Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nickab
I looked in my account, and no GPU was pulled out, so I tried upgrading online. It worked. I now have O in my reservation on lh.com, no segment on my UA reso, and no reissued ticket. I think this state is expected for 016 stock?

Moral of the story is don't listen to them if they say they can't reissue the ticket with LH flight numbers, and RIP *A desk...
Did you check the 016 ticket via the saudi route? The segment should have been updated with the correct O when the upgrade cleared instantly.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Did you check the 016 ticket via the saudi route? The segment should have been updated with the correct O when the upgrade cleared instantly.
Yup, the segment is still in D class. I called Lufthansa USA to ask if I was OK to fly in first and they said it showed I had requested the upgrade but that I was still in business class. I told them that it showed as confirmed on LH.com and I had a seat assignment in F, they said that's not the case.

I called United to tell them this, the agent called the help desk, and the help desk told him that with the new Lufthansa GPU process the policy is to not reissue 016 tickets.

I then called Lufthansa UK and posed the same original question to another agent, who immediately said that I was fully confirmed in F and OK to fly.

It does seem like the policy is to not reissue 016 tickets, unless someone here has actually had their 016 tix reissued. I've done *A upgrades on swiss ticket stock in the past, which I think causes a revalidation of that ticket. But I've never done it for 016 tickets.

If not reissuing 016 is in fact the policy and no one here has had their 016 ticket re-issued after an upgrade, it's a bummer. I imagine not having an eticket in O causes problems when humans unaware of this state get involved, like during IRROPs. I think it's unlikely I'll have problems during OLCI, but already I've gotten two different answers with humans over the phone.

If anyone here has upgraded 016, I'd love to hear if you've had your tickets reissued in the upgraded fare bucket.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Yup, the segment is still in D class. I called Lufthansa USA to ask if I was OK to fly in first and they said it showed I had requested the upgrade but that I was still in business class. I told them that it showed as confirmed on LH.com and I had a seat assignment in F, they said that's not the case.

I called United to tell them this, the agent called the help desk, and the help desk told him that with the new Lufthansa GPU process the policy is to not reissue 016 tickets.

I then called Lufthansa UK and posed the same original question to another agent, who immediately said that I was fully confirmed in F and OK to fly.

It does seem like the policy is to not reissue 016 tickets, unless someone here has actually had their 016 tix reissued. I've done *A upgrades on swiss ticket stock in the past, which I think causes a revalidation of that ticket. But I've never done it for 016 tickets.

If not reissuing 016 is in fact the policy and no one here has had their 016 ticket re-issued after an upgrade, it's a bummer. I imagine not having an eticket in O causes problems when humans unaware of this state get involved, like during IRROPs. I think it's unlikely I'll have problems during OLCI, but already I've gotten two different answers with humans over the phone.

If anyone here has upgraded 016, I'd love to hear if you've had your tickets reissued in the upgraded fare bucket.

Look up-thread, I had some very same background (corporate TA issued 016 with UA codeshares). The quick summary is that:
The change from UA>LH flight numbers did not require a ticket reissue or any TA intervention. UA took control of the ticket to change this, however, which then meant subsequent changes had to go through UA (was a pain to change the return date).

When my upgrade cleared the (C) segment on LH's website dropped off and only the (O) remained. I never received an email from UA and not sure what happened in the background for this to happen, all I know is that it happened automatically and let me OLCI after.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Technically the *SSR upgrade confirmation remark in your PNR should allow you to checkin without the stickered ticket. The agent at checkin will sort it out for you, but budget sufficient time for that.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well, this system is still a bit messy. All I tried to do was use a GPU to upgrade a LH segment, and ended up losing two flights out of my itinerary.

Original itinerary as booked, all segments on LH:
Outbound: BOS-MUC-DUS (U)
Inbound: TXL-MUC-BOS(Q)

As these were booked through United on 016 ticket stock and had UA flight numbers, the new website form for requesting GPU-based upgrades doesn’t work. I call the 1k line to apply a GPU to the MUC-BOS segment. The agent puts me on hold for about 40 minutes, then asks me if she could call me back because she, in turn, was also on hold with her supervisor in order to process this. I agree.

