FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WSJ Article: Award Program Changes
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:26 pm
CO_Nonrev_elite

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by airzim
The fact that people on this website, which is specifically designed to help people maximize airline benefits at the lowest possible cost, are complaining the loudest is not surprising. Everyone should have seen this coming.
I'm not sure it's only about complaining. I'm sure that United Airlines considers me one of their better customers, and I'll do just fine with the RDM changes, but you can only cut a loyalty or reward program so far before you eventually remove all reason to be loyal.

With yesterday's decision to remove upgrades without co-pay from the PS routes, my main reason for loyalty ended. In the past, I could use miles to upgrade myself into the premium cabin. This was a perk that was previously afforded to me in return for my loyalty. From now, I will for the most part have to pay business fares to get into the premium cabin. Given this, why would I pay what UA charges for that when I can pay less and get more on other carriers ?

For people that don't fly PS routes, the change from yesterday means nothing, the same as cutting BKK meant nothing to me.

There is sadly a continuing push to cut benefits and services, and it is only a matter of time before they get to the item that you justify your loyalty for.