Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Thank you so much for the reply. I have no UA status right now. I will post separately about collecting a Untied bag in AMS and checking it for an Etihad flight 7 hours later.

I wonder if I would be treated any differently (and the ticket agent would interline my bag to Etihad) if I am flying BUSINESS class to AMS.
I don’t necessarily think so, but the bigger point is that you should never rely on this to work. You have a long time between your flights, so I suspect it’s not relevant, but if you are pressed for time and the agent denies to - or simply can’t - check the bags through on a separate ticket, you suddenly have a big problem. And arguing that it worked before or some guy on the internet told you not to worry isn’t going to help.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by LondonElite
it would help to know where you are flying. I’m not sure what you are asking, but a Swiss desk in the US won’t check you in for your LX flight to or from Switzerland. How much time is between these flights?
Was going from a UA regional airport on a domestic booking to SFO, then going on LX on a separate booking. Was hoping UA agent in my origin could interline bag to final destination, as they are both *A carriers.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paine445
Was going from a UA regional airport on a domestic booking to SFO, then going on LX on a separate booking. Was hoping UA agent in my origin could interline bag to final destination, as they are both *A carriers.
They should.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Question about min MCT and max MCT. I had a flight (originally out of BOM but now moved to DEL because of lack of available options) back to the US. I had to buy a segment from BOM to DEL and my onward connection was precisely 7 hours later. What is the max MCT? I thought it was 12 hours but clearly I was mistaken as no matter how many times the agent tried, the computer wouldn’t issue a tag through to LAX. So I had to leave security in DEL and wait landslide for some hours and then tag my bag through again. I think I remember the min MCT is 45 min but what’s that max? Thanks very much!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Question about min MCT and max MCT. I had a flight (originally out of BOM but now moved to DEL because of lack of available options) back to the US. I had to buy a segment from BOM to DEL and my onward connection was precisely 7 hours later. What is the max MCT? I thought it was 12 hours but clearly I was mistaken as no matter how many times the agent tried, the computer wouldn’t issue a tag through to LAX. ...
Was it overnight?, that is another disqualifier in addition to 12 hours
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was it overnight?, that is another disqualifier in addition to 12 hours
I guess you could say that. 930pm to 430am. What window of hours is classified as overnight? Also within the "overnight" window, whats the max MCT time there? Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
I guess you could say that. 930pm to 430am. What window of hours is classified as overnight? Also within the "overnight" window, whats the max MCT time there? Thanks!
Not sure but believe its any time between 2AM to 6?AM. For a 24 hour airport like DEL it may not make sense but generic rules do not always work everywhere
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:16 pm

My trip...

Ticket #1 - FLL-ORD, paid coach.
4 hours
Ticket #2 - ORD-ZRH, used LifeMiles for business.

I am *A Gold with UA. I know UA will, by policy, check the bag through in FLL.

I would like to spend 1-2 hours in the Polaris Lounge Chicago before trudging over to T5 and the (likely) crowded and underwhelming SwissPort Lounge.

I am a little concerned about the bag transfer from UA to LX in Chicago with two tickets and two airlines.
Anyone have experience with FLL agents checking bags through successfully? Troubles? Anyone have a bad experience?

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

DP:
OKC - IAH Booked Cash (TB)
IAH - SFO Booked on Chase Travel Portal (UR)

Got to OKC without checking in on the app for any of the flights. App showed seats available on IAH-SFO. Counter agent happily interlined the bag, checked us in for both reservations and provided us with paper boarding passes for both flights.
However, on the app I could retrieve our OKC-IAH passes but the IAH-SFO got messed up and could never access that reservation. I guess it was a combination of all factors.

Anyway, when we landed at IAH, the next flight was canceled. Messed up reservation on the app made it difficult to rebook, so I had to do it over the phone.

FWIW, we asked for our bag at IAH to spend the night, and the bag had been successfully retagged.
Global321 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
My family (4 pax) are traveling from SFO to AKL via SYD (5 hour connection). Flying UA to SYD and ANZ to AKL. We have 4 different PNRs for UA (to maximize upgrade chances) and a separate single PNR (but 4 different ticket numbers) for the ANZ segment. Will there be any issues interlining our bags due to family having different PNRs on UA and a single PNR on ANZ?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pigzilla
My family (4 pax) are traveling from SFO to AKL via SYD (5 hour connection). Flying UA to SYD and ANZ to AKL. We have 4 different PNRs for UA (to maximize upgrade chances) and a separate single PNR (but 4 different ticket numbers) for the ANZ segment. Will there be any issues interlining our bags due to family having different PNRs on UA and a single PNR on ANZ?
not an issue, but plan for some time to make this all work. Is your NZ ticket on a fare that has a bag allowance?
pigzilla likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
not an issue, but plan for some time to make this all work. Is your NZ ticket on a fare that has a bag allowance?
Thanks, yes, its the ANZ Economy Flexi fare with 1 checked bag allowance per pax.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pigzilla
Thanks, yes, its the ANZ Economy Flexi fare with 1 checked bag allowance per pax.
I have had this situation before (2 pax, not 4) and it was doable. 4 might take extra time unless the agent can somehow create all 4 bags on just 1 PNR.
SPN Lifer and pigzilla like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Sorry to ask in this thread, as it's really for the other way around: does Air New Zealand interline baggage for a flight to the US to a domestic UA flight?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by narvik
Sorry to ask in this thread, as it's really for the other way around: does Air New Zealand interline baggage for a flight to the US to a domestic UA flight?
Per the Air New Zealand website if it is on one ticket then yes. If separate tickets then no.

Even if checked through you would still need to collect your luggage in the US arrival city, go through customs then drop it off again.

https://www.airnewzealand.com/checke...age#connecting
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.