Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest made to leave UA club when I left

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
How is it customer-unfriendly? The guest is not a customer. The people using the lounge legitimately are the customers. At times I go into the Lounge at SFO international and can't find 2 seats together for me and my wife to sit. I wonder how many "guests" are consuming space that paid flyers should have access to. Protecting that is customer friendly.
I would like to bring in a guest without the third degree. I'm a customer. My liking it cancels out your disliking it. Yada yada.

I don't understand why this is so hard for people. There's like an average of 0.2 unaccompanied guests per club at any given time. Enforcing this rule accomplishes precisely zero crowd-reduction and is incredibly obnoxious.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
How is it customer-unfriendly? The guest is not a customer. The people using the lounge legitimately are the customers. At times I go into the Lounge at SFO international and can't find 2 seats together for me and my wife to sit. I wonder how many "guests" are consuming space that paid flyers should have access to. Protecting that is customer friendly.
If your wife is not a UC member, how would you feel if she wanted to stay an extra 15 minutes after you left and the UC staff kicked her out? The staff would be well within their rights based on the rules, but I'm betting you/she would be at least a little annoyed.

Anyways, I agree with the folks who have said that unaccompanied guests are likely a very, very minor contributor to overcrowding (I'll be generous and say maybe 1-2% of the problem).
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jewels421
If your wife is not a UC member, how would you feel if she wanted to stay an extra 15 minutes after you left and the UC staff kicked her out? The staff would be well within their rights based on the rules, but I'm betting you/she would be at least a little annoyed.
+1

Or imagine if you were traveling with your spouse and your flights were to leave at the same time and suddenly MX or weather causes them to be delayed for hours? Something similar happened with massive storms in ORD and my elderly mom was stuck for an additional 4 hours after I left on time...I could not imagine her having to go sit on the floor near the gates since the airport was a zoo. There are always rules but I would imagine most of you in all your days of flying UA have asked them to bend or look the other way

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 29, 2014 at 9:15 pm Reason: fixed BBcode
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
On more than one occasion, usually when I am on a late flight and the person next to me is going to misconnect, invited them into the club to avoid the long lines. We normally have a few drinks and, if I have an earlier flight, I leave them to enjoy. I warn them they could be asked to leave and have never had a problem. I look at it as "passing it forward."
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Ultimately I think the thing to do in this situation is what someone once told me about how to deal with my wife: just smile and say "sure, whatever you want" and then go do whatever you were going to do anyway.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
+1

Or imagine if you were traveling with your spouse and your flights were to leave at the same time and suddenly MX or weather causes them to be delayed for hours? Something similar happened with massive storms in ORD and my elderly mom was stuck for an additional 4 hours after I left on time...I could not imagine her having to go sit on the floor near the gates since the airport was a zoo. There are always rules but I would imagine most of you in all your days of flying UA have asked them to bend or look the other way
This was good for your mother but probably not so good or fair to other club members who were similarly stuck at the airport and couldn't enter the lounge or get a seat because the lounge was overcrowded during those hours.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
sorry, you really think that a few dozen FT'ers giving/receiving free access for an hour or two a week is what has led to club overcrowding and service quality decreases? if you honestly believe that i have a beach house in Arizona on the market...

i've posted looking for access in the Wiki about a dozen times this year and been contacted by another FT'er to gift access exactly once.

similarly, i've offered access a few times and never been contacted by someone seeking access on the same dates and time.

blame Chase and UA for being in bed with them if you are looking for a scapegoat. 2x club passes per year times millions of card holders = a total s*** show in the UC's.
And don't get me wrong I realize the intent of helping fellow FT's out. I suppose when I see posts "need to be guested 9/14 at EWR and then 9/17 at ORD and then 9/25 at SFO it gets out of hand. If club access is so important when you travel buy it. Consequently if F is so important when you fly buy it. The premium products have been cheapened because no one sees them as much of a premium.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
And don't get me wrong I realize the intent of helping fellow FT's out. I suppose when I see posts "need to be guested 9/14 at EWR and then 9/17 at ORD and then 9/25 at SFO it gets out of hand. If club access is so important when you travel buy it. Consequently if F is so important when you fly buy it. The premium products have been cheapened because no one sees them as much of a premium.
One could also argue that the premium products have been cheapened by the actions of UA to make them less valuable.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Rules exist as enforced, not as written. And I say that as a lawyer. It's a basic part of the reality that I live in, and I'm surprised that so many people on this board seem to live in an alternative reality where unenforced but written rules are considered rules at all.

The rules-are-rules stupidity here is insane to me. Others disagree.
As a lawyer? Don't believe it because that is not that law and a lawyer would know that.

And I say that as an admitted, practicing lawyer.

What it sounds like to me is a self-centered person who wants to pick and choose what rules should be applied to them.

Originally Posted by Baze
Seems like a lot of what people do on here drives you insane, like people getting into lanes before boarding starts or people who check bags and have to wait for the bag at the end. You must be a really insane person

Originally Posted by halls120
One could also argue that the premium products have been cheapened by the actions of UA to make them less valuable.
There is nothing valuable on UA any more.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Interesting thread. Looks like it's the "rules are rules" crowd vs. the "rules are meant to be bent" crowd.

In the years I've been going to the club, I've never been asked if any guest I was bringing in was on a different flight. Unless I'm the exception, I suspect it's not a matter of policy to ask every member if their guest is leaving at the same time due to liability issues, etc.

I've also had the situation, say, at the SFO club where I went to the restroom and it was being cleaned so I walked out to use the restroom outside. I've never been called back and asked if I'm leaving, did I bring a guest, where is that guest, and so on.

I also find it interesting that no one has slammed the "meet up" thread here in FT where members are willing to "guest" in total strangers into the club. Then again, I wouldn't want to get into a long discussion of that existentialist question, "What is a guest?"
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by honmani2
Interesting thread. Looks like it's the "rules are rules" crowd vs. the "rules are meant to be bent" crowd.
Both answers are wrong, of course. I wish the disclaimer "Nothing in this manual supersedes common sense" from the CO of old had survived long enough to make it into the merged entity.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Both answers are wrong, of course. I wish the disclaimer "Nothing in this manual supersedes common sense" from the CO of old had survived long enough to make it into the merged entity.
Love that common sense quote. I mean, I think most people would be seriously up in arms if that cbrown5294's elderly mother had been kicked out because her flight was delayed and his was not. That's pretty common sense to me.

Count me in the "rules can sometimes be bent when there's not a meaningful negative impact on the company or other customers" crowd.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jewels421
Love that common sense quote. I mean, I think most people would be seriously up in arms if that cbrown5294's elderly mother had been kicked out because her flight was delayed and his was not. That's pretty common sense to me.

Count me in the "rules can sometimes be bent when there's not a meaningful negative impact on the company or other customers" crowd.
This.

Lost in this whole debate is the crass behavior of the lounge dragon. Anyone who complains when we refer to them as "lounge dragons" should refer to this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.