WSJ Article: Award Program Changes

Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Use Bing to search for the title. Then click on the news results on top.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think we need a separate thread on how to get past the firewall
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Nope (not for me, at least). Guys, Google this string:

Frequent Fliers Hunt for Loopholes in New Mile Award Programs

and click on the first result. I use Firefox, if that matters.
This worked for me with Safari 8.0 on my Mac
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The key phrase in that article is that United expects to change partner award earnings to better align with United's new scheme.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:06 pm

Change I like

As a GS flyer that spends lots of money on United, I'm very pleased with this change.

Not only are the rewards now better for me, this will weed out the mileage inflation for lower tiers flyers, and allow me to use these miles for more redemption tickets and upgrades.

The airlines have known for years this had to be done. I'm happier that DL and UA are ripping off the band aid rather than dragging this out over multiple years.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Theyre effectively taking away some of the free cake theyve been giving away, he says.
This is the only thing I disagree with: it was never free cake to begin with.

Reducing the miles is a stealth fare increase.

Not that we Americans can complain about it: it's our own DoJ that enabled all of this by allowing a noncompetitive environment to form.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Use Bing to search for the title. Then click on the news results on top.
This worked for me when Google wouldn't. Probably a rancid cookie. CCleaner prescribed.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by airzim
As a GS flyer that spends lots of money on United, I'm very pleased with this change.

Not only are the rewards now better for me, this will weed out the mileage inflation for lower tiers flyers, and allow me to use these miles for more redemption tickets and upgrades.

The airlines have known for years this had to be done. I'm happier that DL and UA are ripping off the band aid rather than dragging this out over multiple years.
Keep dreaming. UA will cut that too.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 20, 2014 at 5:11 pm Reason: personal attack
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Lol, good luck with that. You think UA is going to offer a better, different airline for you because you're GS? You're just a 1K who spends way too much money on UA (instead of higher quality options) in exchange for a very marginal set of extra benefits - the lifespan of which is subject to change at any moment.

I guess I could be a GS too if I was successful pushing the spend of my $500k+ customers to UA - except they only spend money on BA, CX, SQ, AF and to a small degree, AA and DL, although we've gotten a few folks hooked on the B6 Mint product for their domestic hops...they just don't see any value in the UA product even when SQ and BA are more money for the same ticket.

If you're spending north of 30k per year on UA and it's your own money, I have to ask why...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
I'm walking into this with eye wide open.

You also make a nonsensical argument. DL and UA are very clearly converting their programs from a loyalty program to a rewards programs. They can't reward their best customers given their current structures of their programs. For too long they have rewarded loyalty with miles and the associated perks. The side effect is diluted benefits to the customers they want to reward the most. This isn't rocket science.

The fact that people on this website, which is specifically designed to help people maximize airline benefits at the lowest possible cost, are complaining the loudest is not surprising. Everyone should have seen this coming.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 20, 2014 at 5:12 pm Reason: edited quoted post and reference to part of edited quote
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Always nice to hear from those with generous employers who don't mind paying the freight in premium classes.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
this will weed out the mileage inflation for lower tiers flyers, and allow me to use these miles for more redemption tickets and upgrades.
Yes, you will have more miles. Considerably more. However there is no reason to believe any of the recent changes will result in added saver award availability. To the contrary, that continues to shrink. You will, however, be able to use what is likely to be an absurdly outsized RDM balance to redeem at the standard award level. Availability of which will remain exactly the same as it is now.

For upgrades, as a GS you clear into PN, ahead of all other elite levels, so I'm not sure how any of the recent and upcoming changes would enhance your ability to score upgrades.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
The fact that people on this website, which is specifically designed to help people maximize airline benefits at the lowest possible cost, are complaining the loudest is not surprising. Everyone should have seen this coming.
I'm not sure it's only about complaining. I'm sure that United Airlines considers me one of their better customers, and I'll do just fine with the RDM changes, but you can only cut a loyalty or reward program so far before you eventually remove all reason to be loyal.

With yesterday's decision to remove upgrades without co-pay from the PS routes, my main reason for loyalty ended. In the past, I could use miles to upgrade myself into the premium cabin. This was a perk that was previously afforded to me in return for my loyalty. From now, I will for the most part have to pay business fares to get into the premium cabin. Given this, why would I pay what UA charges for that when I can pay less and get more on other carriers ?

For people that don't fly PS routes, the change from yesterday means nothing, the same as cutting BKK meant nothing to me.

There is sadly a continuing push to cut benefits and services, and it is only a matter of time before they get to the item that you justify your loyalty for.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

You also make a nonsensical argument. DL and UA are very clearly converting their programs from a loyalty program to a rewards programs. They can't reward their best customers given their current structures of their programs. For too long they have rewarded loyalty with miles and the associated perks. The side effect is diluted benefits to the customers they want to reward the most. This isn't rocket science.

If you are a GS, it's no wonder you either don't care about or are appreciative of the changes.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 20, 2014 at 5:12 pm Reason: edited quote to match edited original post
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

+1 As with all changes over the years, some win, some lose. In this case the cheapo-fare longer-distance flyers lower-elite lose, the premium fare flyers win. Gaming the system will get harder (as was the case when WN switched from RR 1.0 to 2.0).

Even for those of us who win it's a mixed bag. Under the new scheme my family members will only earn 1500 mi v. 2500 mi for a cheapo roundtrip to Cabo. So maybe I choose another airline for certain leisure trips, but then I have to factor checked bag costs.

Originally Posted by Superguy
Nobody can predict the future. If UA continues to gut the elites relative to the competition then customers will switch. But that's an annual decision that we all have to make.

10 years ago I had status on AA because it was cheap to get ($200 RT transcons) and easy to get Gold and there were good benefits at the lowest tier (easy upgrades). Now I am 1k on UA because I fly more for business and UA offers the best routing.

It will still be possible to earn status by accumulating EQMs on cheapo fares. You just won't see the same RDM. Hopefully that will wean the overflowing upgrade list at the hubs.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm Reason: edited quoted posts to match edited original posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.