Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest made to leave UA club when I left

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
so where is the exclusivity?

P-Clubs, Red Carpet Clubs what have you used to feel like an actual upscale amentity not just a dumping ground for credit card holders or day pass users or the moochers on the "guest me in wiki" to come in and feast on crappy cheese, crackers, and mediocre booze.

This opens up the floodgates though about what rights do clubmembers have as far as a guest. Think of it it this way: a couple buys a seat in F and Y. The thought is you are entitled to swap out halfway, 3/4 whatever because in their minds why should the airline care. They paid for two seats and sure the airline will claim some security/integrity/etc issue but they have two seats and should have them. Applying this to the guest example, the club allows members to bring a guest. In the clubmembers mind if his flight leaves before the guest why should the other guy be forced to leave for something that is being paid for.

So whether it is right or wrong...I dunno. I think I take issue with the fact that people can easily game the system by posting on the wiki and not shell out the $100s of yearly costs. It crowds the clubs, the service has gone downhill fast, and it literally is a place to grab a paper, use the toilet, grab a snack and head to the gate for me.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
My personal feeling is that I should be allowed to have as many guests as I want while nobody else should be allowed that because the clubs are too crowded.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
I'm curious as to why the dragon, er, receptionist, even initiated the issue with OP - why would she/he bother to ask whether the guest and the member were on different flights, unless crowding has become a problem at that particular club?

And if crowding is a problem, then it's silly to decry enforcement of a rule that IS on the books, even if it isn't enforced when not needed.

Unprovoked rudeness and attitude (and maybe even PROVOKED rudeness and attitude) are less conscionable, however.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I think I take issue with the fact that people can easily game the system by posting on the wiki and not shell out the $100s of yearly costs. It crowds the clubs, the service has gone downhill fast, and it literally is a place to grab a paper, use the toilet, grab a snack and head to the gate for me.
sorry, you really think that a few dozen FT'ers giving/receiving free access for an hour or two a week is what has led to club overcrowding and service quality decreases? if you honestly believe that i have a beach house in Arizona on the market...

i've posted looking for access in the Wiki about a dozen times this year and been contacted by another FT'er to gift access exactly once.

similarly, i've offered access a few times and never been contacted by someone seeking access on the same dates and time.

blame Chase and UA for being in bed with them if you are looking for a scapegoat. 2x club passes per year times millions of card holders = a total s*** show in the UC's.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by NYTA
My personal feeling is that I should be allowed to have as many guests as I want while nobody else should be allowed that because the clubs are too crowded.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Lots of posts complaining about the overcrowding of the club and it is better if the guest leaves when the member leaves to combat this "issue". So do you all believe that the overcrowding is because of guests which means at least half the people in the club arent even paying for the membership?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
As for the subject of the post, sorry OP but rules are rules but I do think this rule should not be enforced or be a rule. I think saying that "overcrowding" is an issue is a separate topic as for example, the *A lounge in Istanbul is always full of people (at least the times I flew thru) yet is spacious enough with enough amenities that it isnt really an issue. LHR is another example but this is a rarity for UA and I am glad they are finally doing something in the right direction when it comes to lounges.

Maybe the overcrowding is a UA Club issue as I dont belive that majority of folks are guests so if the guests leave, the club will suddenly become significantly less crowded and provide a better experience.

My 2 cents to OP which I have echoed many times on UA threads, the UA Club especially domestic is nowhere close to world class (IAH for example is pathetic). You sit on a leather seat in a larger room than at the gate, but eat crackers while all the food is outside or being served at a different lounge such as LH (IMO). Literally walked out of UA a few times domestic and internationally (LHR I was impressed with and am happy UA finally has a nice lounge) and went downstairs for wifi, food and drinks.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by trini19
Lots of posts complaining about the overcrowding of the club and it is better if the guest leaves when the member leaves to combat this "issue". So do you all believe that the overcrowding is because of guests which means at least half the people in the club arent even paying for the membership?
I think the guest policy is an element of the overcrowding, but IMO the tipping point was mass marketing the Chase UC card and the two one-time passes given out with the MP explorer card. UACO took the quick and easy 'monetize the asset' route, and maybe along the way garnered some future loyalty from the non-frequent flying public; but you just can't add add add capacity to the program without negative consequences.

SunLover
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Accompanied by another bunch of pedantic rules-are-rules apologist posts justifying customer-unfriendly behavior with rarely-enforced fine-print and fantasy scenarios where the behavior could be pro-customer.
Yes. It's not like the guests must be accompanied by a member at all times policy is unique to United. Or other airline clubs. Or any other private membership clubs for that matter.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
How in the world would the agent know you are leaving separately, especially at a larger club. You walk out and leave your guest, guest leaves latter.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
How in the world would the agent know you are leaving separately, especially at a larger club. You walk out and leave your guest, guest leaves latter.
In reality that is what going to happen, so unless you make a fuss, this is all making a much to do about nothing. It is common sense that guests are linked to their sponsor and are not longer a guest when the sponsor leaves -- this is the common expectation in this situation at any other equivalent guesting situation. But realistically nothing is going to happen.

If the agent was rude then that is a separate issue.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Given that the OP, a customer, finds this very anti-customer, I would assume this statement is intended to be quite sarcastic.
I don't think so, while plenty of people abuse the system, the rules are quite clear. its easy enough to get away with breaking them but that doesn't mean its the intent. OBviously they're too busy at the hubs to notice anything.

My guests have as much a right to be there as I do, and as far as I'm concerned, another member doesn't have more of a right to be there than my guest. Guests of UC members are not second-class citizens.
of course they are, they're not "members" they are your guests, and ought to cop a hike when you do.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UC guests running rampant without their hosts, E+ being given away for free to any and all comers. It's anarchy I tell ya.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It depends how you define the word guest. Looking at the definition on line I see words like invited. One time I was traveling with someone and we went to the airport together. I brought my friend to the club entrance and showed the agent my card and I had a guest but my flight was leaving shortly so I would not have time to enter the club and she let the guest in no problem. This was CO Presidents Club CLE, the agent knows me from all my visits. Heck the EWR agents all know me too.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Accompanied by another bunch of pedantic rules-are-rules apologist posts justifying customer-unfriendly behavior with rarely-enforced fine-print and fantasy scenarios where the behavior could be pro-customer.
How is it customer-unfriendly? The guest is not a customer. The people using the lounge legitimately are the customers. At times I go into the Lounge at SFO international and can't find 2 seats together for me and my wife to sit. I wonder how many "guests" are consuming space that paid flyers should have access to. Protecting that is customer friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.