Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United narrows Q3 PRASM Guidance - analyst expects them to lead Q4 PRASM growth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United narrows Q3 PRASM Guidance - analyst expects them to lead Q4 PRASM growth

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by entropy
where's the "good" news? they upped the lower end of the guidance, not the upper end. 4% increase over the pathetic comp from last year doesn't put them closer to DL.

They've gotten hammered in the last few weeks despite the cheapest oil in years.
I guess any news thats not bad news qualifies as good news

I'll defer to you as this is not my area of expertise but it certainly feel like people love to complain more often than not around here. I can live to be 1000 years old and I will never understand the vitriol over the stupid tulip. I love flying but I'll never, ever, EVER understand why someone cares how the plane is painted. (but I digress)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by channa
It's easy to have a good increase when you have low comps to start from.

Store 1 sells $10M in Year 1, and has a 10% increase in Year 2, now selling $11M

Store 2 sells $20M in Year 1, and has an 8% increase in Year 2, now selling $21.6M

Which store is better?
Wasn't that the case with AA the last couple of years, and DL prior to that? They posted revenue increases because of the low position that they were staring from. Both airlines were lauded for it at least on the FT UA board, but then UA does the same exact thing and it's bad. I'll never understand the logic here sometimes.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:43 pm

The same with DL, and AA during certain periods. Give credit where credit is due. The blind bashing takes away credibility from your other posts

Last edited by goalie; Oct 9, 2014 at 8:05 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Usually in months past, by this time after the initial press release, a thread like this would already be several pages deep with inane and sophomoric comments of self-anointed "HVFs" leaving and "analyses" attempting to extrapolate a simple monthly statistic into UA's impending collapse. I hope to be spared of that ringling brothers circus act this time around.

These numbers are good news for UA, because UA has actually upped its 3Q PRASM guidance. By contrast, DL has maintained the low end of its already lowered forecast (+2%) -- still a good showing nevertheless. Meanwhile, AA lost traffic on more capacity, and has lowered 3Q PRASM growth, now down to flat-to- +1.5%.

UA and WN are the two carriers that are showing stronger 3Q numbers, period. That's all that these monthly numbers say.

That said, I am skeptical of UA's optimistic outlook going forward. There are a lot of new uncertainties, and with the cuts in the domestic network, IMO UA is more exposed than other U.S. carriers in a global downturn.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I'll defer to you as this is not my area of expertise but it certainly feel like people love to complain more often than not around here.
I'll give you an example of why people complain. After cutting the food/drink product in domestic F and international BF to the point celebrities were making fun of United on their Twitter accounts, they recently announced a new upgrade to food and wine, right? So on my last flight TATL, what happened? They ran out of white wine shortly after meal service. FA's apologized profusely, saying not enough had been catered.

Now - I will say one positive thing - my UG percentage has rebounded recently, and I'm grateful for that. But they still trail the competition in just about every aspect of what they offer, and even when they realize they made a mistake, they announce the solution before they are in a position to actually deliver.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by BB2220
The same with DL, and AA during certain periods. Give credit where credit is due. The blind bashing takes away credibility from your other posts
If you look at absolute RASM, UA was the industry leader, and CO was above average.

They're just now starting to pull themselves up after falling from the bottom.

So to your point, yes, credit where credit is due. It's like they're coming out of rehab, and starting to get back on their feet. But they are hardly where they should be. Had they not botched the whole merger up, they would be making gangbusters right about now.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:58 pm

If you look at absolute RASM, UA was the industry leader, and CO was above average.
CO actually had the second highest PRASM prior to the merger (11.75 to UAL's 11.90). Delta had the lowest, at 11.50.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
CO actually had the second highest PRASM prior to the merger (11.75 to UAL's 11.90). Delta had the lowest, at 11.50.
Thanks for finding those. Even more reason their performance today is so abysmal.

How they took the best two and killed them is mind-boggling.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Before consolidation, comparing PRASM between airlines served very little purpose, because each airline's route network has fundamental differences than the other. Today, AA, DL, and UA more closely resemble each other such that a direct comparison can arguably be made; however the focus has been (and continues to be) on YOY PRASM change, not actual PRASM itself.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
Explanations (or, in your words, excuses) are not classified as "poor" because they're dismissed by FlyerTalk. United underperformed in the past and provided reasons for that underperformance. The trend appears to be changing, and it looks like the haters keep on hating.
UA's excuses in the past were exactly that: excuses. They underperformed the competition when the competition often faced the exact same issues. Other excuses were exceptionally weak, often one-off events.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Store 1 sells $10M in Year 1, and has a 10% increase in Year 2, now selling $11M

Store 2 sells $20M in Year 1, and has an 8% increase in Year 2, now selling $21.6M

Which store is better?
I don't know.

If you are implying Store 1 and Store 2 is UA and Any Other Network Airline, I personally don't believe you can make a simplistic comparison you have in your example - they fly different routes/markets, hubbed different places, etc.

A Store 1 and Store 2 comparison only works in the mythical world where both stores are literally located right next to each other and sell the exact same things.

If the Apple Store in Manhattan sells $20 million and the Apple Store in Fargo sells $5 million, does that mean the Manhattan store is better?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:59 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

If the Apple Store in Manhattan sells $20 million and the Apple Store in Fargo sells $5 million, does that mean the Manhattan store is better?
No, because Fargo sales tax is over 1% less. Fargo is better because it costs less for the same product
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
could it be all those cancelled international flights that in effect cause other more emptier flights to fill up?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2014-a-64.html
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
could it be all those cancelled international flights that in effect cause other more emptier flights to fill up?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2014-a-64.html
Yes, they cut capacity in arguably the most busiest quarter of the year for US airlines and traffic was down. Operate less flights and pack the passengers on the remaining flights that do operate and magically PRASM goes up. PRASM alone does not mean much. UA could cut capacity tomorrow by 50% if they are just trying to increase PRASM. Doesn't say anything about profitability until we have all of the financial data for the quarter.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I would say more so successful in charting a new path, rather than on its way back to what would even resemble the (arguably) better airline(s) we had before.
Back where? UA can't sink any lower, as it has ranked dead last among U.S. airlines for several years now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.