About an hour later, I get 4 emails, saying that one GPU has been applied to each of the segments. I log onto united.com and indeed, 4 GPUs have been taken from my account. Then, I get two more emails, saying that two upgrades have been canceled, namely the BOS-MUC and the TXL-MUC segments, along with two GPUs being redeposited. The MUC-BOS segment that I wanted is still upgraded (great!), but so is the MUC-DUS segment. (Wasting a GPU on a 1 hour intra-Europe flight makes no sense obviously) At this point I also notice that the reservation has disappeared entirely from my united account.

I call into United, and they tell me that I need to call Lufthansa to cancel the MUC-DUS upgrade. They manage to dig up the LH record locator for me. I call into LH, and log onto their website while I wait on hold with the record locator United provided. A reservation pulls up, but it only shows the two upgraded segments. Nobody seems to know where the rest of the segments are. Canceling the upgrade is only possible by calling the Miles and More hotline, as reservations can’t do anything about upgrades, apparently. As far as I can tell, the first agent managed to somehow upgrade all four segments, burning four GPUs in the process, and then tried to fix that mistake, only she canceled not just the upgrades, but two entire flights.

So at this point I’ve spent about 3 hours on the phone, most of it on hold. I’m out two GPUs and I have a completely mangled itinerary with two missing segments. LH says their records show that it wasn't an LH agent who futzed with the ticket. United says they can’t touch the ticket because it's under LH control. LH says it’s a United ticket and so they can’t touch it.

I call United again, and a very helpful and sympathetic agent named Shannon managed to partially untangle this entire mess, reinstating the missing segments. However, I still have a GPU on the MUC-DUS segment and cannot get rid of it. United swears that only LH can do it, LH says it's a united flight number, a united ticket and a united upgrade instrument, so they can't touch it. I'm not quite sure how to fix this.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:41 pm

I have just gone through a fairly painful process of upgrading an LH segment on a UA-issued ticket. It took a 40-minute call, during which the ticket was re-issued 4 times - first to convert a UA codeshare into an LH flight number, then to get LH to "see" this segment. At the end of it all:

- United.com shows the segment in Business (I) but also says "! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

- Booking details on Lufthansa.com say "Business (I)" and show a seat assignment in business, but with an old, since re-issued e-ticket number.

- CheckMyTrip says "Fare type: Business" for the segment

- Saudi e-ticket record shows "Fare class: H" (ie, the original economy class)

I don't understand this "stickering" business, but should I worry that I'll have trouble checking in with LH because the ticket was not upgraded properly in their system, at least according to Saudi's e-ticket record which still shows economy fare class?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by itsMoe
United swears that only LH can do it, LH says it's a united flight number, a united ticket and a united upgrade instrument, so they can't touch it. I'm not quite sure how to fix this.
My experience with this is that only LH can do it. That said, I only had to remove a GPU from a waitlisted upgrade, not a confirmed one.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:15 am

This is what I had for my last trip:

View Screen Capture

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:35 pm

For those with United-issued 016 etickets concerned about their tickets not being reissued, I wanted to report back that I just OLCId on lufthansa.com for my 016 ticket that remained in the old fare class, and I now have a boarding pass in F. I think as long as the reservation on lufthansa.com shows O or I class, you should be OK. The segment I upgraded does not show up on united.com for me (no entry, neither in the original booking class nor the new booking class).

It also appears this is policy at least for 016 tickets--

Ticketing: Tickets must be issued in the eligible purchased Lufthansa Economy or Lufthansa Business Class fare. Ticket will not be reissued using this upgrade certificate.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx

Last edited by nickab; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:50 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by AustinPilot
I don't understand this "stickering" business, but should I worry that I'll have trouble checking in with LH because the ticket was not upgraded properly in their system, at least according to Saudi's e-ticket record which still shows economy fare class?
Hm that does seem a bit odd. For me, the eticket on lh.com is the correct one, but they also gave me a new LH confirmation code when they made these changes. The old one doesn't work.

