FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WSJ Article: Award Program Changes
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:44 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by airzim
I'm walking into this with eye wide open.

You also make a nonsensical argument. DL and UA are very clearly converting their programs from a loyalty program to a rewards programs. They can't reward their best customers given their current structures of their programs. For too long they have rewarded loyalty with miles and the associated perks. The side effect is diluted benefits to the customers they want to reward the most. This isn't rocket science.

The fact that people on this website, which is specifically designed to help people maximize airline benefits at the lowest possible cost, are complaining the loudest is not surprising. Everyone should have seen this coming.
+1 As with all changes over the years, some win, some lose. In this case the cheapo-fare longer-distance flyers lower-elite lose, the premium fare flyers win. Gaming the system will get harder (as was the case when WN switched from RR 1.0 to 2.0).

Even for those of us who win it's a mixed bag. Under the new scheme my family members will only earn 1500 mi v. 2500 mi for a cheapo roundtrip to Cabo. So maybe I choose another airline for certain leisure trips, but then I have to factor checked bag costs.

Originally Posted by Superguy
Keep dreaming. UA will cut that too.
Nobody can predict the future. If UA continues to gut the elites relative to the competition then customers will switch. But that's an annual decision that we all have to make.

10 years ago I had status on AA because it was cheap to get ($200 RT transcons) and easy to get Gold and there were good benefits at the lowest tier (easy upgrades). Now I am 1k on UA because I fly more for business and UA offers the best routing.

It will still be possible to earn status by accumulating EQMs on cheapo fares. You just won't see the same RDM. Hopefully that will wean the overflowing upgrade list at the hubs.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm Reason: edited quoted posts to match edited original posts