservation on this flight. only the outbound flights are changing, along with the ticket #.

THoughts?

I know that typically, once confirmed in "I" on LH they will usually keep you there even if you get booked on a different flight, etc. In my case, the flight is exactly the same.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Heading to Europe in a few weeks. Originally booked USA-Germany with outbound flights on UA via IAD and return on LH non-stop back to Boston.

Applied a e-GPU to upgrade the return flight on LH. It was accepted and I'm now confirmed in business in LH "I" class.

Now the problem. I need to change my outbound and will now need to make a stop in Switzerland on my way over. So now will go USA-Switzerland-Germany-USA. Will still be UA on the way over and the LH or Swiss to Germany. Return flight is still the same flight/same day as my original flight that is currently upgraded.

So now the question...my itinerary will change, adding in the new outbound segments and new Swiss/Germany segment. Ticket will need to be reissued.

Will I Lose my Upgrade on LH on the return flight because of this? I'm not canceling my reservation on this flight. only the outbound flights are changing, along with the ticket #.

THoughts?

I know that typically, once confirmed in "I" on LH they will usually keep you there even if you get booked on a different flight, etc. In my case, the flight is exactly the same.

Lufthansa GPU rules
10.Changes/Refunds: The rules of the fare purchased determine the changes or refunds that are allowed. Check with Lufthansa or a travel professional. Changes to a segment that is on the waitlist will result in a waitlist cancellation and re-deposit of the Global Premier Upgrade to the account from which it was withdrawn. If the date of a flight segment with a confirmed upgrade is changed, the upgrade may be re-confirmed in the higher cabin only if space is available. If space is not available, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited. All other changes to the upgraded segment will result in a re-deposit and a new request may be submitted. If your reservation contains multiple flight segments, changes to or cancellations of other flight segments will not affect the confirmed upgrade or waitlist status.
The way I interpret the above, you are safe. However, it doesn't explicitly state that a ticket reissue will not affect a confirmed or waitlisted upgrade (though I would think that most changes/cancellations would require a reissue).
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:54 am

Well here's a new one. Applied a GPU and was waitlisted for a flight on 25 April. Travel plans changed and had to push it out a week. After ticket was changed/reissued, GPU was not redeposited.

First agent told me they couldn't see one was even redeemed in the first place. Second agent said they couldn't get it back, but that it would redeposit after my original flight (i.e tomorrow morning). Fingers crossed it comes back automatically tomorrow and I don't have to spend more time trying to "find" this GPU.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club Gold
Using GPU upgrade on Lufthansa

If I purchase a B fare class ticket thru United on a Lufthansa flight and apply a GPU, what are the chances that the upgrade will clear from coach to business? I'm 1K
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:44 am

still a ghost in the machine...sigh

So the second half of my journey was not so smooth-

Outbound SEA-FRA was no problem checking in at airport- seat was still upgraded with GPU and GA said no issues whatsoever.

Return VIE-FRA-SEA was similar to earlier posts. GA in Vienna could not find ticket on LH system, called ticket desk, cleared my coach seat to FRA and said deal with the upgrade there. I followed orders accordingly.

In FRA super-cool Senator Lounge agent did everything but could not get it to issue. So she called MP desk and had me talk them through it. I used the script from earlier in this thread to reissue and sticker. 15 minutes later they issued a new ticket number which the lounge agent entered and voila'! BP prints out. We both did the happy dance right there in the lounge.

The only difference I can tell is my outbound upgrade cleared immediately whereas return was a few weeks later?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by gdavis
If I purchase a B fare class ticket thru United on a Lufthansa flight and apply a GPU, what are the chances that the upgrade will clear from coach to business? I'm 1K
Only a crystal ball can help. Up until clearing or not, the LH upgrade list is completely opaque. I think Oliver or someone posted the ranking or priority on the "grading" list. Believe M&M HON and Sen ( maybe FTL?) have priority then *G. So it all depends on the J loads for a specific flight/day and number of HON and SEN trying to upgrade.
Old May 2, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Missing miles after GPU

Are we supposed to still earn miles even though confirmed upgrades books into I class?

I sent a request for missing miles 15 days ago, but no sign of the miles.

Maybe LH was confused by that i had a Q class ticket upgraded to I. Then I was rebooked in booking class Y due to cancelled flight 3 days later. I used another GPU and got confirmed once again in I. Now maybe LH thinks that I was originally on an I award and was rebooked to Y.. ?

How can I proceed to request the miles when I have sent the automatic miles request to UA with any success ?
Old May 2, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nick5000
Are we supposed to still earn miles even though confirmed upgrades books into I class?

Maybe LH was confused by that i had a Q class ticket upgraded to I. Then I was rebooked in booking class Y due to cancelled flight 3 days later. I used another GPU and got confirmed once again in I. Now maybe LH thinks that I was originally on an I award and was rebooked to Y.. ?

How can I proceed to request the miles when I have sent the automatic miles request to UA with any success ?
I had a flight on Feb 7th that I used a GPU to upgrade and I was in a similar situation. The miles finally deposited about a week ago.

I had to go 4 rounds with United - first with the online miles request, then after 4 weeks or so with an email to [email protected] including the eticket that showed my original booking class, then after another 4 weeks with another email to [email protected] with the same information as the previous time, then after 2 weeks with an email to 1Kvoice telling them I was already moving future travel to an airline that knew how to run a loyalty program .

I hope your experience will be much smoother! Main point - to clarify that your original booking class with not I, get the eticket receipt into their hands.
Old May 2, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nick5000

Call the MPSC - as a 1K you'll get someone on the line instantaneously, and I've found those folks are actually fairly empowered.

Of course you deserve the miles by the way
Old May 2, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Ok so have read threw this thread and have a few simple things:

I want to book YEG-IAH-MUC-CPT and JNB-FRA-IAH-YEG, the MUC-CPT and JNB-FRA legs on LH.

I know this will cost me 8 GPU's (for 2 persons) but I want to confirm this at booking.

I have been looking for open "I" class on the LH flights as I will be purchasing a "Q" class ticket from UA.

Am I right that I need to see "I2" for both the individual MUC-CPT and JNB-FRA segments for this to clear at booking?? I just want to confirm right away and not waitlist (As I do by looking for "R" space on UA)

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.