RE: united.com telling you to get your ticket reissued, I think the agent may just need to roll your reservation back (which I think is no upgraded segment on the UA reso), but I'm not sure.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Had to go through this as well for a FRA-MCO UA codeshare issued in J. Incredible 1K agent who was good at what she did -- kept being told by rates that it wasn't possible, space wasn't there, but refused to give up because we both saw the O class space. Eventually she said she would not waste any more of my time and would call me back when finished. About 30 minutes later she called back -- ticket re-issued. Showed as O on Lufthansa and no problems checking in. Miles have not posted yet.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:22 pm

I wanted to report back that I just OLCId on lufthansa.com for my 016 ticket that remained in the old fare class, and I now have a boarding pass in F. I think as long as the reservation on lufthansa.com shows O or I class, you should be OK.
Ah, so no problems checking in even though your e-ticket on the Saudi site was showing the old fare class? This is very similar to my situation: both UA.com and LH.com show I for the segment in question, but the e-ticket on the Saudi site shows H.

For me, the eticket on lh.com is the correct one, but they also gave me a new LH confirmation code when they made these changes. The old one doesn't work.
In my case, UA re-issued the ticket without changing the LH confirmation code. In my experience, when this happens, LH often shows the old e-ticket number instead of the new one, but it never caused problems before.

FWIW, the Saudi site shows "EXCH/REISSUED" for all coupons on the old ticket number and "AIRPORT CONTROL" for all coupons on the new ticket number (in my experience, this is typical with UA-issued LH tickets). So I am not worried about the e-ticket number discrepancy on LH.com

RE: united.com telling you to get your ticket reissued, I think the agent may just need to roll your reservation back (which I think is no upgraded segment on the UA reso), but I'm not sure.
My reservation on UA.com looks a little weird. At first it was missing the upgraded segment, but then it came back, showing the right flight number and class (I) but the times are all wrong: 12:00am for both arrival and departure. Plus the message to get the ticket re-issued.

As I said, on both LH.com and CheckMyTrip the upgraded segment shows in Business (I), but the e-ticket on Saudi shows it in H.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Upgraded my partner's 016 ticket J -> O (FRA-SFO A380)
Confirmed 10 days before flying. No email notification at all.
016- ticket not reissued, nothing changed on UA side.
LH side - was able to select F seat.
Proceed to check in at F no problem.
Two more D -> O (FRA-HKG) wait-listed.
One should clear, the other might not. Waiting to see what happens at t minus 10.
Doing this online is pain-free and loving it!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by AustinPilot
Ah, so no problems checking in even though your e-ticket on the Saudi site was showing the old fare class? This is very similar to my situation: both UA.com and LH.com show I for the segment in question, but the e-ticket on the Saudi site shows H.
Yup, no problems with OLCI nor when I went to get my boarding passes printed at the airport.

I do think that the UA agents shouldn't have added the extra segment with I to your UA reservation, and that's why you're seeing the "reissue please" error on united.com. For me, there is no lufthansa segment on my united reservation, and no error listed.

Originally Posted by kittiyut
Doing this online is pain-free and loving it!
Yes, at least for me, this is so much better than the old process!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: UA1MM ex-1K
Is LH/Q a better deal than UA/W for GPUs?

Which is the better deal for GPU: LH in Q or UA in W ?

If I interpret the latest rules for upgrades/GPU correctly:
  • an upgrade between Mainland US and Europe on a W ticket with UA metal will require a copay of $550.
  • an upgrade between Mainland US and Europe on a Q ticket with LH metal appears to require zero copay.
Since I am looking at July departures the price difference is about $250 extra for Q versus W roundtrip.
So if I am going to play the upgrade roulette, assuming the chances for LH or UA upgrades are about equal, it seems that going LH is a much better deal since - in the case of success - it appears to be overall lower cost, and (as a side benefit) it also provides more miles (~3k for a UA1K).

But maybe I somehow misinterpreted the rules and there is a $425 copay even for use of a GPU on LH?

Thanks to anybody for clarification. And for the useful tips in general in this discussion thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.