Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ Article: Award Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE

I have edited posts which were personal attacks. Please discuss the merits/lack of merits in the article and not each other

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by airzim
You also make a nonsensical argument. DL and UA are very clearly converting their programs from a loyalty program to a rewards programs. They can't reward their best customers given their current structures of their programs. For too long they have rewarded loyalty with miles and the associated perks. The side effect is diluted benefits to the customers they want to reward the most. This isn't rocket science.
As a GS, I'm surprised you're so wrong on this - while DL didn't have an uber-tier like UA did (to reward high spenders), UA DID have GS. And as a GS / premium cabin buyer, you DID have differentiated perks (different buckets to get UGs from, early boarding, now M-B service, etc.) & received more RDMs (via COS bonii).

Would have been very easy for UA to just up the RDMs earned from paid cabins (and maybe discount some of the cheapest fares). Instead they blew up the system.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by airzim
I'm walking into this with eye wide open.

You also make a nonsensical argument. DL and UA are very clearly converting their programs from a loyalty program to a rewards programs. They can't reward their best customers given their current structures of their programs. For too long they have rewarded loyalty with miles and the associated perks. The side effect is diluted benefits to the customers they want to reward the most. This isn't rocket science.
Problem is they keep cutting the benefits for those that they want to reward the most. And also jacked up the redemption rates for *A premium cabins. So yes, you may be getting more miles for your dollar, but it's also costing you nearly double or more miles for that same award.

Not exactly a win.

The fact that people on this website, which is specifically designed to help people maximize airline benefits at the lowest possible cost, are complaining the loudest is not surprising. Everyone should have seen this coming.
You clearly don't understand FT then. Yes people talk about getting the most for as little as possible, but it's ignorant to say we're all cheap. Many people are HVFs too who just want some semblance of the perks they used to get. Hell, you don't even get a first class experience on UA anymore even if you pay for it.

People saw it coming on UA because DL did it first. Only problem with UA's implementation is that it keeps cutting everything while DL is at least improving their onboard offerings. DL may be a bit stingier, but if you get better entertainment, comfort and food on board, people are more willing to put up with it. UA, on the other hand, just keeps demanding more while offering less and less every year. You can't even argue that it's a reward program because they don't see it that way. They see it as something they HAVE to do, and would gladly get rid of it if they could get away with it. Of course, they can't do that overnight, so it's dying a slow death.

In the meantime, keep enjoying what perks you get while flying on OPM. It's always easy to cheer when it doesn't cost much personally.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Nobody can predict the future. If UA continues to gut the elites relative to the competition then customers will switch. But that's an annual decision that we all have to make.
Funny this is I'm one that would win on the vast majority of my travel. On my midcons, I'd be pulling in close to 10k miles around trip instead of 2-3k since I'm flying on higher bucket refundable fares. That doesn't mean I think it's a good change.[/quote]

10 years ago I had status on AA because it was cheap to get ($200 RT transcons) and easy to get Gold and there were good benefits at the lowest tier (easy upgrades). Now I am 1k on UA because I fly more for business and UA offers the best routing.
I flew UA as it had a great network and pretty good service for a domestic. Unfortunately, with cuts in the product, and then to MP, the value proposition made it clear it wasn't worth it to me anymore to be loyal. So I went elsewhere.

I still look at it every year. I was debating whether or not to stick with AA/US because I'm not happy they stuck more with the AA style program. But after looking at it, it's still the best deal out there IMO from what's left.

You're right that you can't predict the future - that's the main reason I get a bit miffed when everyone says "AA is going to do X because UA/DL did it. They may or may not. However, I can take educated guesses on the direction they seem to be taking to make and likely plan accordingly. UA me that expectation again this year.

It will still be possible to earn status by accumulating EQMs on cheapo fares. You just won't see the same RDM. Hopefully that will wean the overflowing upgrade list at the hubs.
As long as there are CPUs, the long lists aren't going to change. Maybe on PS.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Superguy
I get a bit miffed when everyone says "AA is going to do X because UA/DL did it. They may or may not. However, I can take educated guesses on the direction they seem to be taking to make and likely plan accordingly.
AA never joined DL/UA on the complimentary upgrade system, that's been in place for years, so nothing is guaranteed. Them going to a revenue based system may or may not happen.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
However there is no reason to believe any of the recent changes will result in added saver award availability. To the contrary, that continues to shrink.
New thread, same tired old line, still no evidence.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Use Bing to search for the title. Then click on the news results on top.
that worked
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by boss315
Yes, but it also touches on the time bomb of how the partners are going to be folded into the $ amount, also...granted, WE know most of this but it appears that there is something lurking in the undercurrent that will screw us even further on partner flights!

will this really cause people with low or no status to pick Star Alliance partner
airlines as opposed United Airlines on the same routes? (either TPAC or TATL)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.