Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United narrows Q3 PRASM Guidance - analyst expects them to lead Q4 PRASM growth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United narrows Q3 PRASM Guidance - analyst expects them to lead Q4 PRASM growth

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Very good results and outlook from UA. UA and WN are the two big carriers taking steps forward now after a slow start. AA and DL are losing momentum.

Originally Posted by channa
Thanks for finding those. Even more reason their performance today is so abysmal.

How they took the best two and killed them is mind-boggling.
Numbers that far back are nearly meaningless. Back in the recession era, a carrier like DL with a skew towards shorter flights got killed on the revenue side. With a better economy again, they had the most to gain. Customers will pay up (and have little choice not to) for short flights after a rebound in the economy coupled with a lack of competition after mergers.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Before consolidation, comparing PRASM between airlines served very little purpose, because each airline's route network has fundamental differences than the other. Today, AA, DL, and UA more closely resemble each other such that a direct comparison can arguably be made; however the focus has been (and continues to be) on YOY PRASM change, not actual PRASM itself.
Very good points.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Well, they've lost my 20 k per year spend......forever!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by fastair
No, because Fargo sales tax is over 1% less. Fargo is better because it costs less for the same product
And Fargo was a better movie than Manhattan...
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by fly747first
Back [from] where? UA can't sink any lower, as it has ranked dead last among U.S. airlines for several years now.
Originally Posted by trk1
This is good news!!!! The airline is on the way back and that is good news!!
Ask trk1
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
Explanations (or, in your words, excuses) are not classified as "poor" because they're dismissed by FlyerTalk. United underperformed in the past and provided reasons for that underperformance. The trend appears to be changing, and it looks like the haters keep on hating.
Perhaps you should address the content of the posts instead of attempting to categorize posters.

The fact that a poster does not like what COdbaUA is doing does not necessarily make them a hater. In fact, it probably makes them a realist.

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
And Fargo was a better movie than Manhattan...
Perhaps, but Fargo did not have Rhapsody in Blue.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Very good results and outlook from UA. UA and WN are the two big carriers taking steps forward now after a slow start. AA and DL are losing momentum.
Can't really take you seriously when you make this claim - I know you have a strange defense of UA, but be real :-:
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Back in the recession era, a carrier like DL with a skew towards shorter flights got killed on the revenue side. With a better economy again, they had the most to gain. Customers will pay up (and have little choice not to) for short flights after a rebound in the economy coupled with a lack of competition after mergers.
You're arguing that short-distance travelers have fewer alternatives than long-distance travelers? Good luck with that.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:35 am

Usually in months past, by this time after the initial press release, a thread like this would already be several pages deep with inane and sophomoric comments of self-anointed "HVFs" leaving ...
Perhaps some of the "self anointed" HVFs were actually real HVFs by virtue of spending a lot of money on expensive tickets.

Perhaps we're not "several pages deep" in comments that you describe as "inane" and "sophomoric" because those HVFs have now left, and no longer care.

Rainey and Smisek got what they wanted.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Perhaps we're not "several pages deep" in comments that you describe as "inane" and "sophomoric" because those HVFs have now left, and no longer care
@:-)
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Perhaps some of the "self anointed" HVFs were actually real HVFs by virtue of spending a lot of money on expensive tickets.

Perhaps we're not "several pages deep" in comments that you describe as "inane" and "sophomoric" because those HVFs have now left, and no longer care.

Rainey and Smisek got what they wanted.
Trust me.... Go through any UA thread and you'll see those same posters over and over again with the same tired talking points .... I'm not the only one who observed it
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
UA upped its guidance; AA and DL lowered theirs. Maybe there is a correlation after all. @:-)
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
AA and DL are losing momentum.
anyone who honestly believes DL is losing momentum should have their head examined. in my opinion, DL is kicking tail and taking names when it comes to demanding higher fares and providing a superior customer experience along with it.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: AA, UA
AA and DL are losing momentum.
DL seems to be doing fine, but AA is definitely losing momentum. AA finished last in on-time arrivals in August and their planes seem to be breaking down more often. And, with recent product downgrades, some of its frequent fliers are leaving AA. AA and US still need to combine their IT systems, and if that fails watch out.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:22 am

UA upped its guidance; AA and DL lowered theirs. Maybe there is a correlation after all. @:-)
Smisek's compensation package is based in part on hitting targets for increasing margins.

He has increased margins by cutting capacity and cutting expenses.

So, he shrunk and cut to a smaller but potentially more profitable company, measured by margins, however, in so doing, he also cut a significant amount of profit.

What's better? A $100 million company with a profit of $10 million or a $200 million company with a profit of $16 million?

Isn't it in the best interest of shareholders to continue expanding as long as the marginal benefit is > 0?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
So, he shrunk and cut to a smaller but potentially more profitable company, measured by margins, however, in so doing, he also cut a significant amount of profit.
I don't disagree with this, because I too am not comfortable with the cuts, especially the new ones coming this winter. I also haven't liked much of the changes that Smisek said that I'd like. That's why I am skeptical that UA can keep up with this optimistic outlook going forward.

But UA did a good job in 3Q, not as good as WN but better than DL and definitely better than AA that is just beginning with its integration mess. IMO, the desire of some people who continue to try and find bad news from an unarguably good set of numbers is beyond pointless. I, for one, am saving my potshots at UA for other threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.